beoman

heart rate increases when doing standing taoist breathing

I've been learning how to do taoist / natural breathing, based on "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body." i think I'm getting better. My belly, sides, and lower back expand in unison, and i'm working on getting my upper back to expand by taking deeper breaths.

normally i practice this sitting or lying down. however i've tried it standing up a few times. when I've tried it standing, my heart rate quickly goes way up and I can feel my heart beating harder / more intensely as well. this takes less than a minute to happen. is there any particular reason for this? is it good/bad? i assume it's related to the breathing, because i stand and walk around during the day and that doesn't happen. i don't thiink it's because I'm short of breath - I don't feel that way anyway. i am breathing in and out rather quickly, though. maybe I'm doing it wrong, as I can still take deeper breaths if I breathe using the front of my chest.

I've been learning how to do taoist / natural breathing, based on "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body." i think I'm getting better. My belly, sides, and lower back expand in unison, and i'm working on getting my upper back to expand by taking deeper breaths.

normally i practice this sitting or lying down. however i've tried it standing up a few times. when I've tried it standing, my heart rate quickly goes way up and I can feel my heart beating harder / more intensely as well. this takes less than a minute to happen. is there any particular reason for this? is it good/bad? i assume it's related to the breathing, because i stand and walk around during the day and that doesn't happen. i don't thiink it's because I'm short of breath - I don't feel that way anyway. i am breathing in and out rather quickly, though. maybe I'm doing it wrong, as I can still take deeper breaths if I breathe using the front of my chest.

It's supposed to emulate the kind of breathing that is done through

active exercise. Don't think of the heart rate increase as a bad thing.