Sign in to follow this  
Mokona

Tea!

I was also curious about teas that "are good for chi" if that makes any sense at all. :blush:

Pu erh tea is beneficial to chi, probably because it has detoxifying effects on the blood.

I also recommend Tie Guanyin also called "Iron Buddha" or "Iron Avalokitesvara" :) (an oolong variety). Very floral taste (like roses) and sweet buttery aftertaste which lasts for hours. I still have the taste in my mouth 4 hours later. I would say this tea falls half way between a green (taste and aroma) and a black tea (aftertaste). Highly recommended!!

Yep it's very nice, also very good with fresh ginger.

since this is about tea selection, any idea what kinds of tea have the least fluoride? I'm looking into Yerba Mate since it claims to have the least fluoride and more antioxidants than green tea, but have not found a single source that actually lists it in ppm.

I don't mind Yerba Mate but it's more of a coffee like taste IMHO and tends to make me a bit too "hyper"

I use to drink a blend in the morning and wonder why I would rush about trying to get everything done as fast as possible to move on to the next thing at work. Probably good for work :lol: and a nice energy boost, but I like to be a bit more relaxed.

karen, on 25 November 2008 - 12:01 PM, said:

I think the key to safe tea drinking is in brewing it weakly

I was under the impression that once tea is in water beyond 10 min or so, its antioxidant properties will begin declining.

dust and pesticide residue. Washing the leaves with hot water prior brewing does the trick.

I have heard that advice before from someone selling high quality Chinese green tea, and it makes sense now you mention it.

Wish all tea was grown in low-fluoride soil so perhaps we would have the best of both worlds.

I highly reccomend you to get a nice purple earthenware pot, can't remember the proper name for it

but they're great. Single serving style, you sip it out the spout if you wanna be real traditional about it :)

I saw someone already reccomended Tie Kuan Yin (my acupuncturist says it's strong for the stomach, but exactly what he means by that i'll have to get back to you on), that one is a favourite to enjoy out of earthenware pots.

There is one Tie Kuan Yin variety that has a much more intense flowery taste, Tie Kuan Yi laplap hoa.

Also a green tea called Hua Bi Luo, excellent taste!

Otherwise get a chinese porcelain tea-brewer and hit it with any loose, non cut leaves: green, white (Mao Feng is very nice), oolong, black tea (Try the slightly expensive Kusmi brand Assam, ho-lee...) and it'll taste great and the balance of tastes and bitterness will be easier to control.

IMHO is that any kind of metal that comes in contact for longer than a second with the tea during and after brewing will make the taste more bitter and produce higher amounts of that pesky acid that can give your stomach an unpleasant flush. Also, never let any tea simmer too long, the boquet mixes up and becomes very unison if it gets too strong...

OT: i wish i knew more herbology.

YiXing pots made from zisha clay. They are nice. I had several, one conditioned for each type of tea I regularly drink. ALL of them got smashed in a recent move. Some of them I had been using regularly for years.

Now, I use porcelain for them all. TiQuanYin is a favorite of mine too. All woody or flowery Oolongs make my heart sing. Puerh is the one I drink most these days. As for tisanes ("teas" made from plants other than actual tea), my taiji teacher has suggested ginger tea with a little brown sugar.

Does anyone have any comment on the Guayaki brand bottled Yerba Mate. It has 140 mg of "naturally occurring" caffeine.

Is this something one should have maybe once a week? I've had one daily for five days. I don't know if I want to make it a habit. I don't normally consume caffeine.

Sign in to follow this