LaoTzu21

IBS (irrateble bowel syndrome)

Hi everyone this is a post to explain my frustration in my current life with this syndrome i b s which is a doctors term of *shrug* i don't know what's wrong with you. the symptoms i have are lethargy (tiredness), everything feels a struggle i have to run to the toilet every 5 mins when im working. and when im working i cant focus because of the pain i experience everyday and it only goes away for a brief moment when im eating then hurts more after im eating. ive noticed when i eat fibre it flairs up. im willing to do what it takes to cure myself of this ailment. the two options i have found that im going to try are a 30 day juice fast. and a raw vegan diet. i would like any more suggestions as to some help with this problem i have. i don't feel like im experiencing life to its fullest. i feel like there's always something missing and my love for everything is consumed by the pain inside. im desperate to cure this. i dont want to live my life like this no longer. im meditating every night but yet i cant relax on my meditation because of the pain. ive seen docters and they've done blood tests and all of them have come back normal i have has a ultrasound scan and that was normal too. yet i feel so much pain there. please please help.

heeeere i come to saaave the daaaaaaaay.

No seriously IBS is:

1. stress

2. stressing

3. a lot of stress.

4. Imbalance of good bacteria in the intestines.

5. possibly too much glutenous foods.

I would say talk to your doctor to see if you have a possible intolerance to gluten.

You can increase the good bacteria by eating yogurt, drinking keifer, taking acidophilous capsules (sometimes disagrees with certain people) or drinking kombucha tea.

Avoiding gluten helps your intestines work better. gluten from any source glues up your intestines. glueten is in wheat, oats... do research. gluten is not in corn or rice.

Also dont strain while going it is not worth it. Relax and take deep breaths.

Best of all learn to destress you are going too fast. take your time and relax. No job is worth killing yourself. Learn deep breathing. If you start feeling anxious, tell yourself the thing that is bothering you is irrelevant- that will help you destress.

Thats what helped me get over it years ago.

Pink Light

IBS may be caused by liver chi stagnation.

Some helpful diet and exercise tips

Durkhrod Chogori is the man to speak to on these forums.

Good luck

This is good advice too... especially with the diet suggestions.

I had some of the same symptoms plus spicy/greasy food caused sour-acidreflux like in the diet recommendations.

Diet recommendations say to avoid grains and potatoes... grains and potatoes are gluten.

heeeere i come to saaave the daaaaaaaay.

No seriously IBS is:

1. stress

2. stressing

3. a lot of stress.

4. Imbalance of good bacteria in the intestines.

5. possibly too much glutenous foods.

I would say talk to your doctor to see if you have a possible intolerance to gluten.

You can increase the good bacteria by eating yogurt, drinking keifer, taking acidophilous capsules (sometimes disagrees with certain people) or drinking kombucha tea.

Avoiding gluten helps your intestines work better. gluten from any source glues up your intestines. glueten is in wheat, oats... do research. gluten is not in corn or rice.

Also dont strain while going it is not worth it. Relax and take deep breaths.

Best of all learn to destress you are going too fast. take your time and relax. No job is worth killing yourself. Learn deep breathing. If you start feeling anxious, tell yourself the thing that is bothering you is irrelevant- that will help you destress.

Thats what helped me get over it years ago.

Pink Light

you actually cured your ibs?

you actually cured your ibs?

Yes for me it was just slowing down relaxing. Learning not to care when people were in a frenzy. Avoiding gluten and just destressing and taking care of all my health needs. Yogurt helped too.

Yes for me it was just slowing down relaxing. Learning not to care when people were in a frenzy. Avoiding gluten and just destressing and taking care of all my health needs. Yogurt helped too.

but that sounds so easy when you put it like that. i feel i cant relax at work and i mean u cant because u need to always focus and get on with the job. i just feel unfit as a human to have a job and do it well. because im focusing on how much it hurts. not intentially focusing but because its always there. and if i ignore this pain which i can do i dont go to the toilet for 3 days.

but that sounds so easy when you put it like that. i feel i cant relax at work and i mean u cant because u need to always focus and get on with the job. i just feel unfit as a human to have a job and do it well. because im focusing on how much it hurts. not intentially focusing but because its always there. and if i ignore this pain which i can do i dont go to the toilet for 3 days.

I know what you mean. You kind of have to reach the point of "Ill try my hardest" but not really care if you do bad. If the manager tells you you are doing a bad job or go faster just say yes sir, right away sir. But just take your time. It is your body and your life. No one deserves to be miserable.

Oh by the way I walked off the job those many years ago that was the source of the stress. The manager told me to go faster and I told him to do it himself then. Of course you have to work but the next day there is always paper routes and job hunting. I have never had a hard time getting a job. If you are a hard worker or have special talents (I build computers) it helps.

Verbally putting down the job you are doing is just a psychological game. Plus managers do it more to those who they KNOW they can push to go faster.

In other words, they dont care about you and your health, so why should you care what they say?

A good way to start on your way to destressing is to read this famous work.

The irony is some time ago Ya Mu asked if I had read this book... Then DB asked if I had read this book. Only recently have I read it

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Good advice has been given here.

The gluten is a big issue as is restoration of your bowels to pristine condition.

All white flour products are extremely irritating to the colon walls and villi...as are most refined, commercial and industrialized food. Go more natural and cut back on that gluten.

Avoid smoking, alcohol, sodas and drugs whenever possible.

Acidophilus and dairy based organisms are good for the bowel, but they are acid and sometimes overused...even creating an imbalance over other organisms if they dominate.

If you choose to use a probiotic to re-establish flora in the bowel then try one with some bacteria infantus varieties as this may be less harsh than just a reliance on only acidophilus. It is the type of bacteria naturally occurring in the colon of infants. A little research on the internet should elaborate on this and most good health food stores will carry a brand with a blend of three or four organisms.

Colon cleansing and fasting is good. I highly recommend this cleanse program and products. But before doing it you must read his first book Cleanse and Purify Thyself Book 1 and the program manual offered for free on the site. This is a detailed cleanse and requires effort and depth of understanding to do it safely and effectively.

http://www.ariseandshine.com/

It's more than just stress...

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1678986

Alot of good advise on there. I would second the apples (of course minus the skin), in fact I would say juicing apples would work well. However if trying to get pectin and malic acid pasteurized apple juice will help also, although i'd recommend "cider" as it's more concentrated.

Also if you're not eating raw I would highly suggest digestive enzymes and probiotic capsules to support colon health. Like said above cut out all sugary snacks, anything with too much INsoluble fiber, white bread, over processed foods. Honey is AMAZING at soothing the digestive system.

In TCM it's mostly caused by "dampness" and "cold winds", which apparently is a typical result of a diet with alot of "cold" foods (cold beverages, over exposure to cold climates, iced teas, iced coffees, sodas, etc), protein-rich foods, going to bed late, mental stress, etc. In Ayurveda it would probably be diagnosed as a "Vata imbalance". Thus it's suggested to eat "warming" foods of the salty and sweet flavors. Avoid root veggeis like potatoes and ALL nightshade veggies, avoid cold foods and avoid dry foods (like chips and such, go for smooth, not crunchy) and nuts/seeds. Also avoid acidic foods like tomaties, peppers and citrus. It would suggest to shoot for things like well cooked oatmeal with banana and honey, veggie soups, mashed carrots and peas, and of course to use small amounts of ghee or butter as "lubrication". Basically the idea is warm, smooth and chewy.

Fermented foods is something I would personally suggest. making your own coleslaw, kimchi and sauerkraut and if you accept dairy to buy raw yogurt from unpasteurized milk.

Of course the best way for anything is to be aware of how certain foods affect you. Gauging the body's response to each food is the best way to find out what you should and should not be eating...however it can also take quite a bit of time :P. Anyway hope this helps some. There's alot of good info our there (and here ;) ) take advantage.

Best of Luck

-Astral

Most IBS/Chron's cases are really Clostridium Difficile and Candida yeast infections.

I highly recommend you culture you own yogurt using a good spore forming bacteria called lactobacillus sporogenes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_sporogenes

Other people here have recommended Bifidobacterium Infantis I am unfamiliar with it but it may also be worth checking out.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

They are both essential, the distinction is this...

All the lactobacilli and acidophilus are acid.

There usefulness is in destroying the "bad" bacteria. So in the initial stages using more of these organisms is beneficial. But after these undesirable organism have been diminished then the probiotic, or diet, should still contain some lacto- organism, but as a minority in the formula. As they will now be used as a low maintenance dose. To use them as a primary organism and in a dose expecting them to be a good implantation medium over the long term can be less effective...maybe even detrimental to this balance. These are the killers...of bad bacteria.

But for implantation of good bacteria and the promotion of the growth of good bacteria for a strong immune system, the assimilation of vitamins, proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and for the manufacture of B-vitamins (including B-12), vitamin K and various amino acids....then you consider and make primary the bifidobacterium. These are the builders.

Here is an example with the probiotic formula from the Arise and Shine site I provided. You will find different formulas may contain different varieties. But the principle between Bifido- and the Lacto- is a consistent consideration. I know many that just take acidophilus and think that is all there is to it.

Ingredients: ARISE & SHINE PROBIOTIC MIX: Bifidobacterium infantis, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus Acidophilus DDS-1, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, Bifidobacterium breve.
Edited by metal dog

I do know of a few people who have managed this problem quite well with all the advices given in all these posts here so far.

Usually, if honest with oneself, one can rattle of instantly what they may be doing to create or perpetuate this condition. And it then becomes a matter of choosing your path and seeing it through over time.

Edited by metal dog

I do know of a few people who have managed this problem quite well with all the advices given in all these posts here so far.

Usually, if honest with oneself, one can rattle of instantly what they may be doing to create or perpetuate this condition. And it then becomes a matter of choosing your path and seeing it through over time.

One thing to note is that most commercial probiotics don't actually survive being dried out. You essentially pay for a bottle of dried out dead bacteria. I know lactobacillus sporogenes also known as bacillus coagulans forms spores which survive intact in powdered form.

I highly recommend it.

I had UC for 14 years, which is far worse than IBS, and after making big changes in my life I finally regain health almost 7 years ago. There are many good advice in the posts above. But having been there before, I would highly encourage you to first start any group activity that make you laugh, give you fun, joy, etc, as to give your brain a brake from dwelling on your malady. I highly recomend you jumping into a social dance like lambada, salsa or rock... You'll have a nice shot of sex hormones ;) , connect with your body and others, regain trust on your social abilities, have fun like when you were a child, etc. Once I got a happier attitude towards life I could gave the next step: be my own boss, depelop a job on my own. Only then I could fully engage with qigong & taiji.

Can't say chinese medicine & qigong won't help you in your state, in my case it did not. Have a try at them. But real changes involve walking through three doors: body, emotions and mind.

Feel free to PM me, I'm not fluent enough in english to give you a detailed account on my journey, but would be glad to help you.

Probiotics can be beneficial in the treatment of IBS, taking 10 billion to 100 billion beneficial bacteria per day is recommended for beneficial results. However, further research is needed on individual strains of beneficial bacteria for more refined recommendations. A number of probiotics have been found to be effective including: Lactobacillus plantarum and Bifidobacteria infantis; however, one review found that only Bifidobacteria infantis showed efficacy. Some yogurt is made using probiotics that may help ease symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.

A formula designed to eliminate yeast and kill off bad bacteria...with a higher proportion of acidophilus and lacto- organisms.

Ingredients:A & S's Probiotic Mix: (L. acidophilus DDS-1, E. faecium, L. casei, L. bulgaricus, L. plantarum, L. salivarius), A&S's Enzyme Mix: (Protease, Amylase, Lipase)

Edited by metal dog

can someone give me a breakdown of what i actually have to do. thers a lot of suggestions but what is the definite answer?

There is a lot of good information that has been mentioned already.

All I can say is I did have IBS now I dont. I would check to see if others have had it and had their own solutions work for them.

Juicing is a bad idea. I tried it and suffered immensely. Your body tries to clean itself out too fast and with IBS i was running to the crapper every 15 minutes. The discomfort was horrible after the apple juice recommendation.

Unfortunately in the end you will have to decide LaoTzu21. I know its difficult especially when one is unsure about the right course. All I can say is how I rebalanced my system. Its probably better than something from a cure website.

You could also consider talking to a real herbalist. That may afford more peace of mind. I suggest Carlos: http://users.wirefire.com/herbalist/

If you go through the on-line evaluation and communicate with him he can prescribe what you need taylored to what imbalances you have. He has helped me with a few different problems. My stepfather is not diabetic anymore. My stepfather also doesnt have heart disease anymore. Sounds too good to be true? But it is actually true.

I can only tell you what I know but Carlos Guerra is a real herbalist.

P.s. he is an herbalist, not a spiritual advisor. Please read everything carefully. If you have questions, ask him. I believe there is an evaluation fee.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

can someone give me a breakdown of what i actually have to do. thers a lot of suggestions but what is the definite answer?

No one here is qualified to TELL you what to do. Even if they are physicians they are not YOUR physician. Many have taken the time to give you what could be some really good advice, but NEVER look to a forum of any kind for someone to tell you exactly what to do. ALWAYS do your own research. It is YOUR body.

I have seen IBS in many people over the years in my clinic. I have had very good results applying the therapeutics of Taoist Medicine and Medical Qigong Therapy for its body balancing effects.

But here is another anecdotal piece of info for you. I have a friend that takes a product called Blue Heron. It is manufactured by Integrative Therapeutics Corp. He tells me it works really well for him.

For relaxation, I find listening to Native American flute music to be very good.

• Like 1

LT21,

Have you read this book?

Unwinding the Belly

I am no expert but I wonder if it might help - I have practiced the exercises and they are good as far as I can tell - very beneficial for overall health and particularly digestive issues.

No one here is qualified to TELL you what to do. Even if they are physicians they are not YOUR physician. Many have taken the time to give you what could be some really good advice, but NEVER look to a forum of any kind for someone to tell you exactly what to do. ALWAYS do your own research. It is YOUR body.

This is wisdom.

And with that repeat my message...

Edited by metal dog

This is wisdom.

And with that repeat my message...

for now im going to read the 80 10 10 diet im sure this will help my problems with dietry advice. but im sure ibs is linked to dietry issues. hopefully its not a symptom just all on its own or is it?

Edited by LaoTzu21

Laotzu,

I am willing to bet a round of lactobacillus sporogenes (also known as Bacillus coagulans) made into a yogurt and consumed daily till your bottle of bacteria runs out will fix your IBS symptoms.

If you decide to try lactobacillus sporogenes as a treatment and it doesn't fix your problem I will personally refund the cost of a bottle via paypal to you.

Most people diagnosed with IBS really have Clostridium difficile infections. C. Diff is a bad spore forming bacteria that produces toxins that attack your intestines causing the IBS symptoms.

Also a yeast called candida can cause IBS symptoms.

Flooding your GI tract with lactobacillus sporogenes yogurt each morning for a month+ will most likely restore balance to your intestinal flora.

Most commercial probiotics you buy are going to be dead bacteria as they do not survive dehydration, lactobacillus sporogenes forms spores which survive the dehydration process.

What I recommend you do is to buy a bottle of lactobacillus sporogenes off amazon, and make a yogurt with it using milk. Pour one pill into a pint of milk before bed, close the cap and shake. Drink it in the morning and do that until all your lactobacillus sporogenes pills are used up.

I know a lot about this topic as it's affected me, and several people I know personally. The lactobacillus sporogenes bacteria seems to readily colonize the colon and restore balance.

Other people here have suggest other strains of bacteria which may also be useful if lactobacillus sporogenes fails you.

That's just my $0.02. I hope you feel better.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

Ya Mu is right. He is the most qualified here IMHO. I have heard of Blue Heron.

Learning Stillness-Movement from Ya Mu would help too.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit