idquest

Move to Outer Space or Face Extinction

You're confusing me with the renowned planetary ecologist James Lovelock, who made his prognosis in "Revenge of Gaia."

I understand. People regularly confuse me with celebrities, heads of state, scientists, and Taoist sages.

Well you dont have to be a top scientist to figure that out :lol: You just have to be a top scientist to get peoples attention over it.

As an example (don't actually try it for the sake of bunnies) imagine you have a patch of grass 10m by 10m with 2 bunnies, they will then multiply to like 6 bunnies, then to 18 to 64 to A LOT. And you well if your 3rd eye is good enough to picture this, you'll realize your 10m by 10m patch of grass wont be good enough to feed all... not just that but all grass will be eaten and unable to grow back in time to actually feed even 1 bunny. All will die.

Don't know about how long or close we are to limits on the earth really, since distribution of wealth probably kills more than lack of wealth on our planet. But if population keeps growing eventually some will have to move.

Well they would have to move IF IT WEREN'T FOR 2012 SUPER AWESOME KUNDALINI 4th EYE DIMENSIONAL ANGELIC HEAVEN JUMP SHIFT WARP! Can't wait! :wub:

Well, take a look at the global events of this summer..."worst ever" floods in Pakistan, leaving at least 2 million people homeless, and severely affecting 13 million, catastrophic rains in China leading to a massive mudslide, floods in eastern Europe, massive forest and peat fires in russia of Biblical type proportions befoul he air in Moscow and the Western part of the country...those are just the biggest events of the past few weeks. The US economy is fighting massive unemployment and the recovery is just not happening, while the government is in gridlock about what to do...this is just off the top of my head, there's more...

2012 will simply be a coincidence with the predictions of the end of time, but it is likely to be the end of life as we know it, as these trends toward chaos accelerate and the world is pitched into worldwide economic catastrophe, leading to "theEnd of Life as We Know It".

:) Have a nice day! :)

Hey RV,

That was very cool. And totally coincidental as I was going to post a tune from them on my music thread (because I can).

Still. I'd rather die here on my beloved Earth than get cooped up in in floating can or on a crap planet with all the real-estate agents and hairdressers and folks with enough ca$h to fly MsSpace 2.0

Currently, my friends. No one is going anywhere...

So what gets me is that everyone is behaving as if they were...

Currently, my friends. No one is going anywhere...

So what gets me is that everyone is behaving as if they were...

Aye, and what does that tell ye, pray tell??

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

"The meek shall inherit the earth".

After the Earth takes the next great step in her evolution, (or vibration)

only souls with a close enough vibration to her will be able to incarnate here...

the rest (so to speak) will have to somehow balance their karmas or be spun out

to other, and more difficult realms.

What a load of crap. Why not reform our capitalistic consumer orientated society instead? To colonize space en-masse is just as difficult as the latter.

More like "if we dont blow ourselves up in the next century" - you're getting paranoid in your old age, Stephen!

thatguy...that analogy is a titanic stretch if you're trying to correlate that to reality...

How so? It seems pretty obvious that if you keep multiplying the inhabitants of the planet, eventually there wont be enough for everyone. Its quite simple, when will we be at the limit for Earth? I dont know

It seems pretty obvious that if you keep multiplying the inhabitants of the planet, eventually there wont be enough for everyone. Its quite simple, when will we be at the limit for Earth? I dont know

I do agree with you on this. If the trend of current population growth continues there will be serious problem ahead. Right now there is enough food being produced to feed everyone but still there are many people starving and dying from malnutrition.

Yes, there are limits to how many people the earth can support. There have been estimates by people who are supposed to be knowledgeable of this subject.

What will be the result of more people, maybe billions, not having enough? Not something pleasant to think about.

Peace & Love!

Why do you fear extiction for? You spirit will find another place to continue its samsaric cycle. :)

From Gerard O'Neill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_K._O'Neill) - via Robert Anton Wilson in my case:

"Is the surface of a planet really the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"

RAW suggested that as soon as you ask the question the answer is obvious. It's not a bad thing.

Cheers

Rob

The humans and the Earth will do just dandy, at least for the next couple of thousand years or so. No worries here.

Worse case scenario:

two planets are passing by one another, and say their hello's:

- i haven't seen you for quite some time, you are looking gorgeous!..

- thank you, how are you doing?

- could have been better... i suffer from an acute human-itis

- don't worry, it's the season, will pass quickly!

- ok, cherrios! see you the next loop around!

The humans and the Earth will do just dandy, at least for the next couple of thousand years or so. No worries here.

Worse case scenario:

two planets are passing by one another, and say their hello's:

- i haven't seen you for quite some time, you are looking gorgeous!..

- thank you, how are you doing?

- could have been better... i suffer from an acute human-itis

- don't worry, it's the season, will pass quickly!

- ok, cherrios! see you the next loop around!

That's about it.

Evolution is a funny thing.

Peace & Love!

The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

he said threats to the existence of the human race such as war, resource depletion and overpopulation meant it was at its greater risk ever.

Um, so overpopulation is driving us to extinction?

Uhhmm, I guess this is not supposed to be a self-contradictory logical fallacy just because some name brand physicist said it? :lol:

But even if it were true - wouldn't the more responsible solution be to reduce our population here - rather than infect even more areas out in space?

Edited by vortex

But even if it were true - wouldn't the more responsible solution be to reduce our population here - rather than infect even more areas out in space?

Now you are talking real solutions.

Regretfully I don't see that happening in the near future. But I'm still optimistic.

Peace & Love!

I see that this conversation is based mostly on population and resources, and I identify/understand. However, astronomically, isnt an arm of the Andromeda galaxy supposed to sweep through our area in 15,000 years? Thats the same timeframe as from the caveman to now (more or less) and that is how much time we have to figure out how to live off-planet.

More doom and gloom, fire and brimstone? Story of civilization. Your forefathers heard it from the old priests of the temple...now we hear it from the "expert" in the white lab coat. Live in the now.

Edited by The Observer

More doom and gloom, fire and brimstone? Story of civilization. Your forefathers heard it from the old priests of the temple...now we hear it from the "expert" in the white lab coat. Live in the now.

Well, I think it's become fashionable to appeal to the failed prophecies and superstitions of the past and conclude that ascertainable facts about resource depletion and human behavior are beyond our grasp. The only way to remain so cavalier in the midst of our contemporary global realities is to expel basic ecological and sociological facts from your mental universe.

Maybe the observer should make some observations? ;)