Sign in to follow this  
宁

Body Fat and Qi

Hi there,

No, it's not about weight loss.

It's a thread that I plan to make something serious out of - I don't open a thread unless it's something serious that I want US to talk about and debate. I will apreciate any input, especially from long time practicioners and teachers.

It's adressed to people that have experienced shiftings in their weight, whether they were skinny and now are fat, or they were fat and now are skinny, or the eventually found a way to INCREASE OR DECREASE THE BODY FAT as they please, with common methods.

Let's give it a shot, and see what comes up!

Thanks!

Since polls seem unavailable for some strange reason, I'll do it the old fashion way.

Q's:

1. ? Have you found your cultivation going smoother when

- fat

- overweight

- normal weight

- skinny

2. ? When did you feel the most able to acumulate Qi

- fat

- overweight

- normal weight

- skinny

3. ? Which were the practices you enjoyed most when you were

- fat

- overweight

- normal weight

- skinny

That's a starting poing, let's see how far we can go with this.

L1

Edited by Little1

Well personally I'm rather skinny (5'9,135 lbs) because I find I can feel energy more and store it better on an empty stomach. I actually find that there are certain foods that GIVE me energy and certain foods that TAKE energy. My pinnacle was when I was sungazing and living off of about 3-4 pieces of fresh fruit a day, my energy was almost unbearably high to the point where if I didn't run at least 5 miles a day and spend an hour hitting a punching bag my chi would grow stagnant. I always find the less I eat the more energy I tend to have (but of course water fasting still tends to leave me drained so it's a balance).

White sugar and most cooked food is especially bad for me. The sugar makes it hard to focus, sit still and move slowly. Cooked food is very dehydrating for me which leaves me drained.

SO in conclusion

1- skinny

2- skinny

3-skinny

:P

-Astral

I find.. Training does go a bit more smoothly when im a bit on the light end, so like 150/157.

Thing is my appetite has dramatically dropped since I've started training. Especially right after training, im not hungry nor thirsty.

I eat pretty much for the nutrients, I know, im boring.

In the end if your training, you probably won't be that hungry anyway, although you may feel "Full" in a sense.

As someone who has sacrificed exercise and nutrition to find out if energy work is actually good for people's health (it is), I have to say: being overweight sucks. Back to the gym and eating properly for me!

Never understood how the higher level masters always were hefty?

Growing up on Bruce Lee and Sugar Ray Leonard and equating being ripped with winning I guess.

Must have forgot about Foreman and Fraiser.

At the Zoo this weekend I read that the primates were not fat just a higher ratio of "Guts" or intestines.

See where I'm going with this.

In Qigong so much work involves the gut.

I have also noticed over the years that psychics and clairvoyants tend to be on the hefty side as well.

(higher concentration of H2O electrolytes, or just more cells for conductivity?)

On a personal level my Cardio test just placed me at hefty, thus my use of the word. (I'm good btw)

Yeah! Back to the gym for me as well.

Sorry if I did not stick to the format.

Tip top topic!!!

Thanks,

Edited by sifusufi

Interesting, many of you were cutting down weight... what about gaining weight, anyone doing that on purpose, or as a result of cultivation?

Interesting, many of you were cutting down weight... what about gaining weight, anyone doing that on purpose, or as a result of cultivation?

I'm trying to increase my calories and fat intake to see if it will affect my nervous system in a positive way, making me more calm and focused for meditation. I also plan to include a "workout" (not via traditional means), so weight gain may be a by-product of this temporary experiment but it's not my goal.

Honestly if I spill seed I tend to eat more to replenish. This may be applicable across the board.

When I first cultivated I was in excellent shape, working out, eating anything but that was 6 yrs ago

I believe age, + a Diagnosis of Hashimotos thyroiditis and arthritis may have slowed me down.

I often wonder if these may be related to retention in any way (physical Chia, Winn style)

I spent years weight training to bulk up.

Now I realise I don't need it and it weighs me down (pun intended)

I feel if I could just lean out all will be well, but cardio hurts and I eat to keep my brain going for my 13+ hour shifts. (nites at that)

My wife feels cortisol is responsible, WHICH IS WEIRD because I remember Jerry Alan Johnson waxing poetic in an 1985 Bagua video

about the practice increasing cortisol levels !

Having this darn computer keeps me...well... OK I'M ADDICTED! There!

I hereby proclaim to amp up my $3X life!!! Cardio thru $3X! Cool!

Stellar thread,

Rob

Honestly if I spill seed I tend to eat more to replenish. This may be applicable across the board.

When I first cultivated I was in excellent shape, working out, eating anything but that was 6 yrs ago

I believe age, + a Diagnosis of Hashimotos thyroiditis and arthritis may have slowed me down.

I often wonder if these may be related to retention in any way (physical Chia, Winn style)

I spent years weight training to bulk up.

Now I realise I don't need it and it weighs me down (pun intended)

I feel if I could just lean out all will be well, but cardio hurts and I eat to keep my brain going for my 13+ hour shifts. (nites at that)

My wife feels cortisol is responsible, WHICH IS WEIRD because I remember Jerry Alan Johnson waxing poetic in an 1985 Bagua video

about the practice increasing cortisol levels !

Having this darn computer keeps me...well... OK I'M ADDICTED! There!

I hereby proclaim to amp up my $3X life!!! Cardio thru $3X! Cool!

Stellar thread,

Rob

If you spill your seed you need to wait for it to replenish. Many traditions suggest that men should wait at least 3 days before they engaging in Qigong or Neigong.

I don't know what you do, but taiji may help you alot.

Retention - you need to find out if your retention (if you use the 3 finger method) is working properly. If it does, the liquid returns to the testicles. If not, it goes into the bladder. Pee into a jar, after you have sex with physical retention. If the liquid remains clear at the bottom after an hour, you're good. If not, re-read the instructions. Over and over.

Cortisol is not the same if produced inside or in-taken.

On topic, I think the body burns alot of reserves when your practice builds something inside of you. Having just enough fat may help you not feel drained afterwards.

Someone told me that if you feel refreshed after practice, something is not working right... It should be pretty consuming.

Thoughts?

Carrying body fat is no good for liver Qi. Drink green and pu-erh teas daily but at different times as earth and wood energies are not harmonious together (controlling cycle). These teas will keep your body fat low, especially the pu erh type.

I have the experiences from normal weight to fat, and then from fat to normal weight for a few times, I have to say normal weight is the most healthy state as well as for cultivating Qi.

Well, I have been skinny my whole life.

I am 5'11" and a year ago I weighed 152lbs.

After a year of training and giving up dairy products, I weigh 136lbs.

I lost most of it in my legs. My thighs are nothing but muscle.

I do yoga, tai chi, and other qi cultivating exercises.

Sign in to follow this