Gaelicrock

Getting rid of stress

So, I've discovered that I have the amazing ability to make myself think I have health problems, which are really all in my mind.

Ex. I used to get stomachaches all the time, until one day I was like "no more stomachaches!" and they were gone!

Now, I was tested for scholeosis (sp?) four/five years ago, and it was determined that I was fine, even though I do have a little curviture in my spine.

Presently, I am experiencing some annoying back pain that I am fairly sure is just caused by stress and paranoia. My question is, how do I get this stress out of my body? I seem to put the stress somewhere (my stomach, now my back) instead of getting rid of it.

Any advice?

Also, I have a strange, bone-hard lump inside the back of my neck, right next to the spine just under the skull. It is akin to a much smaller lump on the left side. Is this a stress lump?

So, I've discovered that I have the amazing ability to make myself think I have health problems, which are really all in my mind.

Ex. I used to get stomachaches all the time, until one day I was like "no more stomachaches!" and they were gone!

Now, I was tested for scholeosis (sp?) four/five years ago, and it was determined that I was fine, even though I do have a little curviture in my spine.

Presently, I am experiencing some annoying back pain that I am fairly sure is just caused by stress and paranoia. My question is, how do I get this stress out of my body? I seem to put the stress somewhere (my stomach, now my back) instead of getting rid of it.

Any advice?

Also, I have a strange, bone-hard lump inside the back of my neck, right next to the spine just under the skull. It is akin to a much smaller lump on the left side. Is this a stress lump?

Jeez, you sound just like a medical student...they often manifest the symptoms in the organs they are studying in pathology. Nothing is really there, of course.

Try Heart Math Institute stuff: simple, and it works.

Also, I recommend Open Focus Brain training. Also very simple, can give you immediate relief from stress. A good way to lead into some nice meditative practices such as Mindfulness Meditation. Highly recommended. ;)

http://openfocus.com/Complimentary.html

Free introduction audio on Open Focus

O.K. I'm listening to the Open Focus Practice 1 -- it's been 7:30 minutes and FINALLY we get to some practical information. He says to practice it 3 times a day.

That's it. 7:30 minutes -- and 3 times of what? NOTHING -- he's told us nothing so far!!

He just says over and over that we need to be in open focus but it's hard to talk about -- and we need to release stress. yadda yadda.

Alright already -- get to the goods!!

So? 8:41 -- "how to we bring about this open focus?"

Answer: WE HAVE SOME TAPES that gives this information!

Oh thanks for wasting my time! Why not just start out saying I'm not going to tell you something...

O.K. so now he says "bring to bear a feeling of space between your eyes, feel, visualize, smell and taste and think about the space between your eyes.

Space between your eyes? O.K. gee thanks!

Now he says -- I know you CAN'T do that! Great.

TELL US WHAT TO DO!! 10:26 -- and still NOTHING about what we SHOULD do -- just what we shouldn't do thus far....

Now he says both "imagine" and "feeling" -- the space between your eyes.

So he says as an example -- can you imagine feeling the shape of your thumbs.

O.K. whatever dude. Big deal -- get to the goods already!

"Inside that shape you have a sense of presence of your thumb -- outside that shape what do you feel?"

NOTHING -- that's right!! That's the feeling of space!!

GEE thanks -- you can't feel space so that's what we should feel?

No -- the answer is we should feel the CONTRAST between the thumbs and the NOT-thumbs....

OH BIG SECRET there -- 13 minutes and that was the big insight -- to feel the CONTRAST between NOTHING and your thumbs....

O.K. I got part two going --

he keeps going on about imagining space -- not trying -- just imagining with no effort.

Then he goes back to what we shouldn't do - don't "grip" space -- just "imagine" space and since we can "imagine" space then we also become "aware" that we've been "gripping" our body parts.

So then we release a lot of tension in this process of imagining space.

Oooh big secret revealed! haha. 5 minutes in to part 2....

Still I'm sure it helps people who can't figure this out.

Edited by drewhempel

http://openfocus.com/Complimentary.html

Free introduction audio on Open Focus

O.K. I'm listening to the Open Focus Practice 1 -- it's been 7:30 minutes and FINALLY we get to some practical information. He says to practice it 3 times a day.

That's it. 7:30 minutes -- and 3 times of what? NOTHING -- he's told us nothing so far!!

He just says over and over that we need to be in open focus but it's hard to talk about -- and we need to release stress. yadda yadda.

Alright already -- get to the goods!!

So? 8:41 -- "how to we bring about this open focus?"

Answer: WE HAVE SOME TAPES that gives this information!

Oh thanks for wasting my time! Why not just start out saying I'm not going to tell you something...

O.K. so now he says "bring to bear a feeling of space between your eyes, feel, visualize, smell and taste and think about the space between your eyes.

Space between your eyes? O.K. gee thanks!

Now he says -- I know you CAN'T do that! Great.

TELL US WHAT TO DO!! 10:26 -- and still NOTHING about what we SHOULD do -- just what we shouldn't do thus far....

Now he says both "imagine" and "feeling" -- the space between your eyes.

So he says as an example -- can you imagine feeling the shape of your thumbs.

O.K. whatever dude. Big deal -- get to the goods already!

"Inside that shape you have a sense of presence of your thumb -- outside that shape what do you feel?"

NOTHING -- that's right!! That's the feeling of space!!

GEE thanks -- you can't feel space so that's what we should feel?

No -- the answer is we should feel the CONTRAST between the thumbs and the NOT-thumbs....

OH BIG SECRET there -- 13 minutes and that was the big insight -- to feel the CONTRAST between NOTHING and your thumbs....

O.K. I got part two going --

he keeps going on about imagining space -- not trying -- just imagining with no effort.

Then he goes back to what we shouldn't do - don't "grip" space -- just "imagine" space and since we can "imagine" space then we also become "aware" that we've been "gripping" our body parts.

So then we release a lot of tension in this process of imagining space.

Oooh big secret revealed! haha. 5 minutes in to part 2....

Still I'm sure it helps people who can't figure this out.

Lol!

Thanks!

Try starting some practice, qigong, tai chi or kungfu: look for the one you like at best.

For me kung fu, qigong and taoist meditation did the work: I used to be quite lazy, doing no sport at all for years (until almost my 30s). Now I cannot live without it, my average happiness is increased and I know what to do when I'm stressed.

Just try out for some time, keep on practicing and everything will adjust by itself :)

Good sex, massage, heart math, exercise and martial arts, foam rolling, breathing, healthy diet, doing things you love to do, hot baths, acupunture, playing with puppies or other pets, walking in nature, spending time with close friends, I could keeo going but whats the point ;)

Yes, please do go on, I am enjoying smiling on every count! :D:D

In a good "hey i can do that" or a "ha what a dumbass" :unsure: kind of way.

:( or :D ?

Stress eraser and inner smile should be a very good combo. Or just deep belly breathing and inner smile.

Not to bash anyone who is recommending these biofeedback products; however, I personally bought the EM Wave by the Heart Math Institute and I think it is totally useless. It doesn't provide you with real-time info via the LEDs so what good is that eh? But more to the point, let's get real here, no-frills breath awareness is going to be far more effective than watching lights blink. Unless you get a device that is able to chart your heart-rate over a certain duration of time, something like the EM Wave is a scam. Period. I spent almost 200 bucks for that piece of garbage.

Not to bash anyone who is recommending these biofeedback products; however, I personally bought the EM Wave by the Heart Math Institute and I think it is totally useless. It doesn't provide you with real-time info via the LEDs so what good is that eh? But more to the point, let's get real here, no-frills breath awareness is going to be far more effective than watching lights blink. Unless you get a device that is able to chart your heart-rate over a certain duration of time, something like the EM Wave is a scam. Period. I spent almost 200 bucks for that piece of garbage.

Ah thanks for the expose on Heartmath -- I used to be on their mailing list -- but never bought anything. Always thought it was a bit superficial.

stress-relax, like exercise then rest or get a massage

this is a natural rythm

but taking the psychological stress out is best handled by not creating it, so find the process and then a way to break it

No offense taken but I dnt do heart math that way. I guess the real message for me was listen/think to/with the brain in your heart. I do just that whne I am stressed and remember to do so. I just focus in on that brain and listen to what it saids. Works for me. That would seem like whet the should be promoting as practice. Why use a machine when your heart is available to you 24 7? :wub:

No offense taken but I dnt do heart math that way. I guess the real message for me was listen/think to/with the brain in your heart. I do just that whne I am stressed and remember to do so. I just focus in on that brain and listen to what it saids. Works for me. That would seem like whet the should be promoting as practice. Why use a machine when your heart is available to you 24 7? :wub:

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I did find Gregg Braden's information on the brain-heart connection interesting. I know the guys that are promoting the devices really believe in them but as you said, utilizing the information and not a machine is key here.