DanC

Rhodiola

Anyone have any experiences with Rhodiola, I've ordered 2 bottles off Iherb for my derpression and fatigue, looks like its similar to ginseng but not as stimulating..

Dan

Edited by DanC

I have taken it off and on, for a few years. The effect at the beginning was a noticeable lightening of mood. it can be stimulating, which is why it is usually taken early in the day. With prolonged use, it seemed to lose it's effects, and I even noticed that it started to cause increased sweating, which is prop ably an idiosyncratic reaction. I would encourage you to experiment with it.

I noticed a certain lightness in my wallet, but nothing more. It was disappointing given the amount of literature, but I was still eating plenty of excessive carbs and caffeine when I took it.

Maca, however, was a different story. It's the only product I found during my days working at The Vitamin Shoppe that really gave me a boost. Taking it was like having the 4pm slowdown extended to around 7pm.

Anyone have any experiences with Rhodiola, I've ordered 2 bottles off Iherb for my derpression and fatigue, looks like its similar to ginseng but not as stimulating..

Dan

I worked with one of the first bulk ingredient companies in the US to import real Russian Rhodiola rosea over ten years ago. The Russians did a great deal of scientific research on the properties and constituents of this herb. Russia is not the only source, but they did the modern research establishing its value.

Make sure you purchase Rhodiola Rosea.

I strongly recommend you acquire a liquid tincture.

this stuff is definitely a good tonic IF you get real rhodiola rosea.

Rhodiola crenulata and other chinese/tibetan species are commonly used in the industry and they do not have the same effect. They do have some effect but not as strong, and perhaps not entirely the same.

I find Rhodiola to be stimulating, but more so mentally. It is also quite astringent and drying.

DanC

If you ordered a powdered extract please determine if it is rhodiola rosea and whether it is standardized to contain Rosavin, rosacin. If it is standardized to contain only salidrosides you are getting poor product. If it is not fully identified as to species or constituent I strongly recommend you seek a refund.

Blasto. the research for rhodiola to be effective for weight loss shows that it has an effect on stress. Reduction of stress causes reduced cortisol production and therefore reduced deposits of belly fat, or so goes the theory. Clinically it is possible that this approach might work under very controlled conditions. Practically it is probably less than effective for weight control.

I also have the intuitive sense that Rhodiola is a tonic for the Heart (TCM meaning).

I like it.

PS - When I visited tibet in 2004 the guide gave the whole group Rhodiola extract in little bottles like you get ginseng in order to help us adapt to the elevation (10,000 feet at the airport). So it is known and used as an adaptogen by "modern" tibetans too.

VCraigP,

The product I have ordered has "Rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea) Extract (Root) (Standardized to min. 3% Total Rosavins and min. 1% Salidrosides)" they are 500mg Veg capsules..

Dan