awake

Kundalinilinilinilini

Hi,

Let me give you the quick story. I've been meditating as much as I can (usually most hours of the day) for the past 3 years.

Last year I discovered Golden Flower Meditation. The author says something about 100 days to notice the breath stuff, but I suppose that is for beginners.

It happened to me in 4 days. When I noticed it, it was not in the bottom of my stomach - I noticed the direction in my windpipe, it felt like my mid-upper chest. I did as it said and willed it to reverse, and it did. Woo-ha.

Later I started to notice it in my stomach, as the method suggested.

I felt something like a very awkward, unnerving sensation in the base of my spine, and it started going up.

It went up about 3/4 of the way up my spine over the next few days, and when it got there, it stopped. The next morning, the top 1/4 of my back was very sore, and I could not move it, or my shoulders or upper arms. It stayed like this for about a week, while I still tried my best to do my everyday life stuff.

A bit after that, I noticed a similar awkward and unnerving feeling in my heart.. Since then, I have usually not been doing it, though any time I pay attention to my breath I notice it is still backwards-flowing.

Being the pragmatist (or paranoid) that I am, I went to the doctor for both the spine and heart sensations, and after tests he could not find anything wrong with my physically: said it was probably something with my nerves or muscles. I told him about the meditation and he told me that was a possible cause for it also - but it wasn't a physical disorder.

Anyways, recently I have felt a reason to try and continue this meditation. It has been at least 6 months since this began, and the heart sensation is almost a constant one. The spine one recently resurfaced to my awareness, and in fact the times I feel it, it is at different spots below the 3/4 line, but hasn't been above it so far.

I also (past two days) have been experiencing oneness (both in vision, and feeling) more pronouncedly. I decide to mention this because I think it may be related, with it's coincidental appearance in time.

I am wondering what anyone who knows about Kundalini or the Golden Flower Meditation could advise me on what I should do. I also remember reading a long time ago that JJ Semple has connections to this forum (or reads it). If anyone could connect us somehow, I would really appreciate that also.

Thank you for your time and consciousness.

^ good advice on doing physical exercises. Tai chi or yoga would help you. I found the book Yantra Yoga to be very helpful in teaching how to do serious yoga that is meant to open up the channels. You can also find a yoga class near you.. make sure that the teacher knows about kundalini and energy and preferably has awakened themselves.

Also it's important for you to learn to let go of negative emotions and start cultivating positive emotions. Help others, be happy, go through walks in nature. Learn to surrender to the feelings within and let go. Accept what is happening to you and don't be afraid. Consistent meditation is important also.

There's really nothing 'you' should do. 'you' should get out of the way and learn to surrender.

Do you have a spiritual advisor? I would really suggest you find someone to guide you through this and be there to answer any questions.

I thought maybe you'd find some of these quotes interesting. They were written by someone named Jackson, he runs a yahoo group and teaches tantric and awareness teachings

As regards "Kundalini" Yoga: The Tibetan word for Kundalini is "thigle" as oppossed to "prana" or Tibetan "lung". Kundalini is the activating energy of the chakras. To practice a very safe kundalini yoga: relax completely, with your mind also free of agitation and in relaxed Awareness (lhugpa), become aware of a slight tingling sensation at the base of the spine... almost a sexual sensation. Pull the sphincter muscle "up" slightly. Inhale slowly as you do this. If you feel some energy continue to focus on that. If you feel nothing, think of a sexual event or some such until you feel sexual arousal, then do the above action, that will awaken the "kundalini". THEN.... Dzogchen style, let that naturally spread upwards where it wills. I pull it up to my Heart Chakra and keep it there. By doing that I then feel the "energy" in my head begin to flow down to my Heart Chakra spontaneously. I Then I remain simply present to the sensation at my Heart Chakra.... it will deepen all by itself, just don't engage in "thinking" or trying. The "Kati" channel will not open if you have any tension or distraction. This is how I practice daily..... Visions of thigle as in Thogel are "drops" of the essence of Kundalini Energy. The inner most essence of Kundalini is the pure and uncreated energy of the Sambhogakaya.

When we practice Namkha Artay (sky gazing), kundalini spontaneously arises and we simply remain present which causes all the channels to open without effort, which increases the bliss...

The process will continue to deepen all by itself if you don't "meddle" with your mind and thoughts.

As you relax deeper into your own presence of awareness, all of your energy will release and flow. You will notice your chakras open and your energies naturally without effort will enter your central channel. If after much practice you don't notice your chakras opening and vibrating with this continuing releasing of energy, accompanied with blissful and warm sensations, your practice is not progressing yet, at the deeper physical level. You will always go through this phase of energy release of the chakras. Norbu calls this energy kundalini or sometimes thigle energy. It's important not to become attached to these nyams of practice. Effort or strain will slow this energy release.

Namkha Artay is the best practice I know of for furthering this process.

From Dzogchen Upadesha

Namkha Artay: Sky gazing

Sit comfortably in half lotus. Or however you will be stable.

Hands on knees, palms down.

Look at the open sky, the sun should be behind you or at least not

within view... head slightly looking upward, only slightly.

Your mouth should be slightly open, tongue not touching palate nor

pressed down,relaxed.

Focus on the "space" of the empty sky. Feel your Awareness

integrating with the vast empty space. Continue for 30 minutes or so....(if you can) or work up to it.

Do not look at the sun! Otherwise, this is an unlimited practice,

and can be your "root" Dzogchen sitting practice. Like zazen is to Zen or Chan.

When indoors, do the same, but don't look at the wall, focus on

the "space" between you and wall.

Ignore the energy events... However that is a definite sign that you are relaxing. The channels (nadi) naturally open and the chakras begin to be activated spontaneously. The energies, first "prana" begins to move through the channels and the chakras. Next "thigle" or "kundalini" begins to manifest from the root chakra. You can feel this "thigle" energy in your lower spine, navel, heart and between your eyes. As this experience grows, just ignore it. It results in the experiences of "clarity", "Bliss" and "heat". I don't want to say more.. as I will cause you to "expect" those experiences... which is not good.

Just report as you go... The main thing is to just "Be" clearly present without conceptualizing, completely relaxed.

Sense your Awareness as centered at your eyes as a sphere and that you are that Clear Light sphere of Awareness.

Edited by Sunya

Hi,

Let me give you the quick story. I've been meditating as much as I can (usually most hours of the day) for the past 3 years.

Last year I discovered Golden Flower Meditation. The author says something about 100 days to notice the breath stuff, but I suppose that is for beginners.

It happened to me in 4 days. When I noticed it, it was not in the bottom of my stomach - I noticed the direction in my windpipe, it felt like my mid-upper chest. I did as it said and willed it to reverse, and it did. Woo-ha.

Later I started to notice it in my stomach, as the method suggested.

I felt something like a very awkward, unnerving sensation in the base of my spine, and it started going up.

It went up about 3/4 of the way up my spine over the next few days, and when it got there, it stopped. The next morning, the top 1/4 of my back was very sore, and I could not move it, or my shoulders or upper arms. It stayed like this for about a week, while I still tried my best to do my everyday life stuff.

A bit after that, I noticed a similar awkward and unnerving feeling in my heart.. Since then, I have usually not been doing it, though any time I pay attention to my breath I notice it is still backwards-flowing.

Being the pragmatist (or paranoid) that I am, I went to the doctor for both the spine and heart sensations, and after tests he could not find anything wrong with my physically: said it was probably something with my nerves or muscles. I told him about the meditation and he told me that was a possible cause for it also - but it wasn't a physical disorder.

Anyways, recently I have felt a reason to try and continue this meditation. It has been at least 6 months since this began, and the heart sensation is almost a constant one. The spine one recently resurfaced to my awareness, and in fact the times I feel it, it is at different spots below the 3/4 line, but hasn't been above it so far.

I also (past two days) have been experiencing oneness (both in vision, and feeling) more pronouncedly. I decide to mention this because I think it may be related, with it's coincidental appearance in time.

I am wondering what anyone who knows about Kundalini or the Golden Flower Meditation could advise me on what I should do. I also remember reading a long time ago that JJ Semple has connections to this forum (or reads it). If anyone could connect us somehow, I would really appreciate that also.

Thank you for your time and consciousness.

I'd recommend you find yourself an accomplished teacher. The energy rising to a certain point of your spine is due to a blockage potentially.

DIY Yoga and meditation only works for certain types of practices..and this is not what one should do on his/her own without expert guidance.

In the school of Yoga I practice, it is very natural to raise the energy in the central channel during pranayama and even during normal asana practice...

Good luck with your practice.