Sign in to follow this  
SebastianBernadinoDaRosa

questions

So most of the time I spend on this site I am looking for hint or a clue a to how i should be going about meditation. This morning I woke up late... did the bare minimum as far as my standards go for a morning work out and then went to meditate. I sat under a tree in the shade ( i opted against the sun because its hot today) and began what I like to think of as watching myself. I watched myself think all kinds of things. how it feels to breathe, if someone could be watching me, how long it will take for meditation to become habitual for me, why am i burping so much? why does my hip still hurt? and then bam i get up i may have been sitting there for 12 minutes. im not sure why its so hard for me to sit but its frustrating. i dont know what im supposed to be doing with my breath or my thoughts. i live in Los Angeles so theres plenty of distractions for me; sounds, smells, sights. any advice for me?

Also someone close to me if having trouble with their dreams. She is living in a nightmare and when she is illustrating what exactly it is shes dream about I have to ask her to stop because it is disturbing. I am trying to get her to meditate (maybe it will help? i cant see why not) but as someone who doesnt seem to be very good at meditation myself it proves to be a challenge. this person has been dreaming like this since she can remember. I guess I am asking for a tutorial almost of how we can both become closer to who we are through meditation and breathing exercises. I feel that the saying you are a product of your surroundings is becoming all too true and i need weapons to combat this hellish lifestyle. to combat the matirialistic impure concrete jungle i am forced to call home.

any information or book references would be appreciated.

Edit: if any of my questions have been answered already or if there is information that would lead me to said answeres in other forum posts i would be greatful a link was posted.

Edited by SebastianBernadinoDaRosa

So most of the time I spend on this site I am looking for hint or a clue a to how i should be going about meditation. This morning I woke up late... did the bare minimum as far as my standards go for a morning work out and then went to meditate. I sat under a tree in the shade ( i opted against the sun because its hot today) and began what I like to think of as watching myself. I watched myself think all kinds of things. how it feels to breathe, if someone could be watching me, how long it will take for meditation to become habitual for me, why am i burping so much? why does my hip still hurt? and then bam i get up i may have been sitting there for 12 minutes. im not sure why its so hard for me to sit but its frustrating. i dont know what im supposed to be doing with my breath or my thoughts. i live in Los Angeles so theres plenty of distractions for me; sounds, smells, sights. any advice for me?

Also someone close to me if having trouble with their dreams. She is living in a nightmare and when she is illustrating what exactly it is shes dream about I have to ask her to stop because it is disturbing. I am trying to get her to meditate (maybe it will help? i cant see why not) but as someone who doesnt seem to be very good at meditation myself it proves to be a challenge. this person has been dreaming like this since she can remember. I guess I am asking for a tutorial almost of how we can both become closer to who we are through meditation and breathing exercises. I feel that the saying you are a product of your surroundings is becoming all too true and i need weapons to combat this hellish lifestyle. to combat the matirialistic impure concrete jungle i am forced to call home.

It sounds like your thinking of meditation instead of meditating itself.

I recommend instead of doing sitting meditation you should do standing active exercises like a simple tai chi -- you can find some simple standing exercises online easily -- or get practice guidance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_1sPDntOTs

This exercise looks very simple yet it is very effective -- just bend the knees more for more dramatic effect. Visualize a clear light in the center of the body and the idea is to FEEL an electromagnetic force that turns into a loving light energy.

Of course doing that in public will create a scene.

If you're doing sitting exercise I recommend at least sitting in "half lotus" with one leg up on the thigh. If the pain is distracting - then good -- it empties out your brain from thinking about other stuff. As for burping -- you want to be doing a bit of reverse breathing -- which means bring the energy up when you breath in. You breath through the diaphragm -- relaxed and subtle but the lower belly, below the diaphragm comes in a bit when you breath in.

Keep a smile on the face which activates your relaxation nerves.

Then you can transmit loving energy to your female friend and then she will sleep peacefully.

The focus is on feeling the energy, enjoying the flow of the energy.

The easiest way to meditate is to count the number of times you breathe in 30 minutes. As simple as this sounds, this is extremely difficult as we tend to allow our minds to wander. Think of nothing else except to count each time you inhale and exhale. Do this without allowing yourself to wander, and you're on your way.

It sounds like your thinking of meditation instead of meditating itself.

So i should just sit there, not even questioning my reasons for being there. just sit and see what happens? i find it hard to sit there and know im supposed to be doing this thing called meditation and at the same time think nothingness, stillness ect.

So i should just sit there, not even questioning my reasons for being there. just sit and see what happens? i find it hard to sit there and know im supposed to be doing this thing called meditation and at the same time think nothingness, stillness ect.

Haha, yes, through the Tao, one learns that life is full of lovely paradox! For proper meditation, you MUST'NT "think nothingness, or think stillness" you must BE NOTHINGNESS, BE STILLNESS, your true nature!

O.K. if you're going to do mind yoga - meditation -- then you want to, at first, concentrate or focus your mind. So you can repeat a mantra -- a great one is "Ohm Mani Padme Hung" So you say that over and over in your mind -- not out loud -- but as a thought. So any other thought just gets replaced by "Ohm Mani Padme Hung." Now what happens is that as your mind energy focuses or concentrates then you'll get sensations in your brain -- blissful pressure and a peacefulness and then as the energy builds up you see light in your head -- when your eyes are closed.

That's mind yoga but at the same time the mind is weak on its own -- it's strong but it's difficult to focus the mind on its own. It's like turning a bicycle wheel. If you hold the wheel at the hub and then try to turn the wheel it's very hard to turn the wheel. If you grab the wheel at the tire you can then spin the wheel easily and this will turn the hub.

So your body is the tire or rim of the wheel -- if you can spin your body which you can do easily through the standing active exercises then the hub -- your mind -- will also spin easily.

And so as you meditate you enjoy the energy, you learn to listen to the energy and you learn that the process of meditation is consciousness itself -- that it's an eternal process of energy creation which we are always already a part of.

Sign in to follow this