beoman

meditation and alzheimers

Is there any study on the prevalence of Alzheimer's in people who meditate? Does it reduce the incidence of Alzheimer's as my intuition would be?

Also has anybody who has reached enlightenment gotten Alzheimer's? That'd be interesting.. wonder how that would manifest itself. Or is that impossible for some reason?

I have seen some stuff about memory in old age and meditation that showed a very good effect. I have also seen lots of research on beneficial effects of meditation on the brain that would indicate that it would also prevent alzheimer although this research did not look directly at that issue. Also I read a book buy this guy: http://www.drdharma.com/Public/Home/index.cfm that had a lot of info about memory loss and meditation, A study he conducted showed very good effect. Personally I think meditation alone more or less completely removes the posibility. If qigong is inlcluded as well I think you can be 99% sure it won`t happen. I have also asked myself what would happen to enlightened alzheimer people or what would happen if htey got serious brain injury or just did a ton of LSD.

I have seen some stuff about memory in old age and meditation that showed a very good effect. I have also seen lots of research on beneficial effects of meditation on the brain that would indicate that it would also prevent alzheimer although this research did not look directly at that issue. Also I read a book buy this guy: http://www.drdharma.com/Public/Home/index.cfm that had a lot of info about memory loss and meditation, A study he conducted showed very good effect. Personally I think meditation alone more or less completely removes the posibility. If qigong is inlcluded as well I think you can be 99% sure it won`t happen. I have also asked myself what would happen to enlightened alzheimer people or what would happen if htey got serious brain injury or just did a ton of LSD.

yea that'd be interesting. I heard a story where they gave a pair of Buddhist monks LSD, but soon the monks said the experience was too intense, so they had to abort the experiment (I think you can take / inject something to make the LSD trip stop).

I also heard a story about a zen buddhist who took ecstasy. he said the clarity you felt while on X was similar to the clarity he was able to achieve with meditation. he said "it took me 20 years to get there, but I'm glad I did it the long way", or smth like that. I do know meditation increases serotonin levels, and that is also what X does =P.

(I think you can take / inject something to make the LSD trip stop).

mega dose of vitamin C :wacko:

Drugs you have to pay for, meditation is free.

Good for mind body and soul, good enough for me :)