al.

Body Imaging

Body imaging can be described as layering one part of the body over another. It is a well-known technique and forms the basis of reflexology and many aspects of traditional Asian medicine.

Essentially, the trunk of the body, the pelvis, spine, neck, head, and the organs can be transposed onto any bone along the limbs; the base of the bone corresponding to the lower part of the body, the head of the bone corresponding to the top. When there is illness in, let's say, the neck, it can be treated by using the associated neck part of the distal bone.

It can be applied in many other ways too, for example, imaging the whole of the body onto the ear, or the face, or the abdomen. In this way, one part of the body can be used to diagnose another part. This is the idea behind pulse and tongue diagnosis, and also face reading.

This way of seeing the body can be remarkably effective with treating illness. How can it be explained?

From a Western medical perspective, the only viable explanation would be due to the nervous system, as the different nerves that run out from the spine reach and span different parts of the body. This isn't satisfactory though, as these nerve zones/dermatomes, don't correspond with many traditional mappings.

Looking for answers in Eastern sources seems quite difficult- the common answer is, 'this is how it is, it works, what's more to know?'

The closest understanding I can reach, is similar the the concept of Indra's net of jewels, which is a metaphor for the interconnectivity and interbeing of every single thing. The part reflects the whole, the whole reflects the part; microcosm and macrocosm are inseperable. Within every person, the whole world is contained...

If we are to work along these lines, there comes some profound implications. I am reminded of the Kahunas of the Ho'oponopono traditional who heal people without ever meeting them, and succeed working purely on themselves.

So, I'm trying to research body imaging and need some help... any suggestions?

a

Body imaging can be described as layering one part of the body over another. It is a well-known technique and forms the basis of reflexology and many aspects of traditional Asian medicine.

Essentially, the trunk of the body, the pelvis, spine, neck, head, and the organs can be transposed onto any bone along the limbs; the base of the bone corresponding to the lower part of the body, the head of the bone corresponding to the top. When there is illness in, let's say, the neck, it can be treated by using the associated neck part of the distal bone.

It can be applied in many other ways too, for example, imaging the whole of the body onto the ear, or the face, or the abdomen. In this way, one part of the body can be used to diagnose another part. This is the idea behind pulse and tongue diagnosis, and also face reading.

This way of seeing the body can be remarkably effective with treating illness. How can it be explained?

From a Western medical perspective, the only viable explanation would be due to the nervous system, as the different nerves that run out from the spine reach and span different parts of the body. This isn't satisfactory though, as these nerve zones/dermatomes, don't correspond with many traditional mappings.

Looking for answers in Eastern sources seems quite difficult- the common answer is, 'this is how it is, it works, what's more to know?'

The closest understanding I can reach, is similar the the concept of Indra's net of jewels, which is a metaphor for the interconnectivity and interbeing of every single thing. The part reflects the whole, the whole reflects the part; microcosm and macrocosm are inseperable. Within every person, the whole world is contained...

If we are to work along these lines, there comes some profound implications. I am reminded of the Kahunas of the Ho'oponopono traditional who heal people without ever meeting them, and succeed working purely on themselves.

So, I'm trying to research body imaging and need some help... any suggestions?

a

Isn't holographic theory that one part contains the whole?

Holographic theory does state that, but the OP's question can be better explained with connective fascia.

The meridians are fascial nets surrounding muscles and giving them their bounds and shape, and permeating the various organs. It's piezo-electric (collagen shears and creates a tiny charge, telling the osteoclasts what not to eat and then the osteoblasts lay down new fibers) so it actually transmits charge and impulses from regions like your feet all the way up to your skull and everywhere in between. Did I mention impulses can travel at six times the speed of nerve?

The body also has a network of pathways for light (primarily ultraviolet) reaching from the skin down into your insides. The electrical resistance along these paths and the major places where they intersect (more commonly known as acupuncture points) is much lower than the surrounding skin and tissues.

The fascial tissues themselves are basically a giant liquid crystal. =D

Edited by unmike

These two replies are most eloquent and the most pertinent to your query.

The hologram is the best analogy to understand this aspect of the nervous system conceptually (especially when it comes to vision and all types of memory)

But as an analogy it does not cover all the considerations regarding the entire nervous system and all of its functions.

The second response is the "meat and potatoes". And the "gravy" is all that remains to be discovered in this realm.

Edited by metal dog

Very interesting. I definitely think this is true to some extent, but I don't think it's possible to find the missing link. It's just not there, physically.

Guest paul walter

Very interesting. I definitely think this is true to some extent, but I don't think it's possible to find the missing link. It's just not there, physically.

Well the missing link would be the holography woudn't it? Every part of the body, from 'smallest' to 'largest' would contain the imprint of the body (and by extension the universe)--from atom to toenail. It seems the ear and foot etc would be both compact and large enough for the practitioner living in the sense world to work with such a 'picture' in relative ease/accuracy as far as 'material' bodywork is concerned?

Edited by paul walter

Holographic theory does state that, but the OP's question can be better explained with connective fascia.

The meridians are fascial nets surrounding muscles and giving them their bounds and shape, and permeating the various organs. It's piezo-electric (collagen shears and creates a tiny charge, telling the osteoclasts what not to eat and then the osteoblasts lay down new fibers) so it actually transmits charge and impulses from regions like your feet all the way up to your skull and everywhere in between.

The body also has a network of pathways for light (primarily ultraviolet) reaching from the skin down into your insides. The electrical resistance along these paths and the major places where they intersect (more commonly known as acupuncture points) is much lower than the surrounding skin and tissues.

The fascial tissues themselves are basically a giant liquid crystal. =D

This is fascinating. I've read Tom Myers work on myo-fascial meridians, it's groundbreaking stuff. However I haven't heard of this network of pathways for light; could you share any thoughts and info about this?

In terms of light in the body, I don't know if it's correct but I would associate bio-electricity as luminescent. Other than this, I have heard speak of a subtle light that glows from the base of the heart and sense organs, perhaps this is connected..

a

Isn't holographic theory that one part contains the whole?

Hiya,

could you share a link about holographic theory?

don't think i've found the same thing..

thanks

a

Perhaps that's just it- the link is on a more refined level than the physical

a