Gaelicrock

The Tao on Wisdom

Hmm, I've been looking at the forums here for a while now. I've checked a lot of the "How do I start?" posts, and most people say that Taoism is the pursuit of wisdom. Maybe not most, but a lot.

Here's some verses from the Tao de Ching that made me think:

When the Way is forgotten

Duty and justice appear;

Then knowledge and wisdom appear

Along with hypocrisy

and

If we could abolish knowledge and wisdom

Then people would profit a hundred fold;

These verses, number 18 and 19, are longer, but these are the parts that caught my attention.

Hmm, I've been looking at the forums here for a while now. I've checked a lot of the "How do I start?" posts, and most people say that Taoism is the pursuit of wisdom. Maybe not most, but a lot.

Here's some verses from the Tao de Ching that made me think:

When the Way is forgotten

Duty and justice appear;

Then knowledge and wisdom appear

Along with hypocrisy

Hi I am new here too.

Yet ironically a 'Real Person 真人' is one that completely abolish every idea of Tao.

There really is a pretty big difference between the knowledge spoken to by Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu that they suggest should be abolished and the wisdon they suggest we should attain.

This subject is rather complex and requires much discussion but hopefully there will be good participation from the members so that the subject can be analyzed a bit.

But I will say this right now: the knowledge Lao and Chuang referred to mostly is that knowledge that changes man's original nature.

Let's see how this goes.

Peace & Love!

Nice topic.

However, what might be this pursuit?

"The pursuit of learning is to increase day after day.

The pursuit of Tao is to decrease day after day."

(chap. 48, tr. W.T. Chan)

;)

Edited by Tao99

Ha! Sounds like a paradox, doesn't it?

Well, it's not, really.

Nice topic.

However, what might be this pursuit?

"The pursuit of learning is to increase day after day.

Learn the ways of Nature and man and all things in your environment so that you can increase your potential for a full and meaningful life.

The pursuit of Tao is to decrease day after day."

(chap. 48, tr. W.T. Chan)

;)

Decrease your desires and ego and you will have fewer things in your life to concern yourself with thereby having a better chance at finding peace & contentment.

Peace & Love!

There really is a pretty big difference between the knowledge spoken to by Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu that they suggest should be abolished and the wisdon they suggest we should attain.

This subject is rather complex and requires much discussion but hopefully there will be good participation from the members so that the subject can be analyzed a bit.

But I will say this right now: the knowledge Lao and Chuang referred to mostly is that knowledge that changes man's original nature.

Let's see how this goes.

Peace & Love!

"But I will say this right now: the knowledge Lao and Chuang referred to mostly is that knowledge that changes man's original nature". From MH

- The original nature is Tao - "man" is one of its forms, that form has the potential to sychronize to the realization and knowledge of Tao, which does not change.

Om

I won't say anything else at the moment because I would just lead this off topic and I think the main concept (knowledge vs wisdom) deserves more attention.

Peace & Love!

Okay. Someone wants to hear more.

I'll say this: Knowledge is learned facts (whether they are true or not) but wisdom is intuitive 'knowing'.

(That's why I have to be careful when arguing with VJ. Hehehe.)

Peace & Love!