Mokona

Secret smile

When first sitting for meditation my mouth has started curling into a smile all on its own, and sometimes a "good" feeling accompanies this, and my eyes even move into the correct position.

As of yet I haven't added in the confidence or any other emotion other than happiness becuase I just can't make it or remember what it feels like.

My question to the bums(any bum whom practices Secret Smile) is this: Why would you say that Secret Smile meditation causes tears and a turbulant emotional state as often as it helps?

Is this part of the process of smiling away all the junk in my system? Sometimes my eyes tear up upon starting meditation and my fear or depression overcomes the practice.

Can anyone perhaps also suggest an energetic and effective healing for assisting in healing my emotions?

When first sitting for meditation my mouth has started curling into a smile all on its own, and sometimes a "good" feeling accompanies this, and my eyes even move into the correct position.

As of yet I haven't added in the confidence or any other emotion other than happiness becuase I just can't make it or remember what it feels like.

My question to the bums(any bum whom practices Secret Smile) is this: Why would you say that Secret Smile meditation causes tears and a turbulant emotional state as often as it helps?

Is this part of the process of smiling away all the junk in my system? Sometimes my eyes tear up upon starting meditation and my fear or depression overcomes the practice.

Can anyone perhaps also suggest an energetic and effective healing for assisting in healing my emotions?

Hey good question. I have noticed similar sensations when I do the secret/inner smile as well. I think what it can do is just make you more aware of what is already there. So what I personally do when I find some junk in a particular organ I smile to is to use the healing sound for that particular organ until I feel that the negitive emotion is gone. I have found this to be very effective for just the sort of thing you are talking about. As far as trying to make the virtuous emotions of each organ, you can do that, but you can also just smile only, and let the smile do its work ;).

Hey good question. I have noticed similar sensations when I do the secret/inner smile as well. I think what it can do is just make you more aware of what is already there. So what I personally do when I find some junk in a particular organ I smile to is to use the healing sound for that particular organ until I feel that the negitive emotion is gone. I have found this to be very effective for just the sort of thing you are talking about. As far as trying to make the virtuous emotions of each organ, you can do that, but you can also just smile only, and let the smile do its work ;).

I'll have to really focus, sometimes its like a large wave at the beach and all I can do is ride it out, sometimes I get squashed in the wave. I felt that this meant there is TONS of crap to heal but more time in meditation is needed to know for sure.

I'll have to really focus, sometimes its like a large wave at the beach and all I can do is ride it out, sometimes I get squashed in the wave. I felt that this meant there is TONS of crap to heal but more time in meditation is needed to know for sure.

I definately know what you mean man. One of the main reasons I got into qigong in the first place was because of emotional issues. Growing up in todays society is not easy, so I'm sure most people have lots of junk to clean out, just that most people don't realize it, so if you look at it that way, your doing pretty good lol :). Sometimes if an emotion is sooooo overwhelming that I can not focus at all, then I'll use acupressure, I mean holding a point does not take too much concentration lol, and then once that settles me down a little bit, I'll get back to the meditative approach. If you are not familiar with acupressure here is a good place to get started. http://www.eclecticenergies.com/acupressure/indexemotional.php hope this helps, good luck.

Edit: nevermind I read it too fast and what I had to say didn't apply.

Edited by Scotty

~spot on, Mokona. :)

the smile and happy feeling coming on it's own becomes automatic.. and then our pain and buried junk surfaces... the healing sounds are perfect for this, as is 'venting' - ie identifying the organ from where the emotion is coming and breathing out the murky organ colour and breathing in a clear and vitalised organ colour. ie murky blackish green stagnant liver chi on the outbreath and sparkling emerald green for liver as you breathe in. (red/heart. deep blue/black/ kidneys. golden yellow/spleen. white/lungs.)

When I have been in a big emotional detox sometimes I use a Ken Cohen technique which is super simple, of breathing out all the grey stagnant chi and breathing in sparkly fresh chi. He recommends doing this via the spine I think.. It is an all purpose technique, I found it works well with whole body breathing, and can be done whenever and wherever, like walking down the street or whatever. He uses grey as a generic all purpose colour which covers 'stale'..

It's great getting to know your organs well, figuring out what kind of relationship you have with each organ.. we get a chance to heal our relationships with our organs and to give them love..

My spleen was kind of fed up at how much attention my liver got just because my liver was so much more 'extrovert'...

anyway... great question. Good luck with it , sometimes, I know, :wacko: it is hard.. I have felt at times while clearing, that negative emotions were never going to stop streaming out of me,it just goes on and on and on sometimes... but eventually cleansing really shifts stuff and it's a great feeling to not carry so much stuff.. like cleaning really dirty windows.

I remember doing cosmic healing with mantak chia and he had a phrase "clean, clear and bright, filled with violet light." and he'd say "sick cells please LEAVE".. whilst drawing in the violet light ( typically taoist, from the big dipper..) and make the point that the stale chi was to be recycled and move onto a new creative phase - which I find important, so that I dont wonder where all my junky chi is going to and feel like a litter bug..

~spot on, Mokona. :)

the smile and happy feeling coming on it's own becomes automatic.. and then our pain and buried junk surfaces... the healing sounds are perfect for this, as is 'venting' - ie identifying the organ from where the emotion is coming and breathing out the murky organ colour and breathing in a clear and vitalised organ colour. ie murky blackish green stagnant liver chi on the outbreath and sparkling emerald green for liver as you breathe in. (red/heart. deep blue/black/ kidneys. golden yellow/spleen. white/lungs.)

When I have been in a big emotional detox sometimes I use a Ken Cohen technique which is super simple, of breathing out all the grey stagnant chi and breathing in sparkly fresh chi. He recommends doing this via the spine I think.. It is an all purpose technique, I found it works well with whole body breathing, and can be done whenever and wherever, like walking down the street or whatever. He uses grey as a generic all purpose colour which covers 'stale'..

It's great getting to know your organs well, figuring out what kind of relationship you have with each organ.. we get a chance to heal our relationships with our organs and to give them love..

My spleen was kind of fed up at how much attention my liver got just because my liver was so much more 'extrovert'...

anyway... great question. Good luck with it , sometimes, I know, :wacko: it is hard.. I have felt at times while clearing, that negative emotions were never going to stop streaming out of me,it just goes on and on and on sometimes... but eventually cleansing really shifts stuff and it's a great feeling to not carry so much stuff.. like cleaning really dirty windows.

I remember doing cosmic healing with mantak chia and he had a phrase "clean, clear and bright, filled with violet light." and he'd say "sick cells please LEAVE".. whilst drawing in the violet light ( typically taoist, from the big dipper..) and make the point that the stale chi was to be recycled and move onto a new creative phase - which I find important, so that I dont wonder where all my junky chi is going to and feel like a litter bug..

I liked hearing your experience as well, as it was so similar to what I go through. Sometimes it seems like you just keep cleaning and cleaning an organ and you think "when does it end?" but then eventually if you stick with it you get results. I guess I sort of combine venting with healing sounds because when I'm making my healing sound I visualize blackish/greyish smoke contianing the unwanted emotions being blown out my mouth while making the souond. I visualize it going to the farthest reaches of the universe where it can be safely recycled (ala Mantak Chia) as to not polute the local energy fields.

Thanks guys!

I'll give the acu a shot and add some breathing of different colored light too. I can't do the healing sounds at my current residence, but i'll try it when I move.

I suppose it should be fine to use some of each color each time I meditate, it can't hurt?

I can't do the healing sounds at my current residence, but i'll try it when I move.

If you don't think you can do the healing sounds where you live now because others will hear/be distracted, Mantak Chia says you can do them sub-vocally. I even do them in public this way if I need to. You just make the sound so slightly on your out breath, that only you can hear it, or perhaps you can't even hear it, but you just know your making it ;)

If you don't think you can do the healing sounds where you live now because others will hear/be distracted, Mantak Chia says you can do them sub-vocally. I even do them in public this way if I need to. You just make the sound so slightly on your out breath, that only you can hear it, or perhaps you can't even hear it, but you just know your making it ;)

Yes, this one! Even just do it in your mind, is fine and v. effective.

I found secret smile tough because it made me realise just how little time I generally spent in those states of mind. That brought many tears.

When I found I could do it "at will" it opened up a huge can of worms about my own responsibility for the way I feel, how I interpret what I feel, just all kinds of things. I suppose I have been sorting through those ever since. Not finished by a long shot :ninja: I doubt I ever will be.

It helped me to become more aware of suppressed feelings/physical areas of tension(I guess TTB's often call these "blockages") and opened a different dimension as far as mind/body goes. I had been VERY dichotomous - but that doesn't work very well.

I want to learn PSD too, sometimes I wake up feeling like a truck ran over me and am bombarded by negetive thoughts. It can take up to an hour for me to take control.. It is like "living/swimming" in the moment and not realizing just how negetive these thoughts are until something "clicks" even then it can be mind-strain to get back to normal, then comes the smile and working to improve the mood to optimum level.

Its wonderful to read everyone's responses, at least I find it to be motivational. :blush:

It gets better. :)

Where's that song about "breaking through to the other side" ? ;-)

I'm on a bit of a fixation in my music thread :wub:

Read up on the biology of kundalini website. It's worth it (i.e. free :) )

PSD could be a good idea. I also like the compassion/vipassana/heart focussed stuff. That helps IME. AS does becoming VERY educated about symbols, semantics and holographic understanding. Get system/process/rhetoric wise ASAP.

You'll be in good hands (i.e. your own, with whatever you need, you'll find it :) )

Mokona,

Your searching is the beginning of your healing process.

One of my areas of education is in psychiatric nursing where I have worked with many others, in a hospital setting, that were much more worried with their condition than you are describing.

Although it is presently painfull, mainly because you do not yet understand why the pain persists, you are slowly finding the way to healing -through your searching.

Obviously though - you are not happy with the frequency that you, yourself, are able to find answers.

The reason that the people I worked with were in a psychiatric hospital was that a professional, with much more education in the field than I, had recomended that they be in a hospital setting in order to protect themself from themself.

I write the above to point to the level of a patient in a hospital setting's needs in comparison to yours. From your own words, it seems to me, to be that you are very capable of functioning in society with no prsently real danger to your self

With that said, the assistance of a person with professional as well as personal knowledge, of your pain, would be the best place to be conducting your search. You will know that you have found the right person when they begin telling you of their own experiences and the methods they used to heal themself.

I suggest that you begin with searching, in the phonebook - just ask the receptionist that answers the phone, for a person that has studied the work of Carl G. Jung as he was the pioneer that brought Taoist dream interpretation to the west through his analysis of the book: The Secret of the Golden Flower .

Don't be worried if the first calls don't have answers for you - it wouldn't be a search if they did :blush:

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/The_Secret_of_the_Golden_Flower

Excerpt from the above URL

" In Carl Jung's autobiography (Memories, Dreams, Reflections, 373-377), he wrote a section about his friend Wilhelm and said, in relevant part, "In China he had the good fortune to meet a sage of the old school whom the revolution had driven out of the interior. This sage, Lau Nai Suan, introduced him to Chinese yoga philosophy and the psychology of the I Ching. To the collaboration of these two men we owe the edition of the I Ching with its excellent commentary." Presumably, the same is true of the yoga philosophy of The Secret of the Golden Flower. Although Wilhelm's original German edition first appeared in the autumn of 1929, just months before he died (according to the Preface by Baynes), Jung indicates in his Foreword to The Secret of the Golden Flower that Wilhelm had sent him the text earlier, and also indicates that it was on Jung's initiative that the book was published."

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/The_Secret_of_the_Golden_Flower#Credits

YAY! Good work! Chi circulation feels good especially when the channels are relatively clear. Chi circulation makes one smile naturally! When I look around the room and see my students smiling or having little bliss giggles during meditation then I know they have accomplished much.

As soon as I go into meditation the corners of my mouth turn up in a slight smile. Sometimes I softly laugh. Look at Buddha statues. How many of them have a little bit of a smile?

You may not have an actual experience of those mind states to circulate but you can "fake it till you make it". Is there some character in a book or TV show that might inspire these individual states?

I once had a student who had an exercise to think of a Happy Mommy and a Happy Daddy. He couldn't because he grown up in a horrible home. We asked him to pretend about someone else's parents that he admired to use them as an example. He finally had to use an example of Beaver's parents on Leave it to Beaver, the old tv show.

What you are looking for is something that creates that feeling in you. It doesn't matter whether it is artificially created or not because we are just looking for the energy of that feeling to circulate through your body.

I often use the metaphor of peeling an onion or removing boulders from a turbulent stream. We can keep peeling the onion indefinately but the peeling away involves smaller and smaller layers. Removing the big boulders from the rapids calms the waters down and can feel overwhelming at the time. But eventually the flowing water becomes more calm and it is easier to clear the stream.

Just keep going. Keep playing as Dr. Morris would say. It is the only way to get to the other side. There will always be more but it becomes less and less intense as your practice and energy becomes more refined. The Secret Smile detoxes the emotional body and brings harmony and healing to all the bodies.

IMO, it is one of the most gentle ways and effective processes to do bring about harmony and healing. It is also one of the most simplest.

Be good to yourself. Have some tissues for the tears. Get a massage. Hug a pet or a plant. Be grateful that you can feel! I have worked with so many that are numb to emotions and energy and it is difficult for them to advance. You have a great advantage. Do not force yourself. You are becoming more sensitive and that makes you feel vulnerable.

Hatsumi sensei used to say a true warrior is soft like a woman. This meant the yin qualities of intuition, free flowing emotions, soft musculature. Shake hands with some of the 5th dan Ninpo people and up and it was like shaking hands with smoke.

Know that you are loved and this a good thing for the body. It LIKES it.

good work!

s

That is alot of positive replies, wow.

Kate,

Thanks for the recsource, I'll check it out when I get a chance, also a song that has to do with overcoming is "Prayer" by Disturbed, its just rockin.

Read up on the biology of kundalini website. It's worth it (i.e. free )

PSD could be a good idea. I also like the compassion/vipassana/heart focussed stuff. That helps IME. AS does becoming VERY educated about symbols, semantics and holographic understanding. Get system/process/rhetoric wise ASAP.

~jK~,

True, I may be able to use that route once I hit the states again, although there is no telling if I'll have the time! Standing on my own two feet is my ultimate goal, and even if I didn't notice that I was making improvement it does seem to be that way.

Obviously though - you are not happy with the frequency that you, yourself, are able to find answers.

Heh! That's just the way things are I suppose. Takes a bit o-time to find the right person that can help. The right people seem to just arrive sometimes too. It is interesting. Although, creating more confidence before asking a professional and paying him will be my first step, if I take that route. There are times that some might decide to take advantage of someone green like myself.

Don't be worried if the first calls don't have answers for you - it wouldn't be a search if they did

Also, that Golden Flower (from what i've read so far) is interesting, reads like the bible though, a bit awkward but I haven't hit the big techniques yet. Thanks jK!

Shaktimama,

I didn't know that energy flow caused those effects! Very cool, then i've even had success trying some qigon in the past that caused me to giggle/laugh. I thought I was nutso or something. Ha!

Anyhow, I'll keep going and import those feelings I have difficulty with using a character from a book or show, then. Easy day (I hope)

YAY! Good work! Chi circulation feels good especially when the channels are relatively clear. Chi circulation makes one smile naturally! When I look around the room and see my students smiling or having little bliss giggles during meditation then I know they have accomplished much.

As soon as I go into meditation the corners of my mouth turn up in a slight smile. Sometimes I softly laugh. Look at Buddha statues. How many of them have a little bit of a smile?

You may not have an actual experience of those mind states to circulate but you can "fake it till you make it". Is there some character in a book or TV show that might inspire these individual states?

I once had a student who had an exercise to think of a Happy Mommy and a Happy Daddy. He couldn't because he grown up in a horrible home. We asked him to pretend about someone else's parents that he admired to use them as an example. He finally had to use an example of Beaver's parents on Leave it to Beaver, the old tv show.

What you are looking for is something that creates that feeling in you. It doesn't matter whether it is artificially created or not because we are just looking for the energy of that feeling to circulate through your body.

Very cool.. I feel very hopeful after all these positive comments and suggestions. :wub:

It's funny you posted this topic now, because lately I have been doing a LOT of inner smile and healing sounds. Aside from the emotional benefits I've noticed another thing I've noticed is that if I spend a significant amount of time doing this practice, and I really feel like a made progress, later I feel very VERY tired. I went to bed at 7pm last night!! Last week when I posted the topic of Lethargy I had done a similar large amount of inner smile / healing sound work, and for the life of me I could not wake up lol, and went to bed very early those days as well. So I don't know if you or anyone else experiences this, but I sure do.

When I was doing Water Method practices, the instructors suggested getting more sleep and taiking vit. C when practices are releasing stuff in the body. (This was esp. true after weekend workshops. In fact, some students would take a nap during workshops as needed.)

Be sure take it easy on yourself and your body, esp. if you are doing new practices, or experiencing deeper releases than usual. -_-

Good I wanted confirmation that it was just not me lol :)

When I was doing Water Method practices, the instructors suggested getting more sleep and taiking vit. C when practices are releasing stuff in the body. (This was esp. true after weekend workshops. In fact, some students would take a nap during workshops as needed.)

Be sure take it easy on yourself and your body, esp. if you are doing new practices, or experiencing deeper releases than usual. -_-

Funny, I was using secret smile during spin class and near the end of the 1-1/2 hour class I had this feeling hit me (After feeling superb the whole workout) and it said: empty

Lol. I had to workout several hours later again. I'm tired but wired at the same time. Its a wierd feeling.

Funny, I was using secret smile during spin class and near the end of the 1-1/2 hour class I had this feeling hit me (After feeling superb the whole workout) and it said: empty

Lol. I had to workout several hours later again. I'm tired but wired at the same time. Its a wierd feeling.

Yea I know the feeling.

Sometimes the "tired but wired" feeling can come from not having enough Kidney Yin (also called EMTPY heat).Cool things that come from the water are good at building up kidney yin, such as cranberries, kelp, remanhia (spell)? blueberries, dakr beans, seafood, ect...

As you are doing the inner/secret smile, try focusing on the kidney until this feeling subsides if it continues to be an issue. ;)

Edited by dmattwads

It's funny you posted this topic now, because lately I have been doing a LOT of inner smile and healing sounds. Aside from the emotional benefits I've noticed another thing I've noticed is that if I spend a significant amount of time doing this practice, and I really feel like a made progress, later I feel very VERY tired. I went to bed at 7pm last night!! Last week when I posted the topic of Lethargy I had done a similar large amount of inner smile / healing sound work, and for the life of me I could not wake up lol, and went to bed very early those days as well. So I don't know if you or anyone else experiences this, but I sure do.

Because we lived in a stressful society or environment we may not notice that our bodies are stressed and are running on adrenaline or other types of stimulants, both natural and manmade. Adrenal exhaustion is what results.

When the body starts to finally relax and not depend on stimulants we can find out how really depleted we are. It is like our reservoirs are empty and we are flogging our kidney/adrenals to get more energy. The liver takes over too and drives the body in it's role as the General rather than let the Emporer, the Heart, direct the body. Both will result in episodes of overwhelming fatigue.

It is not unusual in the beginning stages of practice to feel exhausted and need downtime. This is why one does not have to rush and do it all at once. More intensity is not necessarily better.

The secret smile will acitvate the parasympathetic nervous system to counterbalance the sympathetic nervous system which is responsible for the Fight or Flight response. When the sympathetic nervous system is in charge for too long adrenal exhaustion and eventually PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) will result. It takes several years to come back from adrenal exhaustion.

While coming into balance it is important to relax, breathe, not rush, and eat well with good company.

s

Because we lived in a stressful society or environment we may not notice that our bodies are stressed and are running on adrenaline or other types of stimulants, both natural and manmade. Adrenal exhaustion is what results.

When the body starts to finally relax and not depend on stimulants we can find out how really depleted we are. It is like our reservoirs are empty and we are flogging our kidney/adrenals to get more energy. The liver takes over too and drives the body in it's role as the General rather than let the Emporer, the Heart, direct the body. Both will result in episodes of overwhelming fatigue.

It is not unusual in the beginning stages of practice to feel exhausted and need downtime. This is why one does not have to rush and do it all at once. More intensity is not necessarily better.

The secret smile will acitvate the parasympathetic nervous system to counterbalance the sympathetic nervous system which is responsible for the Fight or Flight response. When the sympathetic nervous system is in charge for too long adrenal exhaustion and eventually PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) will result. It takes several years to come back from adrenal exhaustion.

While coming into balance it is important to relax, breathe, not rush, and eat well with good company.

s

I definately suffered from adrenal burnout aka (kidney yin depletion) not too long ago, but I didn't realize it could take a couple years to full recover from :( . I can also relate to General Liver running the show of my life for way too long, and am now trying to get out of that automatic responce reaction. The inner smile does seem to help with this, and as you said it can be quite exhausting at times. In order to help me recover from adrenal burnout I stopped drinking coffee and have limited my use of black tea, as well as having taken some herbs.