Owledge

Fear of feeling pain?

I just read a report about a cupping teatment and the woman said she felt fear because she didn't know how much it might hurt.

This is interesting to me, because this is a fear of a negative sensation, and I'm wondering about possible deeper implications, like what that says about the personality and respective society, whether this might be an indicator of the always-feel-good-lifestyle that causes people to actually fear - not getting hurt/injured but - feeling pain. This seems a bit foreign to me, especially when it is accompanied by a beneficial effect like with a health treatment.

What are your random thoughts on this topic?

I think its ok to be afraid of pain, its wether or not you're willing to go through it to accomplish your goal that counts.

Yesterday my daughter was attacked by a stingray while riding the waves. Even though the encyclopedia asserts stingrays attack humans only in self-defense, only when stepped on, this is not what happened -- the creature just lashed out with its barbed tail while my daughter was afloat. She was attended to by the lifeguards who soaked her injured leg in hot water for an hour to get the poison out and then bandaged it. There were two more people getting the same treatment for the same injury at the lifeguards' booth -- the ocean is angry...

Those two other people were crying the whole time, while my daughter was flirting with the lifeguards and generally enjoying the adventure despite the pain. FWIW, she was the only one there who wasn't born in the USA. :unsure: Oh, and I did the cupping treatment on her when she had bronchitis at 3. It doesn't hurt.:)

Perhaps it was one really angry stingray? <shrug>

All stingrays are angry.. Basic knowledge, just ask Steve Irwin.

Judging the whole ocean on the basis of one being?

No, you missed my point... my mistake, I thought it was obvious what I meant. Ever heard of BP?

And manageable fear of a negative experience is not a phobia.

Whats your point?

I mean a phobia is just a stronger fear, no matter how strong the fear, if the person can face that fear for a greater good its ok.