Mattimo

What is Tai-Chi?

I want to know what people think, know or perceive Tai-Chi to be. Can one summarize it in a sentence? How about in a word? Is it mystical? Or is it simply bio-mechanics?

Let's philosophize :D

There are many members here who can give a much better answer than I am about to present but I will speak my few words.

Tai Chi is a practice of entertwining the body and mind with the energies of the universe. It is a means for allowing our body and mind to find its true natural flow and movements.

I am now out of words at the moment.

Peace & Love!

How about in a word?

Martial art.

Okay, that was two words. :P

Edited by adept

I want to know what people think, know or perceive Tai-Chi to be. Can one summarize it in a sentence? How about in a word? Is it mystical? Or is it simply bio-mechanics?

I'm going to use pin yin spelling and assume that you are asking about Tai Ji Quan, not just Tai Ji. First, I'll define Tai Ji as the principle of balance and mutual interdepence in Daoist cosmology.

My attempt at a concise definition of Tai Ji Quan:

Tai Ji Quan is a martial art based on applying fundamental principles of Daoist cosmology, Tai Ji, to combat. The Tai Ji Quan forms are often mistakenly equated with Tai Ji Quan but comprise one small facet of Tai Ji Quan training and have been effectively adopted by many as Qi Gong methods for health and fitness.

Is it mystical? Hell yes

Is it simply bio-mechanics? Absolutely

In a word? Natural

Edited by steve f

To simply say that tai chi is a martial art would be really stripping it of it's real value.

When the topic of tai chi arrises you have 2 seperate schools of though.

1. It's a basic health building exercise, nothing more.

2. It's an internal, chi building, way of life.

I train with school number 2. Tai chi is moving meditation. Flowing through the Tao you build chi and release blockages. After establishing a good base you then move onto chi conversion. Pushing chi into your marrow ramps up your chi to jing. The basic theory goes flow, grow, condense, enlighten. The problem arrises when you either 1) stop practicing 2) mix in other practices or 3) you just dont do it enough.

Tai Chi isnt a martial art. It's a way of life. It's a way to reunite with the Tao.

• Like 2

In a word? Chinese.:lol:

Marblehead, I liked your description very much.

Steve f, form/vs. application, martial vs/non-martial, etc., are beginner's distinctions (so if anyone's teacher makes these distinctions, he or she is a beginner... often a long-term beginner). In the depth of taijiquan, way down the road... provided you haven't taken a wrong turn from the start... so I'm told... a fight is a form of meditation, spirituality is a form of battle, the form embodies the formless and the formless organizes itself into the form. I very much agree with you though that "biomechanical" and "mystical" are not a dichotomy at all.:)

To simply say that tai chi is a martial art would be really stripping it of it's real value.

When the topic of tai chi arrises you have 2 seperate schools of though.

1. It's a basic health building exercise, nothing more.

2. It's an internal, chi building, way of life.

I train with school number 2. Tai chi is moving meditation. Flowing through the Tao you build chi and release blockages. After establishing a good base you then move onto chi conversion. Pushing chi into your marrow ramps up your chi to jing. The basic theory goes flow, grow, condense, enlighten. The problem arrises when you either 1) stop practicing 2) mix in other practices or 3) you just dont do it enough.

Tai Chi isnt a martial art. It's a way of life. It's a way to reunite with the Tao.

Tai-Chi is not Tai Chi Chuan. Even Wikipedia makes that distinction.

When we summarize Tai Chi Chuan by stating that it is a "martial art" we are asserting that the Tai Chi qualification is not significant. That it is just a meaningless marketing message, like sun-dried tomatoes or applewood smoked bacon.

Are you doing Iron Shirt practises or does this come naturally?

Rampin up was probably a poor choice in wording because it is quite literally condensing your chi into your bones until it turns into a higher vibrational enery-jing.

I dont practice Iron Shirt. The way we describe it is Gold Bell training and the energy is something that's naturally occuring when you train with condensing BUT that doesnt necessarilly mean you'll be able to use it as such. There is additional training that must be done unless you just keep condensing and condensing and condensing because after a time, your jing ( from earlier ) will increase in vibration and become something entirely different. At that point Gold Bell is pointless.

• Like 1

Very nice :)

I cant say I wouldnt like to go because the lifestyle there is awesome but then again I'm not familiar with Chen Style.

I want to know what people think, know or perceive Tai-Chi to be. Can one summarize it in a sentence? How about in a word?

Fun.

While "Tai-Chi" can range from just trying to follow along with the Beijing 24 to a lifelong lifestyle commitment. Tai Chi has always meant fun for me. Regardless of what aspect I'm trying to develop, there is just something about the practice that is intrinsically enjoyable.

One Word? Observer - Graceful

Begining Practitioner- Deceptive

Advanced Practitioner- Flow

Edited by Kameel

Tai Chi or Taiji (as it should be) is:

The expression of Yin and Yang between Heaven and Earth.

Wuji -> Taiji -> Wuji

Another way to look at tai chi is that there are several levels of practice.

First, over weeks to months, you learn the bio-mechanics of the form. This is good mainly as a physical exercise.

Second, months to years later, you learn how to move interior energy (Qi) while doing the forms. This is physically healthy and starting to get mystical in nature.

Third, years to decades later, you learn how to let the energy move you. In this case "energy" can be interpreted as the Dao. This is mostly mystical, but is also ultimately healing in a Medicine Buddha sort of way. At this level, the tai chi martial artist knows that there is "no fight" because there is "no other." It is just a dance with various facets of oneself. And yes, some facets aren't very pretty. I guess that's part of the mystery for us mortals to philosophize about.

I'm 23, and Tai Chi Quan was the most relaxing one thing I have every practiced within my entire life.

Drool.... Lol, How does it do it? I dunno! But it was cheap, I can continue to practice on my own and it is "again" soo rela :D xing.

There are many members here who can give a much better answer than I am about to present but I will speak my few words.

Tai Chi is a practice of entertwining the body and mind with the energies of the universe. It is a means for allowing our body and mind to find its true natural flow and movements.

I am now out of words at the moment.

Peace & Love!

Marblehead the poet.

Beautifully said... and illuminating to my mind!

Peace!

• Like 1

tajiquan in and of itself awakens you to the magnetic reality of existance itself.

tajiquan is another part of the alchemy. You move because the universe moves it is the unification of movement and stillness thus taichi. It does what stillness meditation could not due alone.

all of your neikung and chi training comes together in the taji form itself.

Taichiquan expands your shen.

Taichiquan is the gateway into the tao. When i practice my form with just a thought i can increase my inner feeling and i can see a network start to form that connects to everything. The deeper i go into my form the more clearly i can see this network. In time you will be able to see this network by just thinking of the feeling but only taichiquan can take you further into it.

Edited by electric gravity
  • Like 1

Tai chi is many things.

Biomechanically, it is an application of judicious and gentle force and relaxation, a wonderful interplay between push and pull, and a dynamic exercise in balance and positioning. The stretch and release of fascial tissues, musculature, and our own perceptions allow one to flow in and out of graceful movements, all the while generating positive effects on our various tissues, as well as massive ability to move people and objects, based on the tension various motions incidentally incur.

Spiritually, it is an application of patience and practice toward the end of balancing our mind and spirit with our physical body and external surroundings. It generates chi, but it also generates stillness inside.

It is a coaction of opposites, complementing and completing each other, on many levels...

In a word:

Harmony