Actually, this is not a metaphor, but a real situation. A wasp's nest just established itself right near my front door. Normally, I wouldn't care, and just stay away from it, but near my front door, obviously a lot of traffic. Wasps are pretty psycho, too. All it takes sometime is walking too near their nest, and they perceive a threat, and the next thing you know, attack of the killer wasps. And, unlike bees, wasp stings really effing hurt! They have to go...but how?

I don't really want to kill them, but I might have to. (My rule with insects is live and let live, unless they invade my space, then I do what I must). How to displace them without pissing all of them off and getting ambushed later??

Any suggestions?

34811241_3c56f8d0fa.jpg

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

I've had wasp's nest problems. Both times the nests was small and I didn't see many wasps so I was able to wait til winter to remove them. I protected myself w/ goggles and gloves, but none came out. Put'em in a plastic bag and then the garbage.

Hmnn, maybe a Perfecter Being would capture it in winter and put in a secluded forest spot for the spring; I am not that man.

Seriously-

If its a large nest and they're active it can get serious. Step or swat one and they may release an attack pheromone, very bad news. You may want to call in a professional.

Or..(*note- taking advice from internet personages may cause irrevocable damage and pain) I've heard you can buy sprays for taking them out. Shoot it at the nest during the night, preferably a cool one when they're relatively inactive. Have protection on and run inside immediately, without delay. Observe and repeat 15 minutes later, again spray & run. Goggles, gloves thick clothing are good to wear. Be aware falling wasps will sting on the way down so stay clear.

What am I writing?? Buy the spray follow the directions. BE CAREFUL

GOOD LUCK

I have a feeling you may have already done something about the problem.

THE SCIENTIST SOLUTION:

1. Smoke em out. Wear heavy clothing, everything micheal said.

Start a bonfire 20 feet from your house on a day where you know the wind will blow twords the front door. Close all the doors and windows in your house. Use a large rug to blow the smoke twords the nest. Smell of smoke will make them pack up and leave except for a few who will watch the queen, if she leaves at all. However the smoke will be distracting enough to limit any possible encounter. Possible variations may include a tiki torch but you dont want to have a lit object close to your house. If you do have the garden hose ready.

Chance of success 50% (depends upon the wind direction)

2.Wash em out. Get a garden hose and a sprayer that is very powerful. OR even better a pressure washer. Yet keep in mind that a pressure washer will destroy siding of many different kinds and possibly window frames. The idea is to blast the nest off from afar. Wait till dusk then use micheals method of every 15 minutes with the wasp killer. Alternatively you can use bleach, which will also kill the nest. This is more effective when the nest has fallen and is on the pavement. Careful. Once they smell the bleach in the vicinity they WILL ATTACK. So wasp fogger at night may be a better solution.

90% effective. (Have an escape route like a car close by to run into and drive off for a while) They may not even know you are the culprit and has been the weapon of choice for me when I lived in georgia for 5 years. I had many wasp nest problems back then.

Finally, invest in some Wasp Repellant. If it was a good place to put a nest once you can count on it appearing again. The other option is to find out what their main food source is in the area and eliminate it. Bounce Fabric Dryer Sheets, BABY POWDER (keeps everything away), and bleach keep yellow jackets away. There are also fake nests you can buy which repel the yellow jackets.

More about your Wasps here.

Pink Light

Hi Songs,

I know full well what you are talking about.

Normally, when I see a nest of wasps or hornets I tell them, "If you don't mess with me I won't mess with you." and try to avoid them as much as I can so that they can do their natural thing.

However, as you pointed out, they are very defensive and even when you have good intentions they think you are a threat and go on the attack.

For some reason they like to build their nests near my front door. I have learned from experience that I cannot allow them to build any there because eventually I will get just a little too close and I will be hurt. I try to keep an eye on the front door area and whenever I see a new nest being built I will destroy it as soon as possible while killing as few wasps or hornets as I can. Those that excape alive will find another place to build a new nest.

Be safe and get rid of that nest before great harm comes to you or someone coming to your home.

Peace & Love!

I've seen capture and release bee methods - get a vacuum cleaner and attach something with a filter on it so they dont get sucked all the way into the bag - suck them all out of the nest, relocate the nest, release the bees near the new nest location at some appropriate time, and dont forget to pee on your turf, or something similar, cologne, baby powder, whatever the loads of suggestions were.

I guess if you really want to be compassionate, super glue the nest up in a similar orientation :lol:

I've got paper wasp nest on a plant at my back door and its getting bigger. I usually try to get them early but I've missed this one. I don't like to kill them as the little black wasps arn't too viscous as long as you keep away and the nest isn't too big. So I'm facing a similar relocation problem. Probably going to have to spray them :(

I've been watching them quietly build the nest, and apparently lay the egg cells. They seem very self-contained, but I am concerned that they will get territorial and protective at some point in the nesting cycle. I have been stung by a wasp, going in to my home when I was younger by a psycho wasp, I wonder if they get aggressive once the little wasps are hatched or whatever they do when they come out of those paper colored cells. For now they seem very quiet. Not sure what I'm going to do, seems wrong to flush them out now.

Thanks for posting, I've been meaning to ask you but I keep getting tied up in other stuff.

Mine are going good too, not really getting any bigger at all but have branched out a new colony on th eother side of the bush they are on. I was checking them out this morning, since it's raining they are a bit damp, but the little lava seen fine. I'm trying to notice if they have a pattern when they return, like bees. Super interesting watching them, like you said they let you get real close (Dare I say they remind me of an ant farm :ph34r:)

And it's nice to just watch life. Even something as "simple" as a wasp builds a home to come back to, greets it's family and feeds the young.

This remind me of a time when I had this squirt gun and me and my friends played this game of real life jackass...it was fun as hell and we got rid of the nest but all of us got stung. If you do that method you want to make sure you have some distance on them.

Edited by Trickster_Crow