Sign in to follow this  
shyguy

Is this a valuable book to start with?

Hi,

I am getting interested in Tao and everything relating to how we live, eat, breath, etc...

I purchased this book to begin learning:

The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity. by Daniel Reid.

My question is, given that I am new to this, is Daniel Reid (and his book) a legitimate and valuable source of information regarding Tao?

Are there other authors/books that people would more highly recommend that cover everything from food to exercise...?

Thank you!

What will you do when everyone will give you a different answer?

If you ask me, I will say yes.

And then I will say no.

And I'll have good reasons for both my answers.

You need to use your instinct.

Hi,

I am getting interested in Tao and everything relating to how we live, eat, breath, etc...

My question is, given that I am new to this, is Daniel Reid (and his book) a legitimate and valuable source of information regarding Tao?

Are there other authors/books that people would more highly recommend that cover everything from food to exercise...?

Thank you!

Yeah it's a good introductory overview book. Enjoy:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LPs9OEZqeH4C&dq=tao+of+health,+sex+and+longevity&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=GkZqTOrIFo3enQe9sYnFAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Yeah Daniel Reid and his wife are leading colon cleansing detox 7 day retreats in the Yunnan province of China -- pretty sweet!!

http://www.danreid.org/daniel-reid-news-updates.asp

Edited by drewhempel

I've read it and I like it. Quite broad, you have to start somewhere, and it's a pretty good start IMHO

One I don't own but wish I had started with is Scholar Warrior by Deng Ming-Dao (wrote the 365 Tao sayings that get posted around here)

Most of us have lots of books, you can never have too many :D

Good to start with but as all books very limited in conveying the whole message.

I would advice you to start a regime of sitting and walking meditation (there are hundreds of methods out there...ask here if you want further advice); live in a quiet area; eat following your body energetics according to seasonal changes and Five Elements Theory' drink purified water; breathe clean air and stay away from too many worldly distractions. And finally get involved in frequent retreats if you can.

This is all you need in your Taoist journey.

I don't know why anyone would recommend any book other than the Power of Now from Eckhart Tolle.

All you ever need is that book and offcourse Full Lotus posture.

World is going to see increasing chaos, conflicts , violence, natural disasters etc.

Time for taking retreats is over.Time for taking KAP course is also over.

People will not find clean water to drink. good food to eat. They will not find time to practice qigong etc.

Their ambitions like Kundalini awakening will be thwarted by the divine.

What divine wants to see at this time period is that if you can surrender or not when things go WRONG.

I mean seriously wrong. That is the only way to grow spiritualy from now onwards for majority of the population of the world.

Specially relevant are the last two chapters of the Book Power of Now which explains the meaning of surrender.

So just keep your inner space clean while things fall apart all around you.

It's not about being healthy , it's about what to do when you have AIDS and nowhere to go.

I don't believe in doomsday. I would much rather see peace, joy, and love flourish.

The Power of Now will show you how.

I place it even above the Bible and Quran.

Hi,

Thank you!

Hey shyguy. Personally, I feel that everything you read is nice food for thought.

As for the Tao? Perhaps you must read diffrent translations of Tao te Ching and carry the words on your heart, practicing the feeling of Tao. This will probably result in the highest return in the short term, so you can go read on and do other stuff with more inspiration.

It is hard to say what might be valuable for you at any given time. First you might read Tao the Ching and say that they don't make sense, later you might say it rox, later again it sux, etc. As little1 said big words, follow your instincts, become an animal, go in flee mode your entire life, run from dangers that aren't there.

Or instead, become the hero and die, do what you are afraid of, so you may rise and live once again as a true warrior. :ph34r:

Get used to saying no, accepting no aswell. Stop your whining instinct when you do courage. Go and do the right thing, even if that means making a complete fool out of yourself for the first time, for it will give you the highest return.

Smell ya later confidenceguy :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Daniel Reid's books are a fine choice for westerners just starting out, in part because he's such a great writer. I've read "The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing" and "The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity" and would recommend reading them in that order. The latter gets specific with issues that are beyond the scope of beginners. "Scholar/Warrior" is also a terrific choice, and they're both inexpensive online.

As an aside, I would be careful with how you solicit advice in this forum. As you found out, you asked for a simple book review/suggestion, and what you got instead was a lot of unsolicited spiritual advice and presumptuous nonsense by people trying to sound clever.

Of course, there are a handful of people in here who know what they're talking about too! :rolleyes:

Be well.

Edited by Blasto

I like Reid's books too (I have 3 of them). The content is not strictly Taoist, he does bring in a lot of naturopathic concepts too. Unless you're aiming for a fundamentalist Taoist approach (which I do not think you are) that shouldn't matter, and might be seen as an added bonus.

One thing he doesn't spend a lot of time on in the book that you mention is meditation. He talks a bit about MCO and alchemy near the end of the book. I think that many of us here agree on the importance of having a seated emptiness meditation practice besides the movement and dietary approaches, so that might be worth looking into as well. Good luck...and have fun!

I like Reid's books too (I have 3 of them). The content is not strictly Taoist, he does bring in a lot of naturopathic concepts too. Unless you're aiming for a fundamentalist Taoist approach (which I do not think you are) that shouldn't matter, and might be seen as an added bonus.

One thing he doesn't spend a lot of time on in the book that you mention is meditation. He talks a bit about MCO and alchemy near the end of the book. I think that many of us here agree on the importance of having a seated emptiness meditation practice besides the movement and dietary approaches, so that might be worth looking into as well. Good luck...and have fun!

What the hell is KAP?? I see it being mentioned here all the time but haven't read one thread where one says what it is. :blush:

I do a 20 minute consciously connected breathing session. Would that count as a emptiness meditation?

Sorry for the beginnerness. :)

EDIT: To the OP. Those are all good. Tolle is a must read. One good choice also would be "The CHI revolution" by B. Frantzis

Edited by BigCojones

What the hell is KAP?? I see it being mentioned here all the time but haven't read one thread where one says what it is. :blush:

I do a 20 minute consciously connected breathing session. Would that count as a emptiness meditation?

Sorry for the beginnerness. :)

EDIT: To the OP. Those are all good. Tolle is a must read. One good choice also would be "The CHI revolution" by B. Frantzis

For the expose on KAP you want to read this:

http://kapcult.wordpress.com/

There was just a thread on KAP started by the person doing that website -- then the KAP leader got banned for a week. Otherwise KAP regularly promotes their business here on taobums -- doing skype "shaktipat" transmissions, etc. So some people are pissed about taobums being used to promote KAP while others in taobums have joined KAP -- paying money, etc. -- so they defend KAP, and so on.

Just me mentioning it will cause a KAP flare-up which is almost as bad as hemorrhoids.

The 20 minute breathing exercise sounds like an emptiness practice to me -- basically the emptiness meditation can also focus on watching your breath. The idea of emptiness is to -- well people will argue about what it means of course -- but I call it the resonance of complementary opposites. Others might call it self concentration or "cessation and contemplation" or vipassana or zen/ch'an meditation, etc.

http://meditationexpert.com has some good articles on emptiness meditation.

I don't know why anyone would recommend any book other than the Power of Now from Eckhart Tolle.

All you ever need is that book and offcourse Full Lotus posture.

World is going to see increasing chaos, conflicts , violence, natural disasters etc.

Time for taking retreats is over.Time for taking KAP course is also over.

People will not find clean water to drink. good food to eat. They will not find time to practice qigong etc.

Their ambitions like Kundalini awakening will be thwarted by the divine.

What divine wants to see at this time period is that if you can surrender or not when things go WRONG.

I mean seriously wrong. That is the only way to grow spiritualy from now onwards for majority of the population of the world.

Specially relevant are the last two chapters of the Book Power of Now which explains the meaning of surrender.

So just keep your inner space clean while things fall apart all around you.

It's not about being healthy , it's about what to do when you have AIDS and nowhere to go.

I don't believe in doomsday. I would much rather see peace, joy, and love flourish.

The Power of Now will show you how.

I place it even above the Bible and Quran.

Well that would really suck...

Why do you believe this? Got any source?

Thanks for the quick and clear reply.

I hope I didn't start any KAP war here. :)

Didn't read the meditation links yet, but from what I understood from your answer on it and my experience with meditation (2,5 years of pretty constant practice) was that by complementary opposites it is to been seen as emptiness on one side and internal noise (thoughts, emotions, static chi etc.) on the other. And by watching these one will realize the internal movement as not self and emptiness as self until one day there is only emptiness...

If this is it, then that is exactly what i'm doing. :)

Thanks for the quick and clear reply.

Didn't read the meditation links yet, but from what I understood from your answer on it and my experience with meditation (2,5 years of pretty constant practice) was that by complementary opposites it is to been seen as emptiness on one side and internal noise (thoughts, emotions, static chi etc.) on the other. And by watching these one will realize the internal movement as not self and emptiness as self until one day there is only emptiness...

If this is it, then that is exactly what i'm doing. :)

Yeah basically it's also called "mind yoga" and it's considered the "goal as the path" which means it's a safe practice but it also means it's very slow. In Taoism there is emphasis on body transformation through standing active exercises like a simple tai-chi form or a static standing posture -- as bending the knees actives your life force jing energy -- the electrochemical emotional energy. Then the focus is on an exercise called the "microcosmic orbit" or "small universe" -- if you look online you can find a book readable online called "Awaken the Healing Energy through the Tao" that details the beginning "microcosmic orbit" practice. You can get the practice c.d. from http://springforestqigong.com for $11 -- the half hour "small universe" practice on the "Level one sitting meditation." Then for the advanced "small universe" practice you want to study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" also available to read online.

So for the concept of emptiness as resonance of complementary opposites it means there's an eternal transformation of energy that self-organizes as consciousness beyond spacetime. So the emptiness is consciousness but it is not static -- it is asymmetric and we exist within it always-already -- so we can "listen" to the emptiness but no one is listening. The listening listens to itself -- and from that emptiness then there's a spacetime vortex which creates light energy which is called shen in Taoism -- the spirit energy -- aka shakti in Hinduism. Then the shen turns into chi or prana as electromagnetic force energy and then the chi or prana turns into the jing electrochemical emotional energy.

This process works in reverse as well which is why by storing up and purifying or ionizing the electrochemical energy you can then create the chi electromagnetic energy which then creates the shen light energy -- and then that light energy creates a spacetime vortex as the emptiness.

The mind on its own is very weak and it requires a lot of life force energy to empty out the conceptual realm of the mind as the mind gets easily attached and controlled by the emotional energy. So first you have to build up the kidney energy and then the liver energy and then the heart energy -- first it's strong heat that is blissful and then it turns into electromagnetic fields. This is considered a traditional three month training period or 100 days called a "gong" -- which requires building up the life force energy and doing the "small universe" or "microcosmic orbit" practice, along with special diet, a good environment, etc.

Taobums is good to get discussion but it's more of an introductory realm as the conceptual realm of discursive thought is not the realm of meditation itself. So if you want to make serious results then it would probably require not using the internet because otherwise there's evil energy online -- people who pose as one thing and then lie while having bad intentions to suck off energy, etc. A lot of people can't read this energy online and so are innocently victims to it.

I, myself, use the computer as an excuse to sit in full lotus as my energy practice since the full lotus is the most effective means to clear out the energy blockages, along with fasting, and, of course, meditation.

Have you seen this video yet of a Taoist energy master healer?

Edited by drewhempel

I think we just love to debate practices starting with "K" you could also try Kundalini Awakening Process or for the 'bums version use google advanced search on us (http://www.thetaobums.com) {Since our own site search engine won't find 3 letter words :lol:}

But Drews cliff notes summary is pretty much all you need to know about the War.

I think we just love to debate practices starting with "K"

I've been thinking lately how there really might be something to this.

I like all of Daniel Reids books. They're good, they cover a lot of areas as well as philosophy and practical matters. But thats also one of the problems with them, they cover so much that they don't necessarily lay out a particular course of study.

Thats why other books or courses that lay out a specific regime might be useful adjuncts to his books. Spring Forest is good, many have found value in Falun Gong. IMO a 'live' teacher is better then a book.

As long as Kap has come up, I've done it. Its a live teacher (over the net), the lessons are done over skype so you get feed back and Q&A sessions in real time classes. Good stuff, but not every thing clicks with every one.

Schools and philosophies run from traditional, devotional, religious to modern. Some stress energy arts, others emptiness. Look around, ask around, find out which feels best to you.

Nothing wrong with shopping around while you're a beginners (which is the first couple years), but sooner or later its time to be marry (& flirt w/ other arts on the sly).

Michael

Sign in to follow this