Sign in to follow this  
mcompton1973

Where to start

I started this thread about 10 times.

and each one made me sound about as ignorant as possible.

So now I start out saying, I am ignorant, so please excuse me.

I am 37. I have a wife, three kids, a home on 5 acres in Nebraska (30 mins outside of Omaha), I am 5'9 and weigh 220 pounds, and I work in sales.

I tell you that because I am pretty much typical American man. Grew up Christian to the point that I almost went to become a Baptist preacher (that was about 12-13 years ago). I cant find it in me to believe that any more...but I find since then that I still crave for something. I have been drawn to Eastern Philosophies almost naturally...if that makes since? for several years...but not to where I have 'studied' or 'practiced' them...just on a very superficial basis.

Recently I just keep feeling like I am not living...in harmony, I dont feel good physically, I dont feel good spiritually...etc etc etc. I went back...maybe I am missing God...and reading the bible, trying church...that wasnt it. Then I came across some notes I had in a notebook about what I believe to be true, and started looking for what fits what I have determined to be true, and have come to Taoism.

So what now? where do I start? what do I do?

As I said I am very western, and I cant give up my job in sales, and start meditating all day. (I TOLD you I sound ignorant...) I know that is not what it asked...but I know part of me is going to struggle with ego and self importance and monetary goals etc...because its required of me to keep my family happy etc.

I dont know what I dont know, and I dont know where to start.

There is not much in the way of resources locally that I have been able to find. i.e. i cant find much in the way of Tai Chi classes, or TCM etc etc locally...much less a Toaist master to teach me. (believe it or not Omaha is not the bastion of ancient Chinese Wisdom that you might think it is....)

Any insights, direction, online courses, books, etc etc etc etc etc.

Thank you...and I apologize for my ignorance.

Greetings, Mr. Compton -

Now you've done it.

You've given a couple dozen of us yet another frenzied opportunity to indulge in the competitive practice of giving the Taoist lowdown to newcomers. You're about to get a great deal of advice. My advice will be best. Everyone else's will be inferior.

Just kidding.

Like you, I know vastly more about the Judeo-Christian tradition than I know about Taoism, but clearing up the Big Differences is really helpful. goes a long way. As you know, our western tradition demonized our physical selves; Spirit good, body bad. Heaven for souls, Hell for the sins of the flesh. There are many interesting reasons for this that we needn't get into here, but suffice it to say that the ancient Chinese of the Yellow River Valley did not make that fateful split between body and soul. Taoists embrace the physical and realize that a healthy mental and spiritual life begins with the body, not by taking shortcuts around it. (Obviously, there are Christians who exercise; we're talking about seeking your salvation via the body, not by marginalizing it.)

Aside from the issue of Heavy Spiritual Matters, the question of which physical practice to begin is just as contentious amongst us all. You've actually joined up at a good time, for their has been a robust discussion of specific practices best suited for beginners. Bindo and I both practice Chu Nei Kung - www.neikungla.com - and I would heartily encourage you to explore the information for a few good reasons:

It's much simpler than Tai Chi, even simpler than other Chi Kung practices.

It lies at the root of the Chinese energy arts, be they medical, spiritual or martial.

It can be practiced in Omaha with a minimum of instruction, but I bet this guy is qualified to check your basic postures, and he's right in town. -

http://www.pinpointmedicine.com/

I can feel the wind of esoteric and philosophical advice already beginning to blow, but let me just conclude with the bottom line -

There's nothing mysterious about Chi kung practice, at least in the beginning (plenty of opportunity for heavy experiences as you progress. It's really about using breath, postures, and movements to shut off your "Fight or Flight" hormonal condition and turn on the "Rest and Digest" mode. Your blood chemistry will literally begin to change, your stress will be reduced dramatically, and your immune system will shoot through the roof. Soon you'll be able to get so relaxed that you'll start sensing energy moving throughout your body. With Nei Kung practice you'll be able to manipulate that energy at will.

Then the cool stuff kicks in, which is just where I am now at three consistent years of practice.

Please watch the video below (it's not me) for a pretty good explanation of the most basic posture.

Scholar/Warrior by Deng Ming-Dao, Opening the Energy Gates of the Body by Bruce Frantzis, The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing by Daniel Reid, and the aforementioned 365 Tao by Deng Ming-Dao are all great resources. If your sales manager told you to give a ten minute speech to your co-workers on Chi Kung and Chinese Medicine in a way that they could understand, I'd definitely go with Reid, only because he's a westerner and a really fine writer.

Best of luck.

Oh, Seeker is right. Ya gotta grab the bull by the horns and get the sugar out of the diet (that's another ongoing discussion we're having in here). My guess is you're a red meat eater, which ain't too horrible, but it means that your system is very acidic, like most westerners who eat steak and donuts. So you'll want to alkalize your system by getting on a first name basis with home-brewed green tea.

Oh, lord.... I can't stop.... so much to say....

Well, I am not necessarily less ignorant than you, but I am more confident, so watch out! :lol:

Here's my suggestion:

Step 1: Take it easy! Change nothing.

Step 2: When you have free time, slowly look around. Look around means, read a bit at the library, or browse and buy some books at the local book store or on amazon.com or at other publishers or stores online. If it strikes your fancy, check out meetup.com to see if there are any like-minded people who meet in your area, or ask around on forums, including this one, for references to meetings or teachers, if you're so inclined.

If you do find a teacher, you shouldn't mindlessly believe anything that person says, but instead, you should see if any of it makes sense and if any of it is true to life as you know it. I would suggest to be wary of dogmatically or mindlessly following any teacher, no matter how good or wise you think that teacher is. Last thing you probably want to do is to get caught in some personality cult. Respecting your teacher is a good thing, but following mindlessly or uncritically is very bad. If your teacher demands a lot of respect upfront, run, don't walk, away from that teacher.

Whether or not you find a human teacher, you will always have life as your teacher. So don't worry too much. Just pay attention.

Step 3: If you're up to it, meditate for 3 minutes in the morning, or in the evening, or during lunch time. 3 minutes is good enough to start. By meditate I mean just relax your body to the point of stable and reassuring comfort but avoid relaxing so much that you fall over or have trouble breathing. You can be sitting on a chair, or standing, or even walking at the time. Quiet down your thinking. To quiet down your thinking, you don't need to stop it, but simply give your thoughts less weight in your mind, and otherwise you can allow your thoughts to proceed as usual, or if thoughts slow down to a trickle or even stop for a time, that's OK too. The most important thing is not to control your thoughts, but to be in a relaxed and alert frame of mind, and a strongly controlling attitude can interfere in relaxation. As you quieten down, just pay attention. Be alert. Be awake. Observe. That's pretty much it. Once 3 minutes or even 30 seconds passes, you're done, can you can do things as usual after that.

Some people recommend a stable time to meditate. Others say it doesn't matter. It's better to meditate randomly everyday than to keep promising oneself to meditate in the morning and blowing it every time. So you kind of have to know yourself and work with your temperament.

If you're not up to meditating, just continue learning. Talk to people. Give yourself time to ponder things on your own. It might become clear to you later on what is the best path to take. Most important thing is to avoid the extremes of, on one hand, wasting time and doing nothing, but on the other hand, rushing too fast and making unnecessary errors.

Step 4: Try to be decent to people. You don't have to be an angel, but just try to avoid screwing people over if you can help it. This is especially true at work. If you're in sales, try to avoid tricking people or lying to them. If you can't do your job without bullshitting people, you may want to consider a change of employer or maybe even a change in profession.

In general, try to be awake to life. Pay attention. Be mindful. Try to avoid doing things mindlessly or roboticly. But whatever you do, take it easy and don't burst your vein. So just 4 easy steps.

Edited by goldisheavy

Realize that you are the ultimate authority on matters that pertain to you. What do you think you should do?

'Where shall I begin, please your Majesty?' he asked.

'Begin at the beginning,' the King said gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'

Alice in Wonderland

Realize that you are the ultimate authority on matters that pertain to you. What do you think you should do?

Yea, if you just browse the forum you'll figure out what works best for you.

I quite like reading the Hua Hu Ching

p.s. don't worry about ignorance. If you get into Taoism you will gradually know less and less till you know nothing ;)

Well another option if you have trouble finding Chinese sources (while in transition) is to take some basic yoga classes such as the very inexpensive ones often given at colleges. (such classes are all over the US) Also see if your wife and kids will also try it out, that way it could be a nice shared family experience for all of you!

Have fun!! :)

Btw, there are a great many forms of Christianity... so you do not have to "throw the baby out with the bath water" so to speak. "The Sermon on the Mount" is right on!

A warning: "Eastern" religions like most forms of anything on the planet also have fanatics, so take care.

Good fortune to you.

Om

Oh yes just go ahead and do sum kunlun and kundahlini, thats where to start XP JK JK JK, DON"T DO THAT, lolz.

I think what you should first do is separate theory (study) and practice. Always start simple. You may want to read books like "Taoist Yoga-Alchemy and Immortality" and the classic "Tao te Ching" to get a feel for the terminology and concepts involved. I'm sure others can recommend good texts.

As for practices...Personally I always like to have a general understanding of a practice before I indulge. Also you may want to set a goal and pick your practice based on that goal. For example if you want to learn to heal a practice called "Spring Forest Qigong" is a REALLY powerful, yet simple practice which does that. If you're looking for "union with God" you may want to try some kind of "Enlightenment Qigong" or perhaps some Yoga. Once you define for yourself what you're looking for then it's easier for others to help point you in a general direction.

So for now you may want to read up on Taoist theory and also Buddhist theory as it deserves some recognition. See if some of the concepts spark your fancy. Personally the concept of Immortality is what FIRST drew me to Taoism, it seemed more about actual energy practice and transformation, rather than just talk and theory. If you're looking for "union with God" the only source I've heard that brings that specifically is through something called "Sant Mat" ( http://www.santmat.net ) which isn't taoist in words but I believe is "part of the puzzle", others may disagree, but it's something at least worth looking into. Others will help you along the way.

Also other classics to look into "Opening the Dragon Gate" and The Jade Emperor's Mind Seal Classic". Both will give you SOME insight into stuff. I'm still a n00b myself so listen more to others who have better knowledge, but try to familiarize yourself with concepts and language and also try to refine your interests/goals.

If you wanted a recommendation for a practice to start I'd say Vipassana(insight) meditation. I was just introduced to it not too long ago and it seems like a true "Root" practice to me. Seems to help develop a deeper understanding of your reality. And if you're familiar with the Bible when Solomon prayed to God and asked only for Wisdom, God bestowed upon him Wisdom but also because he asked only for Wisdom God also bestowed upon him riches and honor. Just goes to show when you first seek wisdom, all other things fall into place :)

Alright well thats my own egotistical message stock full of my own beliefs and ideas. Have fun here XD

-Astral

I like Blasto's advice.

One of my favourite aspects of Taoism is that the Taoists systematically developed ways of experiencing God or the divine or Tao in your self. Not reading, thinking, philosophising, writing poetry about it, but directly experiencing the divine in your body...

As this happens - as you are 'spiritualised' from the body out, every effortless action will become infinitely satisfying.

Pick a system that interests you and begin enjoying your practices. (It's important to practice for the joy of practising and not for the achievement of some distant goal - in contrast to most approaches to sales I guess).

There is not much in the way of resources locally that I have been able to find. i.e. i cant find much in the way of Tai Chi classes, or TCM etc etc locally...much less a Toaist master to teach me. (believe it or not Omaha is not the bastion of ancient Chinese Wisdom that you might think it is....)

Any insights, direction, online courses, books, etc etc etc etc etc.

Thank you...and I apologize for my ignorance.

There are some things going on in Omaha. Ya gotta google.

Without spending more than 5 minutes i found

A taoism meet up group, accupuncture and chinese medicine,

Omaha tai Chi association - Yang and Chen tai chi, Pilates Yoga and fitness classes,

Vedic yoga association + much more

Maybe I'll move to Omaha :)

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Thanks for all the advice.

last night I picked up from the book store Tao Essentials (or something to that affect...I have not read in it yet). I saw the 365 days book. a couple others that I saw were

Tao of Abundence

Scholar Warrior

Tao of Inner Peace

Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing

Tao of Health, Sex, and longevity

I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 of those. I also have to say I grabbed the idiots guide to Taoism...lol.

I cant find Tao of Pooh around here so far. Sounds like Scholar Warrior and Complete Book of...and the 365 are the most recommended? I will check the book store again and see what else I can find.

As for diet...no soda...you guys suck! Mt. Dew is my friend. Ok...done venting.

I am a meat eater...but not a ton of red meat. Boneless Skinless chicken breast is prob the thing I eat the most. I eat very little ground beef. I use beef in stir fry and fajitas. I eat pork some. I eat almost no fish, and vegetables are usually corn, green beans or salad. I know what I should do...but doing it is not as easy...hahaha.

Thanks for everything...I will keep reading and lurking

The good thing about this forum is that there is so much FREE information.

You don't need to go out and buy a load of books.

As others have said, check out my 365 Tao thread. I believe it to be the ultimate in layman's Tao, and very applicable to modern life. Take some time and browse through the whole forum and pick which topics take your fancy.

There are also lots of online translations of the TTC.

Something I would also suggest is to try and find some solitary time to either meditate or to just sit and observe nature.

Look up at the sky on a clear night and marvel at how the same force that runs through your body and keeps you alive, is responsible for the continuos movement of the cosmos. It truly is a wonderfully humbling experience.

Good luck.

Something I would also suggest is to try and find some solitary time to either meditate or to just sit and observe nature.

Look up at the sky on a clear night and marvel at how the same force that runs through your body and keeps you alive, is responsible for the continuos movement of the cosmos. It truly is a wonderfully humbling experience.

Good luck.

I will do that. Since I do live on an acreage with no neighbors that I can see and no lights to screw up my view of the sky.

I will do that. Since I do live on an acreage with no neighbors that I can see and no lights to screw up my view of the sky.

No light pollution ? Awesome. You'll be able to see thousands of stars with the naked eye.

yeah, my place is pretty awesome.

We do see all kinds of starts.

in the winter we feed the birds, and there are 3 pairs of cardinals around. There is a hawk that lives in an old cottonwood tree on my property, and a few weeks ago we saw two little fox (foxes?) playing. There are trees blocking by view form either of the two nearest neighbors, and a little pond on one side of my property. Add that to my horses, and dogs...we have a pretty good life.

in the winter we feed the birds, and there are 3 pairs of cardinals around. There is a hawk that lives in an old cottonwood tree on my property, and a few weeks ago we saw two little fox (foxes?) playing. There are trees blocking by view form either of the two nearest neighbors, and a little pond on one side of my property. Add that to my horses, and dogs...we have a pretty good life.

Then you have a head start over most people who come to Tao.

Follow your natural instincts and the advice of some good folks on the forum and you'll be fine.

All the more reason to pick up ""Scholar/Warrior." The chapter on the historical context of ancient Taoist communities is very inspiring. These folks dug deep roots into their villages and refined independence and self-sufficiency into artforms. With your resources at hand you will only find greater opportunities to bring a pragmatice Taoist ethic into your life on all levels.]

There's a sub-thread in here dealing with post-oil, post-industrial, post-econ crash issues, along with the various skillsets necessary. Sounds like you're well-positioned to make critical choices when SHTF!!

Sign in to follow this