Owledge

Automotive question

I ask here because there are many people from the US here. I have a very specific question. I've read that about 20% of cars in the US have a manual gearbox. When someone in a comment on a website noted the problem of standing at traffic lights behind someone in a manual-gearbox car, whose car might roll back and crash into yours if you didn't keep distance, I was wondering: Is it true that the handbrake (I guess in the US it's called emergency brake) is usually foot-operated in US cars? Is there a connection between the type of this brake and the type of transmission? I would assume that in a car with manual transmission a handbrake is seen as mandatory, because it helps in exactly such cases as mentioned above. While you can get going on a slope using the brake pedal if you're quick, in Germany it's taught to more or less gradually release the handbrake while starting with a gradually engaged clutch.

Here in Germany I've seen only maybe one or two cars with a pedal-type emergency brake my whole life.

Is it true that the handbrake (I guess in the US it's called emergency brake) is usually foot-operated in US cars? Is there a connection between the type of this brake and the type of transmission?

I'm not from the States but our cars aren't really different. My parents had a car back from the 90's that had a foot-operated handbrake, and it was automatic. Not sure if foot-operated handbrakes are even around anymore (gladly so since they are near impossible to use).

As for using them while stopped uphill, if they are hand operated you would engage the clutch where it grips and gradually release the handbrake (something not possible if they were foot operated, or unless you had a third foot!). Like you said if you are fast enough I can't imagine a scenario where this is really necessary, unless you are climbing an extreme hill with someone almost touching your bumper (in which case it would still be their fault if you hit them, for being too close to you, at least that's the rule here).

It'd be much simpler if they all had hand brakes for manuals, but a law to make it so is stupid :P That's the one disappointment I have with my explorer, I happened to find one with a manual transmission; its got the dang foot e-brake though! But, the reactive 4wd works pretty well, so I guess its not really absolutely needed for advanced maneuvers....but it'd help ;) I got used to having it at the hand with my last couple cars, its nice to have when you're in the snow.

Oh, rolling backwards at lights? C'mon, gotta be quick with the footwork! Of course, I learned on manuals and every vehicle I've owned was manual, so I'm used to it :D

I love heel&toe! :D Braking before a corner and at the same time shifting down while adjusting the revs for a smooth gearchange.

That's why in my main car I got aftermarket pedals - wider ones. It's a bit more difficult with OEM pedals, but with some practice it works well, too.

Edited by Hardyg

Well, with wider pedals you don't have to rotate the foot. Heel&Toe becomes left-right-side-of-foot.