hammer

Personal Retreat

Sorry in advance if this is elsewhere on the site, I'm posting from my phone and it would take me all day to do a search.

Anyway, I have been thinking of taking a 4 day weekend and taking a backpacking trip into the woods alone for a personal Meditation/Chi Kung/Kung Fu retreat. I have never done anything of the sort before, and I wanted to ask here if anybody had any insights into this kind of a thing.

I'm a noob as far as actually doing Chi Kung goes but am a bit of a nerd and have read some on the topic. My sifu will also be willing to help me out with this. I have meditated before so I am not worried about that either. The thing that I'm not sure about is how to structure the whole thing as far as where to place my activities throughout the day. I want to include time for reading the Tao Te Ching and for hiking about and just keeping myself reminded that I am a natural beast.

Like I said, I'm looking for some insights if anyone has them. Thanks

Very cool! Do you necessarily need any sort of schedule? Naturally certain things like time to eat will arise on a schedule, but it sounds like you might even benefit from having a certain handful of things you'd like to get done, but enjoy the time as you see fit (meditation is under enjoyable things in my book, so... :lol: ) and not worry about the starting or stopping, just act naturally, practice, contemplate, enjoy yourself!

Great idea. If the weather is okay and its not going to rain, try a night bivouac style; sleeping outside. There's some extra magic in it- warm bag and insect repellent may be required.

Michael Winn of the healing tao us site had a good article on living in a taoist cave. He took it to an extreme level ..ie piss drinking.

I'd suggest work on long sitting. When in nature the real magic happens when you sit somewhere beautiful, stay there beyond mind chatter, boredom, stiffness, sitting til you forget everything.

Michael

I have never done anything of the sort before, and I wanted to ask here if anybody had any insights into this kind of a thing.

All that really matters is:

• don't get lost
  • keep a knife on you
  • drink water

Sorry in advance if this is elsewhere on the site, I'm posting from my phone and it would take me all day to do a search.

Anyway, I have been thinking of taking a 4 day weekend and taking a backpacking trip into the woods alone for a personal Meditation/Chi Kung/Kung Fu retreat. I have never done anything of the sort before, and I wanted to ask here if anybody had any insights into this kind of a thing.

I'm a noob as far as actually doing Chi Kung goes but am a bit of a nerd and have read some on the topic. My sifu will also be willing to help me out with this. I have meditated before so I am not worried about that either. The thing that I'm not sure about is how to structure the whole thing as far as where to place my activities throughout the day. I want to include time for reading the Tao Te Ching and for hiking about and just keeping myself reminded that I am a natural beast.

It's very important to go somewhere you won't see other people, or at least an isolated area you can be alone in a more populous spot. It's nice to be in a place where you can hang out naked and not worry. Really nice if you can find nice rocks and boulders to do qi gong and Zhan Zhuang on and then get energy from the rocks. Really very powerful. Try to go around barefoot, especially hanging on the rocks.

My big advice is to pack in somewhere for a day, set up camp, and then hang there or take exploratory day hikes from your base camp. Backpacking everyday on a short trip will take up too much energy, plus it takes you until day 3 or 4 just to feel good carrying the pack and not sore. Bring a camp chair, or the Therma Lounger or something you can sit in and be comfortable, and also something you can meditate on.

Don't worry too much about how to structure the day. You may even want to sit quietly and just watch and listen for an hour here and there.

Sometimes a flask of bourbon is nice for sipping some whiskey prior to dinner, not too much though.

Try to have access to a promontory, or somewhere you can get up higher with a view off a mountain or valley. It's a great thing to be able to actually be up somewhere to watch the dawn and the sunrise. Consider getting up at 3:30 and meditating until you watch the sunrise.

You might think about fasting for a day, or just drinking Master Cleanser or something like that for a day.

I agree with thelerner, sleep out under the stars. I never sleep in a tent unless it's raining, or unless the Summer insects are too intense.

If you bring reading, make sure it's something like the Tao Te Ching or Dhammapada, don't bring anything too mental or involved. You want to be able to read something and meditate on it. Don't bring some Tom Clancy novels. Do bring a journal. Bring something to draw or paint with, even if you're not artistic.

Access to water to dunk in is incredibly cleansing and purifying, you can do a ritual where you spiritually offer up all your impurities before submersing yourself in water. Works even better if it's cold and takes some resolve to get into. Also, getting into the water many times per day will clean your aura and make you high in a good way. Camping near water with the ability to climb up a nearby ridge is a great choice.

Where in the country are you?

Very cool! Do you necessarily need any sort of schedule? Naturally certain things like time to eat will arise on a schedule, but it sounds like you might even benefit from having a certain handful of things you'd like to get done, but enjoy the time as you see fit (meditation is under enjoyable things in my book, so... :lol: ) and not worry about the starting or stopping, just act naturally, practice, contemplate, enjoy yourself!

really good advice! :)

if you make yourself too structured, or too eager to "accomplish" something, you'll never get the full benefit of that experience. use some of that time to throw out the rule books and get to know YOU and YOUR NATURE a little better.

i spent 4 1/2 months in Waimea Canyon back in 2004. as soon as a few things stabilize around here over the next year, i plan on doing another personal retreat in either Arizona or New Mexico. i'd be happy to offer you any advice if you have any specific questions. just PM me.

but at the same time, you're only going out for like 3 1/2 days, so probably one of the best things you can do is take it as it comes. be safe, but not too safe. don't over-plan such a short trip, but don't try to make ridiculous hiking excursions, either. just enjoy yourself, and respect your limits. ;)

I've done lots of backpacking in my day. Plan your destination around water. Make sure you set base camp near a water source. Should point out that I'm a desert rat and did most of my wandering in areas where water was scarce. You should have a water purification filter. Pack light, take only the essentials. From then on just let your days and nights unfold on their own. Enjoy!!

Thanks for the input, all. I am from New Jersey and will probably be going into the Catskills somewhere or if I feel like driving further maybe the Adirondacks. I really haven't put much thought into it yet. I just got the idea to do this a short while ago and if it works out well there will be a small handful of this type of thing strewn throughout the year for as long as they suit me.

I've done this several times. Minimum 7 days though up to 15 days. If you want some real benefit don't read Tao Te Ching. Even if it is a good book, Insight comes from inside. Give yourself the chance to have your own insights, then you can look at the book after and reflect on it. You will acheive more. Walking is good (don't start doing pushups or hard exercises) and you definately need a timetable. Don't want to be thinking about it when your there. Infact you want to be thinking as little as possible. Leave electronic gadgets at home. I have my own goals so my timetable is something like

6-7:30 meditate

7:30-8:30 breakfast & walk

8:30-10:00 meditate

10-11 stretch / rest

11-12:30 meditate

12:30-1:30 lunch + walk

etc heaps of meditating you might notice. Prob go to bed around 9-10 with the same sorta pattern. Even though your sitting around lots it's not easy. Sometimes in the early days i shout and scream and punch the ground like i just can't take it any more. At about 6 days all start becomming relaxed and being able to persist without fustration. At 10 days it really starts to work well and you get awesome results. After that you progress still but much slower. Then it's good to try to continue to keep the same mindset but begin comming back into society and keeping the same mindset while ur at work etc. Then after you get good at it you don't need to go away by yourself, you can get the same result anytime anywhere. =]

I don't know where you live so any advice regarding how you should do this is best based on the climate and topography of you selected area.

I wouldn't worry about how to structure your training because if you are a novice at camping, and living in nature, that should be you main emphasis.

1. Don't aim at building your refuge. It takes too long and most times its too volatile to weather and other variables.

2. Bring a tent you don't need to maintain, l.e. self-supporting. This makes you independent on the nature of the ground being rock or earth.

3. Bring a good foundation for sleeping. Therm-a-rest or the like. Best is self inflating hiking matrasses.

4. Use a suitable and not too heavy sleeping bag that takes up too much space in your backpack.

5. Find a flat surface yet slightly slanting to prevent accumulation of vapour or water if rain.

6. Never place a tent near still water. Running water is good.

7. Bring a burner for cooking. Making fire takes time away from your activites.

8. Bring easy to make food- For same reason as above.

9. Don't place your camp more than half a day's hike from nearest road or human habitation.

10. Mak sure you dress and stay dry; use light shoes, yet bring water resistant shoes for backup. No use doing qigong while wet and/or cold.

The actual practice of just being in nature and keeping silent is enough. Any sort of "doing" should come naturally. Why bring your agenda to where there's no need for agendas besides the obvious.

Just my 2 norwegian kroner.

All basic advice to cut time on actual camping-practicalities, and maximizing cultivation time.