NeiChuan

Sleeping in half lotus

Yeah so a friend had brought up the idea of sleeping in half lotus. I still think it'd bring circulation issues.. But yeah its still kind of interesting.

If you can even get to sleeping.. Personally I can't.

Just like to know some thoughts on the wreckless idea ^_^

Yeah so a friend had brought up the idea of sleeping in half lotus. I still think it'd bring circulation issues.. But yeah its still kind of interesting.

If you can even get to sleeping.. Personally I can't.

Just like to know some thoughts on the wreckless idea ^_^

I used to sometimes fall asleep in half lotus and have really cool experiences while sitting up. At that time though I would often deprive myself of sleep in order to do intense meditation practices and thus sometimes I'd fall asleep while practicing, LOL! It would always turn out to be a really cool lucid dream of some sort though.

:blush: This very thing happened to me today :lol:

I was super tired from a terrible nights sleep last night & a busy day today.

As i sat in meditation i felt myself drifting towards sleep & i continually had to catch myself before slipping off, i decided this cant be good so decided to end my meditation for today -_-

I looked down at my watch & 20 minutes had slipped by as if it was 5! & i didnt have any pain in my legs that i usually would :lol:

Someone else had mentioned in a previous post about meditating when you were tired & i had been wondering about this - it seemed to take me almost immediately to the "no mind" state.

Opinions anyone else?

This is not a good idea. An extremity deprived of blood flow can actually die after 6 hours, among other big health risks, such as a blood clot traveling to the heart or brain once circulation is restored. I think 2 hours is the absolute maximum time recommended to apply tourniquets (or otherwise cut off circulation) before problems occur.

Not a good idea. I know of a guy who was sitting cross legged and using drugs and alcohol, fell asleep for 9 hours and woke up with peroneal nerve palsy, resulting in permanent foot drop. As always, moderation in everything.

This is not a good idea. An extremity deprived of blood flow can actually die after 6 hours, among other big health risks, such as a blood clot traveling to the heart or brain once circulation is restored. I think 2 hours is the absolute maximum time recommended to apply tourniquets (or otherwise cut off circulation) before problems occur.

It might not be. But, yogi's in Tibet sit in Full Lotus sometimes for many days at a time without laying down for sleep while they are in caves. They actually make little hay filled wooden boxes with just the bottom cut into the Earth that is tight enough to keep them in their position and they just sit and sit and sit. These guys though don't eat much at all but a bit of barley and yak butter during these extra long retreats of 3 years, 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days. I don't know many of the specifics as I've never done a retreat like this, but plenty of my teachers have. But again, they are exceptional people.