Ron Goninan

RIP ~ Great Master Ruan Dong

I am very sad to tell you that Great Master Ruan Dong passed away earlier this year (last month). I was informed of this by master Zhen Yin Xi and Yu Dan Qiu, members of the Ming Crane Fist of Fujian Wushu and the Martial arts Association of Calling Crane Kungfu Research Board of China and my White Crane Research Institute member who is currently in YongChun China.

He had been unwell for some time, he - like most Fujian Crane masters smoked rather heavily, plus he was of a good age by Chinese standards.

Great Master Ruan Dong was a mentor and guide to me, he gave of his knowledge and views, sharing what he could with me given the distances between us. He was the Technical Advisor to myself and the White Crane Research Institute, to me, he was a great man who gave everything to Fujian Crane Kungfu, his skill and speed were really in a class of their own. His unique style will not be bettered for a long time I think, but I feel he didn't get as much back as he might have done. I hope somehow that we will be able to give him some of the due credit he deserved.... I love and practice all the Fujian Crane I can get! But I am more determined than ever now to dedicate my school to Great Master Ruan Dong.

There are photos of him in the FangQiNiang Shrine/Museum in YongChun. I will publish them at a later date.

Ron Goninan

White Crane Research Institute

Hi there,

I am very sorry for your lose. I know it must be painful. And what a great lose to the whole world it sounds like... Melanie