Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Overtone singing

I'm all over Mongolian and Siberian overtone singing which I was first introduced to by Max (he can do it!) It is the second most powerful sound effect I've ever experienced (second only to live icaros of Peruvian shamans). I found a tutorial online and started practicing a bit. So far the results have been... I suck... but it still feels great!.. -- not the sucking part, the reverberation of some strings inside I never knew existed, which happens if I manage, just briefly, to get it right...

I love the sound and vibration from listening to people who can do this. I always wanted to have a go but have had no luck trying to work out how to do it.

Can you recall the website?

I had no idea what this was called but have some private experiences. So I am not sure what to make of it. :unsure: Well enough about me. I am interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with it.

I know you really have to relax your throat and vocal cords to do it. I have had people tell me to knock it off because it sounds like more than one person singing a song... or some type of shaman like sounding in the background. If that helps at all.

In person I have never yet heard, as far as I know, anyone singing like this before.

I had no idea what this was called but have some private experiences. So I am not sure what to make of it. :unsure: Well enough about me. I am interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with it.

I know you really have to relax your throat and vocal cords to do it. I have had people tell me to knock it off because it sounds like more than one person singing a song... or some type of shaman like sounding in the background. If that helps at all.

In person I have never yet heard, as far as I know, anyone singing like this before.

Not just more than one person... more than one species!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DY1pcEtHI_w

David Hyke's Harmonic World

Hi Mal,

Don't know if you are familiar with David Hykes. He has been involved with this sort of music since the 1970s, with a group called the Harmonic Choir.

He has an online training program, Harmonic Presence:

"There is space available for the 2010-2011 HARMONIC PRESENCE ONLINE PROGRAM,

for students around the world to have online sessions with David Hykes, to be immersed in a "music of the spheres," the Harmonic Chant lineage practices, and the Harmonic Presence contemplative awareness and healing work."

I love the sound and vibration from listening to people who can do this. I always wanted to have a go but have had no luck trying to work out how to do it.

Can you recall the website?

I was wandering through this website today and saw a few video's on it - it's a good site to play the video sound as you look for the other.

Another on Chakra mantra harmonics

Edited by ~jK~

Hi all,

I know I'm missing something... But am I the only one that could not listen to that. My goodness! It maid me want to crawl out of my skin...lol

Now I'm sure it has some kind of spiritual connection. I'm sorry, I hope not to offend. I live in an area with a lot of Native Americans they sing in away that is close, but much more beautiful. Maybe I just didn't hear the right person...

Ok take care Mel

I love the overtone singing. I usually do a sequence of tones using overtone singing while meditating. It makes it more effective. You'd have a tone, and an overtone which is of the same harmonic so then, when combined the effect becomes amplified. Gregorian chants used the 'holy' solfeggio scales and when combined with overtones the effect is amazing. It can also be called harmonic chanting.

I haven't really learned professionally but I figured that oneof the easiest ways for me to learn was to practice saying "wwwrrrrwww" and then play with that, opening and closing the lips more or less, making the tongue position tighter or looser, it makes a sort of cup like described in that video with spiky black haired guy.

But there are probably other techniques you can find, and different types of 'overtone singing' as well.

These guys are incredible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5lwpnoOmQ

David Hykes is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQLP8dzMeE&feature=related

Edited by Non

These are buddhist ones which have a much harsher voice. These are called "gutteral" i think. It's harder for me to get those down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMfnNIx5XMU

"The Gyuto Monks of Tibet are the unique masters of a deep harmonic overtone chanting. Trained over many years, each monk has the capacity to chant in three octaves at once."

this old guy is funny lol

Edited by Non

This little guy doesn't seem to like it, either.

That is awesome, that little baby was like no way!

My dogs even give me dirty looks...lol Mel

I like the kind that vibrates the lower centers. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFqawKc06IU

here's a tutorial on that type called 'kargyraa

http://www.graspr.com/videos/Throat-Singing-Tutorial-2

that one's a bit harder for me, probably since I've had asthma since I was young, and it feels more like Im just scratching my throat and it feels itchy and makes me cough when Im doing it.

Edited by Non

I love throat singing - I've been a fan of it since I first heard The Kronos Quartet's version of Kongurei.

I've seen Hun Huur Tuu in concert - absolutely breathtaking!

I tried it myself but its tough and I don't have the respiratory system for it (asthma).

Check out Genghis Blues - a movie about a blind American blues singer who taught himself how to do it after hearing it on a Russian radio broadcast on short wave. He then traveled to Tuva. Great film.

Sign in to follow this