Sign in to follow this  
Trunk

Gentle Almost-Isometric Kneeling Ab-Wheel Qi Gong

Here's a qi gong variation of kneeling ab-wheel. Kneeling, you roll out a very modest distance - enough to engage your abdominals, but not nearly anywhere so far as in actual strength training. While holding that position, you then breathe down through your abdominals, in a sort of moderate version of scrotal compression / Dr. Lin's sexual chi kong breathing. Experiment with moving the ab-wheel several inches in either direction, and repeat. Further experiment with the breathing method in wheel positions incrementally closer to the knees, to as close as several inches (keeping some pressure on the wheel so that the abs are engaged). That's it.

The obvious purpose of this training is to be able to maintain healthy jing flow, and top~to~bottom integration, while in the midst of abdominal muscular contraction. This has applications in smoothing out arousal.

CAUTION: You'll find that once you get the jing flow really through the abs, that you'll relax and your strength will give out to some degree, so don't put yourself in such an extended position that you'd put your back in danger when that happens. Again, this method is a qi gong variation, not strength training - so don't get all macho about it and extend the wheel to your muscular limits. Just go out about half as far as you would for strength training.

Oh, and here's me workin' on the ab-wheel B)

(Just the regular "kneeling ab-wheel for strength", I don't go out quite as far for the qi gong variation.)

AbWheelKneeling.jpg

Edited by Trunk

I don't have an ab wheel, but I think I can check it out w/o. Sounds like another cool drill!

Trunk, I'm not familar with scrotal compression / Lin's stuff ... but do you think I could get similar benefits by, let's say, rolling out on the ab wheel 60% of my max, then resting there for a minute or two "standing chi kung style" ... like, with the intent to release any musculature unnecessary to sustaining the position efficiently.

Sean

Trunk, I'm not familar with scrotal compression / Lin's stuff ...

Just the static posture isn't what I'm after with this method; basically, the breathing is to breathe down through the front layers of your body; breath down through your abdominal muscles. .. while they're mildly muscularly engaged. The breathing isn't really any more complicated than that: consider yourself now "well informed".

:)

(Though I'll go back and edit my previous post, with a link to Lin's stuff.)

I don't have an ab wheel, but I think I can check it out w/o. Sounds like another cool drill!

Hey, dingus!, get one! The simple ones (and that's all you need) are less than $10 (mine was like, 7 or 9 bucks). Very handy for stomach stuff (last section of linked page).

AbWheel.jpg

Whoa, that you in the picture B) ? You've been working out.

Yup, before I started blending my vegies. Watch out! :lol:

Edited by Trunk

I've been continuing to mess with this technique, and find that its really good for qi gonging through my abdomenals.

Trunk, I'm not familar with scrotal compression / Lin's stuff ...
You might check out "Lin's Links" for a description of how this fits in. Back in the day at the HT forum, it was a big big break-through learning about Lin's method. The linked page makes it very accessable.

I've also started doing it without the wheel. Just on hands & knees, a little presure of hands twds knees, and do the breathing technique.

hands_knees_vectors.jpg

All this stuff is now on the Dealing with the Force page (along w/ squats, kb's).

Edited by Trunk

Trunk, you never cease to amaze me. "Next level shit", as my younger brother would say.

I've just gone and got myself an abs wheel, but I still have a way to go with the Qigong yet.

Sign in to follow this