mewtwo

Chi packed breakfast dishes?

Ok so some of you might be aware i am curently enrolled in jopb corps for the culinary arts. And i will likely be helping out in the school cafeteria since i am complete with the program and technicaly a chef. I am still in job corps cause i am waiting to move to conneticutt for advanced training in new haven.

Anyways I was wondering what are some chi packed foods one could make for breakfast in case they let my make my own thing? They may or may not let me make my own thing i have to talk to the head chef on this one. So anyone got any ideas on chi or prana packed foods?

For breakfast we usually have a choice of bacon or sausage hash brown and eggs and some kind of breackfast bread like a pancake or a waffle or frenchtoast.

Chi packed tends to be simple. Like half a melon, maybe with flavored cottage cheese inside. Steel cut oatmeal simmered w/ dried fruit w/ half cooked egg on top. Freshly squeezed juices.

Michael

Most foods that are natural and unprocessed are packed with chi. Organic free range meats, fruits, nuts and seeds ect.. have chi, I would worry about the people eating it liking it lol

Ok so some of you might be aware i am curently enrolled in jopb corps for the culinary arts. And i will likely be helping out in the school cafeteria since i am complete with the program and technicaly a chef. I am still in job corps cause i am waiting to move to conneticutt for advanced training in new haven.

Anyways I was wondering what are some chi packed foods one could make for breakfast in case they let my make my own thing? They may or may not let me make my own thing i have to talk to the head chef on this one. So anyone got any ideas on chi or prana packed foods?

For breakfast we usually have a choice of bacon or sausage hash brown and eggs and some kind of breackfast bread like a pancake or a waffle or frenchtoast.

Too many carbs and fat for me. I always have a protein shake every morning.

ralis

I tried to post a Krispy Kreme donut and it says that is not allowed. :lol:

ralis

Edited by ralis

Lately I have been making a morning drink of Spirulina, Maca, Protein Powder, and MSM.

Then about 10 am I have a breakfast sandwich which is one egg on two slices of wheat with a slice of cheese. :-)

I have been finding that if I start eating too much too early it kicks in a stronger feeling of wanting to snack all day.

That is a pretty big breakfast with two servings of proteins and two servings of carbs. It's no wonder people need coffee to stay awake after all that :P

I do like that kind of breakfast occasionally on the weekends though.

Sounds like you could just pick one protein and one carb and try to keep it light. Or you could have half at around 8 and the other half around 10.

Wow lucky for you to be around all that food! :D

I'm a pretty light guy because I run and cycle so much, but I sure really do love to cook and to eat! This morning I am making crepes! Yum!

All vegetables are richer in prana than meat-based foods. Preserved meats are worst (deli type). Fresh Fish is better than any meat...

In vegetables, those that grow upward are richer in prana than those that grow downward (or below the ground). When we talk about prana we have to talk about gunas (or qualities). In Indian Medicine, there are three qualities -- Sattva (Spiritual), Rajas (Royal) and Tamas (inertia). In terms of properties, Sattva is balanced (Yin/Yang), Rajas is Yang and Tamas is Yin.

Fruits like Mango are Rajasic, Cucumbers etc are Sattvic, Meat is Tamasic. Can give you more details if you are interested.

All vegetables are richer in prana than meat-based foods.

I'll take dried meat, when I'm exhausted.

Not necessarely with breakfast.

Protein is my friend :closedeyes:

If I would eat pancakes or waffles with maple syrup, I would be sick in about 30 min. Oatmeal is fine sometimes. However, my protein shake works great. Been doing that for 6 years.

ralis

All vegetables are richer in prana than meat-based foods. Preserved meats are worst (deli type). Fresh Fish is better than any meat...

In vegetables, those that grow upward are richer in prana than those that grow downward (or below the ground). When we talk about prana we have to talk about gunas (or qualities). In Indian Medicine, there are three qualities -- Sattva (Spiritual), Rajas (Royal) and Tamas (inertia). In terms of properties, Sattva is balanced (Yin/Yang), Rajas is Yang and Tamas is Yin.

Fruits like Mango are Rajasic, Cucumbers etc are Sattvic, Meat is Tamasic. Can give you more details if you are interested.

The Innuits, Chukchi, and other native peoples living in the vicinity of the arctic circle traditionally ate 95% meat and fish, 5% everything else. They had no degenerative disease whatsoever before they adopted Western eating.

Mongols, still one of the healthiest populations on earth, eat mostly animal products, and dried/preserved meats (minus nitrites and other chemical preservatives, which are indeed the devil in the commercial preserved meats) are an off season staple.

Sattvic, rajic and tamasic foods do not correspond to yin-yang distinctions because they are set categories while yin-yang is a dynamic interaction, and foods can only be "more yin" or "more yang" in comparison to other foods, nothing is yin or yang by itself, and nothing is yin-yang balanced for purposes of being itself any more than something else -- provided it's not diseased. Yin-yang imbalances within self (whether a human self or a cucumber self) are encountered only in abnormal conditions, while something being "more yin" or "more yang" makes sense only in comparisons with something else. E.g., mango is more yang than a cucumber, but far less yang than a steak. (The inversion of yin-yang in relation to food properties is the legacy of macrobiotic anti-yin gurus who went out of the way to saddle all foods they don't like with yin properties, and to do this they had to completely ignore the true TCM findings about their yin-yang affiliations.)

What grows below the ground compared to what grows up in a tree is generally more yin. Energy-wise, root vegetables are packed with yin energies, which provide things like "grounding," "stability of character and health," and the rest of those yummy yin goodies. However, which ones to preferentially eat, the more yin ones or the more yang ones, would best be determined by what one needs to support, yin energies or yang energies. In Ayurvedic terms translated into TCM terms, a vatta-pitta needs more yin foods, a pitta-kapha needs more yang foods, etc.

Sorry to disagree on every count, but... Food is important, misunderstanding food is misunderstanding self, the world, and tao herself.

and tao herself.

The tao is not defined by any gender! That is an anthropomorphic projection onto the cosmos.

ralis

Edited by ralis

The tao is not defined by any gender! That is an anthropomorphic projection onto the cosmos.

ralis

I'm just following the Chinese taoist tradition as established by Laozi who consistently and repeatedly refers to tao as "The Great Mother." (When he brings up a food metaphor, e.g., he says, "I nourish at the Great Mother's breast.") It has been well established that mothers are, generally, female. Mine is. I'm pretty sure so is yours. So is tao, "the great mother" to taoist traditionalists. :)

I'm just following the Chinese taoist tradition as established by Laozi who consistently and repeatedly refers to tao as "The Great Mother." (When he brings up a food metaphor, e.g., he says, "I nourish at the Great Mother's breast.") It has been well established that mothers are, generally, female. Mine is. I'm pretty sure so is yours. So is tao, "the great mother" to taoist traditionalists. :)

Your totally right. I have come across research showting that taoism has its rotts in chinese shamans who worshipped the divine mother. Also analyze the yin and yand symbol, its all enwrapped in a Black "yin" circle, im sure that wasnt an accident and wasnt overlookedby taoist sages...

Taomeow mentioned congee earlier. Jook is another name for it. Here is a recipe book:

The Book of Jook: Chinese Medicinal Porridges--A Healthy Alternative to the Typical Western Breakfast

Review

"Time honored combinations of any member of the grains, vegetables, meat, eggs, and/or Chinese herbs make porridge known as jook or congee. For most folk, they are breakfast foods. They are also easily made overnight in a crock pot, economical, popular among the elderly, nutritious, and delicious" -- Flavor & Fortune: Dedicated to the Art & Science of Chinese Cuisine, December, 1997

Product Description

These Chinese medicinal porridges - called jook in Cantonese and congee or porridge in English - can be a healthy alternative to the typical Western breakfast. Cooked in a crockpot overnight and combining specific grains, vegetables, meats, eggs, or various Chinese herbs, there are medicinal porridges for every type of ailment. Included are hundreds of herbal porridge recipes for both prevention and remedial purposes. This book is great for laypersons as well as professional readers.

The Innuits, Chukchi, and other native peoples living in the vicinity of the arctic circle traditionally ate 95% meat and fish, 5% everything else. They had no degenerative disease whatsoever before they adopted Western eating.

Mongols, still one of the healthiest populations on earth, eat mostly animal products, and dried/preserved meats (minus nitrites and other chemical preservatives, which are indeed the devil in the commercial preserved meats) are an off season staple.

Sattvic, rajic and tamasic foods do not correspond to yin-yang distinctions because they are set categories while yin-yang is a dynamic interaction, and foods can only be "more yin" or "more yang" in comparison to other foods, nothing is yin or yang by itself, and nothing is yin-yang balanced for purposes of being itself any more than something else -- provided it's not diseased. Yin-yang imbalances within self (whether a human self or a cucumber self) are encountered only in abnormal conditions, while something being "more yin" or "more yang" makes sense only in comparisons with something else. E.g., mango is more yang than a cucumber, but far less yang than a steak. (The inversion of yin-yang in relation to food properties is the legacy of macrobiotic anti-yin gurus who went out of the way to saddle all foods they don't like with yin properties, and to do this they had to completely ignore the true TCM findings about their yin-yang affiliations.)

What grows below the ground compared to what grows up in a tree is generally more yin. Energy-wise, root vegetables are packed with yin energies, which provide things like "grounding," "stability of character and health," and the rest of those yummy yin goodies. However, which ones to preferentially eat, the more yin ones or the more yang ones, would best be determined by what one needs to support, yin energies or yang energies. In Ayurvedic terms translated into TCM terms, a vatta-pitta needs more yin foods, a pitta-kapha needs more yang foods, etc.

Sorry to disagree on every count, but... Food is important, misunderstanding food is misunderstanding self, the world, and tao herself.

Gunas and Yin/Yang are very related. You might have misunderstood what the Gunas are. They are not static by any definition but keep inter-playing and affecting the subject. You ARE right...people in certain regions do sustain themselves on meat...but the evironmental conditions have them do that. If they lived in a place where weather was not conducive, they would suffer from massive health issues (albeit I doubt if the health-levels in those specific groups are as good as you make them out to be). I would recommend Dr Vasant Lad's book on Ayurveda if you want to learn more about this topic...

Gunas and Yin/Yang are very related. You might have misunderstood what the Gunas are. They are not static by any definition but keep inter-playing and affecting the subject. You ARE right...people in certain regions do sustain themselves on meat...but the evironmental conditions have them do that. If they lived in a place where weather was not conducive, they would suffer from massive health issues (albeit I doubt if the health-levels in those specific groups are as good as you make them out to be). I would recommend Dr Vasant Lad's book on Ayurveda if you want to learn more about this topic...

OK, agree about environment interplaying with nutrition -- the sunnier it is, the less meat one can get away with eating. I've never met whole enclaves of vegetarians when I lived on the East Coast but they are ubiquitous here in California. Which only confirms my assertion (while refuting the opposite one) that meat is very yang. So is the sun. If you have plenty of one, you can get away with not having plenty of the other. This is also seasonal-individual -- I'm a far more voracious meat eater in winter (even in CA) than in summer.

I've read Dr. Vasant Lad's books as my first intro to Ayurveda, years ago. The book on the subject that persisted on my reference shelf is by Maya Tiwari... here's a reference back at you!:) I've studied many (most major and scores of minor) nutritional traditions of the world over the years, my current preferences and understanding are the integrated outcome of this endeavor, and this understanding is still not carved in stone... interacting with food is easily one of the most challenging and exciting endeavors of a lifetime... has been since the dawn of time.

Good thread!

What of the "grain" issues mentioned on the other thread?

To what extent (and which types)are grains "healthy" or not for people? I keep seeing recommendations to abstain from grain. The book "Immortal Sisters" mentions it too.

Good thread!

To what extent (and which types)are grains "healthy" or not for people? I keep seeing recommendations to abstain from grain. The book "Immortal Sisters" mentions it too.

That might well be the healthiest (and ancient) way to eat, but it's hard to pull off under current conditions. For starters, I would (almost did, except for occasional relapses) eliminate all gluten-containing grains -- wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, amaranth, and also corn (they can't decide whether it's gluten-containing but it behaves as a major immune system confuser anyway.) Gluten is very close in its molecular structure to certain ancient viruses (so much so that it is rather mind-bogglingly possible that these grains were genetically spliced with the virus by aliens who introduced agriculture as a prerequisite for human enslavement -- freedom and agriculture don't mix.) Human immune systems mistake gluten for this virus and attack it on a daily basis for as long as one eats these grains. So our immune systems wage a pointless war all our grain-eating life, exhausting their resources and making more and more mistakes, just like a country constantly at war against an artificially created enemy.

I'm pretty sure other grains have a very dark side too, but I would start eliminating them all gradually, beginning with the more virulent ones. Currently, by way of grains I try to eat only rice, some millet and quinoa, and -- though it's not a grain, it looks and behaves in cooking like one -- buckwheat (related to cabbage rather than to wheat despite its name). Buckwheat can stay, but the rest might eventually go. I'm convinced grain-eating is very addictive and very unnatural. I was a peculiar kid -- I didn't want any grains in my diet, nor any sweets made with refined sugar... only meat, veggies, fruit, period. I was force-fed even chocolate! to say nothing of milk and bread and the like... So if I find my "original self," a taoist pursuit if there ever was one, I think the remaining grains will just drop off. Or maybe it's vice versa?... work in progress...:)

Good thread!

Well, they do say that grass-fed livestock is healthier than grain-fed livestock.

Although, I'd be rather skeptical if this was the reason behind ancient bigu...

Edited by vortex

Well, they do say that grass-fed livestock is healthier than grain-fed livestock.

Although, I'd be rather skeptical if this was the reason behind ancient bigu...

The reason for bigu as explained in taoist sources is, there are three monsters in the human body that feed on grains. They are sometimes called "the three worms," but depicted graphically as monsters. They get nourishment from no other source but the grains you eat, and if you don't eat any grains, you starve them. The three monsters are, effectively, provocateurs in the taoist tradition: they cause you to misbehave and overstep all sorts of moral and ethical boundaries, then snitch on you to the Jade Emperor!

What would this correspond to in Western scientific terms, what d'you reckon?;)