Makyea

Military Training

HEY GUYS!!

I have yet another question, haha I just love asking for advice. Well I am planning on joining the military very very soon! I am starting to physically train to be prepared for BT. I was wondering if their were any excercises you guys have tried that help with upper body strength, cardio, and endurance. Also anything that helps rejuvinate you.

I am a 5 foot tall girl who can not do one push up so I need as much help as I can get to come through this amazing experience succesfully. Feel free to ask me why I feel the need and really want to do this or any other questions. I welcome it all, good bad and parental advice is a help.

Also does anyone know of any quick ways to balance mind and body seeing as in BT you have very little personal time and at most about 4 hours a sleep for 8 1/2 weeks and 2 minutes to eat a full meal. Also any ideas on how to help take mind off of physical pain during "missions" which consist of carrying 90+ pounds while marching for miles.

Guest paul walter

HEY GUYS!!

I was wondering if their were any excercises I welcome it all, good bad and parental advice is a help.

Parental advice: don't join a fascist tax payer funded institution hell bent on having you kill or be killed for the aims of empire just cause your conscience hasn't evolved to the stage where you can "just say no". Ah, the folly of youth :rolleyes: Dad.

Parental advice: don't join a fascist tax payer funded institution hell bent on having you kill or be killed for the aims of empire just cause your conscience hasn't evolved to the stage where you can "just say no". Ah, the folly of youth :rolleyes: Dad.

Part of me has been yelling at myself those exact words and to just go to the University of Minnesota and major in Pre-biosystems engineering and bio-based products like I had planned. Then I thought about my mother, she was in the army and it has set her up for so many good things. She is now a nurse and a strong smart woman like I want to be.

I want to join either the Air Guard which is more about helping than hurting or the Airforce where I would become an Aerospace engineer.

Yes, join up if that is what you want to do.

Believe it or not all countries need people who are willing to defend their way of life.

And the military, after basic training, has many opportunities to expand one's education and become a more well-rounded person.

Basic training is a bummer. One of those things that just have to be done. In basic, one of the most important things to learn is to be a team player. Even though it is a test for each individual it is also a test of how well a person can work with others in order to accomplish a goal.

Get your hands on an Army Field Manual for Physical Training. You might even be able to find one on-line. Some FMs are on-line.

Army Physical Training is whole-body training - from the head to the toes. And yes, learning to endure pain is important and very helpful.

Best Wishes to you!

Peace & Love!

Yes, join up if that is what you want to do.

Believe it or not all countries need people who are willing to defend their way of life.

And the military, after basic training, has many opportunities to expand one's education and become a more well-rounded person.

Basic training is a bummer. One of those things that just have to be done. In basic, one of the most important things to learn is to be a team player. Even though it is a test for each individual it is also a test of how well a person can work with others in order to accomplish a goal.

Get your hands on an Army Field Manual for Physical Training. You might even be able to find one on-line. Some FMs are on-line.

Army Physical Training is whole-body training - from the head to the toes. And yes, learning to endure pain is important and very helpful.

Best Wishes to you!

Peace & Love!

I actually think that basic training could be a very spiritual experience. I think that because it strips you down to build you up helps put you in a place where you can enter a deeper state of being. You really get to see those deeper bits of yourself and I think that could help you strip that away.

I actually think that basic training could be a very spiritual experience. I think that because it strips you down to build you up helps put you in a place where you can enter a deeper state of being. You really get to see those deeper bits of yourself and I think that could help you strip that away.

Yep.

In truth, I had a very hard time making it through basic because I was not very physically fit and I was already a very independant person, basically living on my own at age 17 when I joined.

And I will promise you this. You will have many opportunities to look inside to see what you are really made of.

(I was career Army. Retired after 20. I would have stayed in for 30 except that I had personal problems at the time and the only way I could deal with them was to retire from active service.)

Although many people look at military service in a negative way it really is an honorable undertaking.

Peace & Love!

Yep.

In truth, I had a very hard time making it through basic because I was not very physically fit and I was already a very independant person, basically living on my own at age 17 when I joined.

And I will promise you this. You will have many opportunities to look inside to see what you are really made of.

(I was career Army. Retired after 20. I would have stayed in for 30 except that I had personal problems at the time and the only way I could deal with them was to retire from active service.)

Although many people look at military service in a negative way it really is an honorable undertaking.

Peace & Love!

That is exactly why I am training haha. I really want to be the best I can be. I think it is so funny that civilizations went from almost worshipping soldiers to calling them bad people. I don't think some people understand soldiers take orders they are given so they can best protect home. No one calls a mother bird bad for protecting her family the best way she knows how.

I have heard that the Army and Navy want to absorb the other branches because they prove unnecesary(to gain more money). I say this because all of the branches are filling up they are having to tighten restrictions, which shows that more people are starting to understand but I just hope that it spreads to everyone.

That is exactly why I am training haha. I really want to be the best I can be. I think it is so funny that civilizations went from almost worshipping soldiers to calling them bad people. I don't think some people understand soldiers take orders they are given so they can best protect home. No one calls a mother bird bad for protecting her family the best way she knows how.

I have heard that the Army and Navy want to absorb the other branches because they prove unnecesary(to gain more money). I say this because all of the branches are filling up they are having to tighten restrictions, which shows that more people are starting to understand but I just hope that it spreads to everyone.

Yeah, military service got a bad name during Vietnam because it was a very unpopular war. (I thought it was stupid, myself, but I still served because I had sworn to do so.)

And you are absolutely right. We must protect what is ours because there will always be those who would take what you have from you if they thought they had even a slight chance.

Yes, the different services are becoming much more integrated over the years. I can ever foresee when all services are blended into one directed by a combined central command.

Peace & Love!

Part of me has been yelling at myself those exact words and to just go to the University of Minnesota and major in Pre-biosystems engineering and bio-based products like I had planned. Then I thought about my mother, she was in the army and it has set her up for so many good things. She is now a nurse and a strong smart woman like I want to be.

I want to join either the Air Guard which is more about helping than hurting or the Airforce where I would become an Aerospace engineer.

The military is going to make you do a lot of pushups, and if you can't do a full, proper pushup, then you just need to do knee/girl pushups for now and work your way up. It should be pretty easy to find an upper body workout plan for women on the internet. You should also work on sit ups, which shouldn't be as hard. Most important though, is running. Just go jog for 10-20 minutes a day, but remember to take at least 2 rest days so you don't hurt yourself (shin splints suck). The air force is known to have the easiest PT and basic training out of all the military, so as long as you're more in shape than the average person, you should be fine. Just make sure you choose what's in your own best interest.

Edited by It's a trap

Air Guard would be cool, but don't let others dissuade you from something you want to do. If you don't agree with what the military does, don't join. The same goes for any company. And most people that join Air Guard or Army National Guard don't think they will be deployed to a war zone, but the government has their ways to bend the rules, and they usually do. My brother is with the OK National Guard, did one tour of Iraq and is about to do another tour in Afghanistan. I've lived in a military environment all my life and now live in Ramstein, Germany, near the airbase, and both my dad and brother were in the OK National Guard, so I'm somewhat familiar with guard. I don't know about the Air Guard being active duty or not though. In National Guard, you meet up once a month and do what they call drill; basically inspection/check-up, but that doesn't pay that great so you'd have another job as well. It's nice though, because you still get military benefits, which includes paid-for college, and a little extra money for not doing much.

The military is going to make you do a lot of pushups, and if you can't do a full, proper pushup, then you just need to do knee/girl pushups for now and work your way up. It should be pretty easy to find an upper body workout plan for women on the internet. You should also work on sit ups, which shouldn't be as hard. Most important though, is running. Just go jog for 10-20 minutes a day, but remember to take at least 2 rest days so you don't hurt yourself (shin splints suck). The air force is known to have the easiest PT and basic training out of all the military, so as long as you're more in shape than the average person, you should be fine. Just make sure you choose what's in your own best interest.

I met with an Air guard recruiter and they have so many people that the yearly 2 month deployment they do for supporting bases is mostly voluntary and are mostly on base. This air guard bases flies C-130s so no action really. Mostly Med and support

I am very "top heavy" for my size so push ups are difficult but I am almost their. Thanks for the girl push up suggestion, that will definetly help me get there.

Yeah, military service got a bad name during Vietnam because it was a very unpopular war. (I thought it was stupid, myself, but I still served because I had sworn to do so.)

And you are absolutely right. We must protect what is ours because there will always be those who would take what you have from you if they thought they had even a slight chance.

Yes, the different services are becoming much more integrated over the years. I can ever foresee when all services are blended into one directed by a combined central command.

Peace & Love!

I usually like your posts and your good feelings, but I don't really understand how you can support the idea of an Army: it's something evil, point.

We're on a Taoist forum: the hihest value should be love and compassion. The Army is exactly the opposite, death and distruction.

And there is nothing to protect: just experience and enjoy, understand the other people.

I accept violence just when there is no other way out. Wars has always been about power and money.

I don't wanna to start a flame, I just wanna to put into perspective how this thread is evolving.

Please look for Peace & Love not for Destruction & Death!

Ive done selection for 21 SAS which is similar to Delta Force in the US.

I can advise you on getting fit but I would not advise you to join any Govenrment armed forces.

Yes, there is a sense of pride and self development, challenges and excitement in joining the military. Until you are asked to do things that cause you to feel ashamed or when you face a challenge that overcomes you and you suffer for the rest of your life.

Too many good and able men and women have been used by corrupt governments to enforce their corruption.

They chew you up and spit you out and then youre left with nothing.

Armed forces are used to force a type of control upon others that they dont want. Most people in the military dont even know what they are killing and being killed for. That is the ultimate role of a soldier.

Its not good. Training and developing yourself, fresh faced and full of confidence. Then facing conflict and letting your body get damaged.

Being paralysed by a shot to the spine, not being able to feel below your waist or control your bowels and bladder. Having somone else wipe your ass for you.

The US and UK engaged in conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq. Bush and Blair leave office to enjoy their multi million pounds and dollars. While young men and women loose their lives.

Then, after failing in their military objectives, and facing a humiliating defeat in both Iraq and Afghanistan, they decide to withdraw. Paralyzed, brain damaged for nothing.

Please check out veterans war injuries before you join.

You can do much better than to become a thug for a bully who runs away and deserts you when they cant take the heat.

There are better and more lasting ways to challenge yourself and improve. Just try to control your mind. Thats tougher than any challenge the military can give you. Most of them end up alcoholics!

Governments and serving them by force by being in the military is oppressive and negative. Even if you "win" you only loose. Its dark, mean, heavy and wrong.

Enjoy your beautiful life with postitvity, happiness, individuality and purity.

It feels better to open your arms and smile, than to clench a fist and frown.

All the best.

I know of a guy who was shot in the mouth. The bullet hit part of his brain where it got stuck.

His face and head is a mess. He is slowly learning to move parts of his body by a very expensive machine that attaches electrodes to his brain. Besides that he is dead but alive.

I usually like your posts and your good feelings, but I don't really understand how you can support the idea of an Army: it's something evil, point.

We're on a Taoist forum: the hihest value should be love and compassion. The Army is exactly the opposite, death and distruction.

And there is nothing to protect: just experience and enjoy, understand the other people.

I accept violence just when there is no other way out. Wars has always been about power and money.

I don't wanna to start a flame, I just wanna to put into perspective how this thread is evolving.

Taoists have been some of greatest military strategists in all of history. Some of the most effective, destructive, deadly martial arts were created by Taoists.

I would rather have thinking, feeling, mindful people in the Armed Services. And like it or not your ability to have free, open discussions like this one are at least in some part based on various countries military forces defending their liberty at some point.

Plus, she didn't ask for your opinion on her life choices.

Edited by Ryan T.

HEY GUYS!!

For both the PT and the mental balancing I would start with the "Five Tibetans". There was a thread just recently on them. A great way to start getting some upper body and core strength. Plus, the flexibility increases that can come along will help you as well.

Check YouTube or half.com for "Five Tibetans".

I am aware that there are passive members of this board. And the freedom I fought for while I served is what allow these people to be passive. I have no problem with that.

BTW The Art Of War is a Taoist writing. Taoists, in the most part, are not passive people. We will stand up for what is right and we will defend anything that is worth defending, and that includes the freedom we have in this wonderful nation of ours.

So are you just going to sit on your butt and allow someone to beat and rob you? Are you hust going to sit edly by while some junk-hear rapes your 11 year old daughter?

No, you are going to defend what you honor and love. Most members of militaries are doing the exact same thing.

Just remember that Taoism do not teach passivity. It teaches that we should understand nature and especially the nature of man and to be prepared to do whatever needs be done.

There are limits to being passive.

I will agree with you though that wars create only death and destruction but I will tell you right up front, I would rather it be my enemy who meets death and destruction rather than my enemy dealing it to me.

And if you or anyone else thing they have no enemies I suggest that they are sadly mistaken.

But I still wish for:

Peace & Love!

Infact,

Most armies are not used to "protect" their nations. They are used to further the interests of their oppressive Governments.

The actions of the Governments and what they claim to be fighting for have actually endangered their own nations and increased the threat to the security of their populations.

And their actions are often based on lies. It has recently been discussed if Tony Blair should face a war crimes trial due to the war in Iraq being illegal.

To punch a person is illegal, so is to take thair property (theft) as is to intimidate, imprison, kidnap and murder. But its all legal in war. But not in an illegal war. Just look at it. These governments can say which murder is legal and which is illegal! Just conspriacy to murder or even unlawful imprisonment can get you a custodial sentence of up to life imprisonment. How long would the criminals Bush and Blair get?

Does the military really "protect" its civilians?

Pre 911, Afghanistan was a haven for al qaeda. Only Afghanistan. The aim was to destroy al qaeda, remove taliban, find bin laned and mullah omar.

Failed. The people of Afghanistan see the Afghan puppet government of Bush and Blair as criminals. They support the taliban. McCrystal was fired. After years of dedication and service he was thrown on the crap heap. Why? because he said that after almost 10 years of killing and war, out of 125 provinces in Afghanistan:

115 were in Taliban control

10 disputed and

5 in Afghan government control.

During this time, the taliban and alqaeda were pushed in to Pakistan. They pushed them out from areas of Afghanistan in to Pakistan, a necular power that has many taliban sympathisers in its own intelligence servics the ISI.

Then they went and removed Saddam Hussein, (who they put there in the first place) and opened a new fron and haven for alqaeda which led to a civil war. This has now spread in to Yemen (bordering oil rich Saudi ARABIA) and also Somalia.

They have made not only their own nations less safe but the whole world.

They use words full of deception to attract good people to serve thair own agenda. Military attracts people who value honour and sacrifice and enjoy testing themselves. But these good people are being manipulated and lied to and dishonoured.

Its ok to be active, loyal, good hearted and gung ho, but one must also use their brain and see whats really going on behind the smoke screen of words and statements and claims.

Youtube or google: full spectrum dominance. or Harold Pinter: Nobel lecture 2005.

They claim to protect freedom and democracy.

What democracy? It doesnt exist. And even if it did, can you force freedom on those who dont want your version of it? Kill them and take their wealth?

We can see through it all.

Most armies are not used to "protect" their nations. They are used to further the interests of their oppressive Governments.

We can see through it all.

As it has been for thousands of years. And Taoists were a part of it then and surely can(and probably should) be part of it now.

And it isn't for any of us to say this isn't the correct path for this person.

Taoists have been some of greatest military strategists in all of history. Some of the most effective, destructive, deadly martial arts were created by Taoists.

I would rather have thinking, feeling, mindful people in the Armed Services. And like it or not your ability to have free, open discussions like this one are at least in some part based on various countries military forces defending their liberty at some point.

I actually think that the world would be better with no Army at all, so I cannot have good feelings for the Army: to me it would be like worshipping money and power.

As I've already said, Taoism is about Compassion, Army is about destruction: that's enough for me for saying NO!

"Defend liberty making war": this is always the same excuse that people use to start wars, with this concept you can start a war whenever you want.

The real Freedom is about believing in free Ideas, not doing whatever you want.

Army is not a free Idea, not at all.

Plus, I wans't criticising her choice (not directly at least:P ), but I find the subject of the thread quite off-forum.

What do you think if I'd start a thread about how cool are Nazis ?

Yes...she did...door wide open.

I have yet another question, haha I just love asking for advice.

Feel free to ask me why I feel the need and really want to do this or any other questions. I welcome it all, good bad and parental advice is a help.

I actually think that the world would be better with no Army at all, so I cannot have good feelings for the Army: to me it would be like worshipping money and power.

As I've already said, Taoism is about Compassion, Army is about destruction: that's enough for me for saying NO!

"Defend liberty making war": this is always the same excuse that people use to start wars, with this concept you can start a war whenever you want.

The real Freedom is about believing in free Ideas, not doing whatever you want.

Army is not a free Idea, not at all.

Plus, I wans't criticising her choice (not directly at least:P ), but I find the subject of the thread quite off-forum.

What do you think if I'd start a thread about how cool are Nazis ?

If there were no armies at all in this world you would be more than just a slave to your emotional mind.

And I don't know if you have been reading this forum for very long buy only about 20% of threads are "directly" related to Taoist discussion. But that is the thing about Taoist discussion...it really can include most anything.

Except for maybe Naxis. But I really only see that as some type of emotional belt-lining on your part.

Your ideas about Taoism seem very pollyanna.

I am aware that there are passive members of this board. And the freedom I fought for while I served is what allow these people to be passive. I have no problem with that.

BTW The Art Of War is a Taoist writing. Taoists, in the most part, are not passive people. We will stand up for what is right and we will defend anything that is worth defending, and that includes the freedom we have in this wonderful nation of ours.

So are you just going to sit on your butt and allow someone to beat and rob you? Are you hust going to sit edly by while some junk-hear rapes your 11 year old daughter?

No, you are going to defend what you honor and love. Most members of militaries are doing the exact same thing.

Just remember that Taoism do not teach passivity. It teaches that we should understand nature and especially the nature of man and to be prepared to do whatever needs be done.

There are limits to being passive.

I will agree with you though that wars create only death and destruction but I will tell you right up front, I would rather it be my enemy who meets death and destruction rather than my enemy dealing it to me.

And if you or anyone else thing they have no enemies I suggest that they are sadly mistaken.

But I still wish for:

Peace & Love!

I haven't exalted passivity for activity: I'm just suggesting you to spend your energy in other directions!

I'd not stay passive if my family/my friends would be in danger, but an Army is about fighting for power and money.

Are these taoist values ?

Why are you thinking about people that can attach you ?

I'm studying kung fu and the training it's a lot about fighing. Still I'm not thinking about people threaten me: I've learnt to develop good feelings and joyful living, because of taoism, training and this forum too.

Of course I'd use my kung fu against someone that's trying to kill me, but it's not the point now.

If there were no armies at all in this world you would be more than just a slave to your emotional mind.

And I don't know if you have been reading this forum for very long buy only about 20% of threads are "directly" related to Taoist discussion. But that is the thing about Taoist discussion...it really can include most anything.

Except for maybe Naxis. But I really only see that as some type of emotional belt-lining on your part.

Your ideas about Taoism seem very pollyanna.

My emotional mind is not so powerful, don't worry :P

Taoism is nowadays a very broad meaning; still the point is about Compassion, war it's smt to avoid with every mean!

If the Army is ok, Nazi should be even more welcome in this forum: they use to have a deep interesting in esoterics, that's missing in western army :P

I'm looking for a free world, not a pollyanna one, here's a tip:

http://hermetic.com/bey/

Edited by buscon