Encephalon

Best Narcotic pain reliever following surgery

I just told my surgeon that I didn't want vicodin for my post-op because it obliterates my hard-earned chi flow. He gave me a bottle of Darvocet instead. Any pharmacologists in here, or people in the know?

They also told me that I had to stop taking my horsetail/schizandra cocktail 2 weeks before surgery because of possible anesthesia implications. This sucks. These two compounds have removed 6-8 yrs worth of wrinkles off my face.

PS - I love vicodin.

Ah yes, Vicodin, an opium derivative, Opium, the King of pain relief compounds, power akin to Homer's Lotus-eaters.. not many molecules different from heroin, the Queen of opiates, in fact, some consider it synthetic heroin....; I think any strong narcotic is going to have a chi diminishing effect, with anything containing oxycodone being the worst (ie the big OC oxycontin). Try herbal remedies such as kava kava, mild pain and anxiety relief, valerian root to promote restful sleep, vitamin c and b supplements.... take as little narcotic pain killers as possible, just enough to numb the pain, falling short of the 'high'.

Edited by fizix

I just told my surgeon that I didn't want vicodin for my post-op because it obliterates my hard-earned chi flow. He gave me a bottle of Darvocet instead. Any pharmacologists in here, or people in the know?

They also told me that I had to stop taking my horsetail/schizandra cocktail 2 weeks before surgery because of possible anesthesia implications. This sucks. These two compounds have removed 6-8 yrs worth of wrinkles off my face.

PS - I love vicodin.

Don't know about post-op, but hypnosis has been used successfully to control pain and bloodloss during operations. My guess is that hypnosis can be used for post-op as well, but you'd have to talk to a qualified hypnotherapist/hypnotist. I've had very severe pain during my eye problem and I've used hypnosis recordings to bring the pain (the most severe pain I've ever felt in my life) pretty much down to zero to help me sleep.

I've also seen a picture of an operation performed on someone who was anesthetized with only an acupuncture needle in an earlobe. I don't know anything more about this though. You'd have to ask an acupuncturist about their abilities.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about your chi flow. You'll recover soon enough and everything will be back to normal, even if you use conventional pain relievers.

PS - I love vicodin.

What kind of surgery? That can have an impact on what type of pain med is appropriate.

Pain relievers have idiosyncratic responses. In other words, they affect us all just a little differently. Vicodin prevents me from getting to sleep. It actually makes my mind more active. If I want it to work better I take a vicodin with an anti-inflammatory like motrin or aleve. All pain relievers make me nauseated.

I have difficulties with Darvocet also. It's pretty much tame stuff but I was given a bottle to help with lesser kidney stone pain. I notice I got a mild emotional dependence from it. (Gotta have it!)

read some more about it here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/89685-darvocet-warnings/

Propoxyphene is the pain killing agent which is related to methadone. It is mixed with acetometaphin (tylenol) to make darvocet.

Opiate agonists like tramadol works better for me as pain control except it can make me hallucinate. It is prescription but non narcotic. You also might ask your physician about that instead. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000960

Opiate agonists work by altering how our bodies perceive pain.

I find that all commercial pain meds have an effect on my chi. I get a worn out feeling. Pain meds do not effect my kundalini flow at all.

For non commerical things to do.

I strongly vote for acupuncture and hypnosis. I have used acupuncture for severe pain and it works like a miracle. But this depends on the skill of the practitioner you choose.

I do hypnotherapy for pain management and it is very effective. I would suggest looking at Dick Sutphen's site for his CD or mp3s for preparing yourself for surgery and for pain control.

I have used Kava kava pills for relaxing myself for sleep. Of course, being in a relaxed state means less pain. Kava kava is a herb that should only be used in 2 week cycles...2 on and 2 off...because it can be detrimental to the liver.

I speak on this based as my long term experiences as a nurse in a hospital.

Understand that pain is always worse the 2nd day after surgery. All the narcs and anesthetics used intra operatively should have worn off by then. Then you should expect that the pain should diminish more and more as the days go by. If it does not, call your doctor.

It is important that you keep on top of managing your pain. Pain is a serious stressor on the body which causes cortisol release which inhibits wound healing and the immune system over time. "man up" for pain is not a good idea if you can help it.

We also use diversion tactics. Laying in bed thinking about your pain will make it seem far worse than it might be. If you are able do some gentle qi gong or deep belly breathing while laying in bed. This will help. If it hurts to move you can watch yourself doing gigong in your mind. It will still have an effect on your body, just more yin and shen like.

Smiling energy put into the place of injury will also be very helpful. It helps release endorphins and promotes healing and balancing of chi flow.

good luck,

s

Edited by ShaktiMama

What kind of surgery? That can have an impact on what type of pain med is appropriate.

Pain relievers have idiosyncratic responses. In other words, they affect us all just a little differently. Vicodin prevents me from getting to sleep. It actually makes my mind more active. If I want it to work better I take a vicodin with an anti-inflammatory like motrin or aleve. All pain relievers make me nauseated.

I have difficulties with Darvocet also. It's pretty much tame stuff but I was given a bottle to help with lesser kidney stone pain. I notice I got a mild emotional dependence from it. (Gotta have it!)

read some more about it here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/89685-darvocet-warnings/

Propoxyphene is the pain killing agent which is related to methadone. It is mixed with acetometaphin (tylenol) to make darvocet.

Opiate agonists like tramadol works better for me as pain control except it can make me hallucinate. It is prescription but non narcotic. You also might ask your physician about that instead. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000960

Opiate agonists work by altering how our bodies perceive pain.

I find that all commercial pain meds have an effect on my chi. I get a worn out feeling. Pain meds do not effect my kundalini flow at all.

For non commerical things to do.

I strongly vote for acupuncture and hypnosis. I have used acupuncture for severe pain and it works like a miracle. But this depends on the skill of the practitioner you choose.

I do hypnotherapy for pain management and it is very effective. I would suggest looking at Dick Sutphen's site for his CD or mp3s for preparing yourself for surgery and for pain control.

I have used Kava kava pills for relaxing myself for sleep. Of course, being in a relaxed state means less pain. Kava kava is a herb that should only be used in 2 week cycles...2 on and 2 off...because it can be detrimental to the liver.

I speak on this based as my long term experiences as a nurse in a hospital.

Understand that pain is always worse the 2nd day after surgery. All the narcs and anesthetics used intra operatively should have worn off by then. Then you should expect that the pain should diminish more and more as the days go by. If it does not, call your doctor.

It is important that you keep on top of managing your pain. Pain is a serious stressor on the body which causes cortisol release which inhibits wound healing and the immune system over time. "man up" for pain is not a good idea if you can help it.

We also use diversion tactics. Laying in bed thinking about your pain will make it seem far worse than it might be. If you are able do some gentle qi gong or deep belly breathing while laying in bed. This will help. If it hurts to move you can watch yourself doing gigong in your mind. It will still have an effect on your body, just more yin and shen like.

Smiling energy put into the place of injury will also be very helpful. It helps release endorphins and promotes healing and balancing of chi flow.

good luck,

s

I'm going in for L bunionectomy. Thanks to nei kung and Frantzis' dissolving practice I can pulsate my foot at will now and have opened up the Macrocosmic Orbit. I don't know if merely throbbing my bunion at will is the proper method or if I should be using swordfingers a la SFQ, but I'll bet the answer's in here somewhere, eh?

Thanks.

Just take the Vicodin and use it if you need it. See if you can play with the perception of the pain rather than use narcotics. Darvocet is pretty useless for most pain, and it's not a very clean drug in your system, as it is totally synthetic, unlike hydrocodone. Tramadol is not a controlled prescription, but it basically functions as a narcotic, so much so that there are many abusers out there that list it as their D.O.C. It should work well enough for bunionectomy, but it too, is not as clean as the semi-synthetic opiates.

Try seeing if you can do without anything. I can do major dental stuff without narcs afterward now. But actually, my advice is to just take what you need for the 1 to 2 days afterward, and don't worry about the chi effects.

I'm going in for L bunionectomy. Thanks to nei kung and Frantzis' dissolving practice I can pulsate my foot at will now and have opened up the Macrocosmic Orbit. I don't know if merely throbbing my bunion at will is the proper method or if I should be using swordfingers a la SFQ, but I'll bet the answer's in here somewhere, eh?

Thanks.

you should do fine with the darvocet or vicodin.

s