Sign in to follow this  
shaolin

Guiness

Ive recently found that guiness seems to really increase jing, especially the following day. I wonder what it contains to have such a good effect.

Perhaps Guiness really is "good for you".

Its a tonic in my book. Tastes damn good too. I'll throw some vanilla ice cream on top of it to add a little protein!!

Here's an article on health benefits-

Vitamins, Minerals and More Contribute to the Health Benefits

A friend of mine from Ireland told me that when he donated blood in Dublin, they actually gave him a glass of Guiness stout afterwards. It turns out that Guiness has a high level of iron. Nice excuse to go have a pint o'Guiness, right?

"Beer has similar health benefits to wine. It helps to promote blood vessel dilation, sleep, and urination (no kidding). It contains a similar amount of 'polyphenols' (antioxidants) to red wine and four to five times as many polyphenols as white wine."1

"For men, up to two beers a day will lower chances of stroke, heart and vascular disease. For women, although older studies show that one glass of alcohol per day is beneficial, a more liver-friendly choice is one drink every other day. Stroke is the leading cause of serious, long-term disabilities and the third leading cause of death in the U.S."2

"Many nutrients and vitamins in beer survive the fermentation and filtering process. Beer contains fair amounts of Vitamin B, B2 and B6. B6 prevents the build-up of homocysteine, an amino acid that has been linked to heart disease. It also contains good amounts of silicon, magnesium, selenium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and trace elements."3 Unfiltered beer (like Magic Hat Circus) has been to shown to have even higher amounts of nutrients.

Beer contains hops. "Clinical use of the alcoholic hop extracts in different dosage forms has also been used by doctors in the People's Republic of China in treating different forms of diseases such as leprosy, as well as problems like pulmonary tuberculosis and acute bacterial dysentery with varying results. The presence of a couple of anti-bacterial bitter acids, called lupulon and humulon in the herb are known to kill certain strains of Gram positive and acid-fast bacteria, like the staphylococcus strain. The infections from staphylococcus is evident in cases of suppurating wounds, runny sores, abscesses, and some types of boils as well as osteomyelitis - which is the presence of inflammation in the bone marrow of people."

• Like 1

I mean that it increases sexual energy. More sexual desire and more frequent erections.

Now that you mentioned ice cream, you reminded me of a traditional Jamaican drink I first tasted as a kid.

Guiness Punch!

Mix Guiness, condensed sweetened milk, Vanila nourishment or nutrament, vanilla essence, nutmeg and 1 raw egg per person ( optional).

Delicious! They say it "put led ina ya pencil! "

(sorry, not promoting alcohol consumption)!

Its a tonic in my book. Tastes damn good too. I'll throw some vanilla ice cream on top of it to add a little protein!!

Here's an article on health benefits-

Vitamins, Minerals and More Contribute to the Health Benefits

A friend of mine from Ireland told me that when he donated blood in Dublin, they actually gave him a glass of Guiness stout afterwards. It turns out that Guiness has a high level of iron. Nice excuse to go have a pint o'Guiness, right?

"Beer has similar health benefits to wine. It helps to promote blood vessel dilation, sleep, and urination (no kidding). It contains a similar amount of 'polyphenols' (antioxidants) to red wine and four to five times as many polyphenols as white wine."1

"For men, up to two beers a day will lower chances of stroke, heart and vascular disease. For women, although older studies show that one glass of alcohol per day is beneficial, a more liver-friendly choice is one drink every other day. Stroke is the leading cause of serious, long-term disabilities and the third leading cause of death in the U.S."2

"Many nutrients and vitamins in beer survive the fermentation and filtering process. Beer contains fair amounts of Vitamin B, B2 and B6. B6 prevents the build-up of homocysteine, an amino acid that has been linked to heart disease. It also contains good amounts of silicon, magnesium, selenium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and trace elements."3 Unfiltered beer (like Magic Hat Circus) has been to shown to have even higher amounts of nutrients.

Beer contains hops. "Clinical use of the alcoholic hop extracts in different dosage forms has also been used by doctors in the People's Republic of China in treating different forms of diseases such as leprosy, as well as problems like pulmonary tuberculosis and acute bacterial dysentery with varying results. The presence of a couple of anti-bacterial bitter acids, called lupulon and humulon in the herb are known to kill certain strains of Gram positive and acid-fast bacteria, like the staphylococcus strain. The infections from staphylococcus is evident in cases of suppurating wounds, runny sores, abscesses, and some types of boils as well as osteomyelitis - which is the presence of inflammation in the bone marrow of people."

Is that Guiness? Or all beer in general? Haha

A minor correction for you, Drew -- most beers are made with barley rather than wheat. Some use wheat rather than barley (and these are generally labeled as wheat bears, weissbiers or hefeweissen) while many beers (especially mass-produced beers) often include both barley and wheat as well as rice. The "traditional" recipe is barley, hops & water (with the yeast being "the secret ingredient" for millennia, until the little buggers were finally identified.

BTW, there is strong evidence to suggest that the roots of agriculture are tied directly to two-row barley production specifically for the production of beer rather than being for food production!

Barley? So the Tibetan beer is the same as Western beer? haha -- Unlike potato beer and corn beer in South America -- chica!!

O.K. still the schizophrenia is from the gluten peptides found in grains -- barley as well as wheat:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19245705

Drew, what is your purpose for fasting on beer?

Alcohol is antiseptic:

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-is-alcohol-a-good-antiseptic.htm

http://www.aim-digest.com/gateway/pages/book/articles/tea.htm

Historical records revealed that there was a change in the incidence of waterborne disease at that time, especially of dysentery, and Macfarlane deduced that whatever the British were drinking must be important in regulating disease. He says; "We drank beer and ale. For a long time, the English were protected by the strong antibacterial agent in hops, which were added to make beer last longer". However in the late 17th century a tax was introduced on malt resulting in the poor turning to water and gin, and in the 1720s the mortality rate began to rise again then it suddenly dropped again but what caused it?

Well I guess it's gotta be either strong alcohol or lots of it!!!

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?p=1504261

Maybe beer with lots of hops is the way to go then:

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_hops.htm

The resin in the hops has been found to contain chemically unstable polyphenolic principles, particularly the compounds known as humulone and lupulone. The presence of these compounds or the presence of their closely related chemical conversion products in the hops is the reason for the plant's bitter and bacteriostatic properties - these agents are also responsible for the distinct flavor and aroma of the hops.

Naw -- hops is a phytoestrogen as well -- no thanks!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081016235737AA5yub1

Edited by drewhempel

If its the glocose, it must mean that I should increase my carb intake or more heathly sugars.

Yeah the "beer goggles" effect is from the increased dopamine from alcohol -- but as far as energy goes alcohol converts the glycogen in your liver to glucose while at the same time the calories in alcohol are converted into fat -- not glucose!

So it's a fascinating phenomenon -- how alcohol is digested. Corn Fructose Syrup is almost as bad as alcohol -- in some ways worse -- yet HFCS -- is in EVERYTHING!!!

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/may2010/niaaa-18.htm

A genetic variant of a receptor in the brain's reward circuitry plays an important role in determining whether the neurotransmitter dopamine is released in the brain following alcohol intake, according to a study led by researchers at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), part of the National Institutes of Health. Dopamine is involved in transmitting the euphoria and other positive subjective effects produced by alcohol.

http://scienceblog.com/community/older/1999/A/199900066.html

Researchers have learned that alcohol may be particularly damaging to the brain's reward pathways, specifically dopamine and serotonin neurons. This damage -- a sensitization of the neurons to a process called excessive excitation or "excitotoxicity" through the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) glutamate receptor -- could be an important component in transitioning from experimentation toaddiction . However, researchers may have also discovered that a brain growth hormone called Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) may be able to protect neurons against this excitotoxicity.

In particular, dopamine appears to be a primary neurotransmitter of reward in the nucleus accumbens and hippocampus areas of the brain. Serotonin is believed to have an additive or synergistic effect on dopamine. Alcohol is known to initially lead to an increase in dopamine release, which supposedly enhances reward/pleasure. However, chronic and/or high levels of alcohol will eventually lead to a decrease indopamine release. This disruption of intercellular interactions or "chemical imbalance" can result in negative feelings such as anxiety, anger or in a craving for a substance, such as alcohol, that can alleviate the negative feelings. Yet because chronic drinking releases a continuously reduced amount of dopamine, more and more alcohol is needed to feel "normal."
Edited by drewhempel

:D WOW I have now found a second thread here I can confidently post in.

post-58911-129823585101_thumb.jpg post-58911-129823587734_thumb.jpg

Do not let my looks fool you. I can drink a pint of Guiness

in one gulp. It takes a moment. :P

:D WOW I have now found a second thread here I can confidently post in.

post-58911-129823585101_thumb.jpg post-58911-129823587734_thumb.jpg

Do not let my looks fool you. I can drink a pint of Guiness

in one gulp. It takes a moment. :P

Zenyatta likes it as well.

Just had a pint at Tommy Nevins in Evanston, a beautiful pour with a thick head. On top of the foam was the indentation of a four leaf clover. Nice.. Great drink, good conversation with an old buddy, life is good.

The girls start to look better after I have a few Guinness drafts, so it definitely helps my jing.

:lol:

I like this guy hahah

Zenyatta likes it as well.

Some horses get carrots as a reward others guiness. I spent a night at the Kentucky

Horse Training Center outside of Lexington. Some of those horses know how to party :D

I am not joking. I learned about tienchi there too.

Sign in to follow this