Sign in to follow this  
voidisyinyang

26.7% of U.S. are obese

In other countries (Europe and Asia especially based on my experience and what I've heard from others) you don't always see this as much due to more healthier, locally grown food .

The cities are also less car reliant, and have more public transportation and pedestrian areas. People HAVE to walk more to get around.

I saw very few obese people under the age of 40 during my stay in Russia. According to the people I stayed with, there actually aren't that many gyms either. I also didn't see ANYONE jogging, even when visiting a large park.

Edited by Enishi

In other countries you don't always see this as much due to more healthier, locally grown food.

The cities are also less car reliant, and have more public transportation and pedestrian areas. People HAVE to walk more to get around.

I saw very few obese people under the age of 40 in Russia. According to the people I stayed with, there actually aren't that many gyms either. I also didn't see ANYONE jogging, even when visiting a large park.

Well you guys just don't have Shrek? I mean Shrek is promoting about 25 various junk food products.... kids love Shrek! That's from the documentary.... It's pretty amazing -- all the candy and pop machines in the public schools! So twisted. I gave a talk at my sister's high school about this problem but I was arguing against the corporate Pepsi subsidizing the military regime in Burma. And then the U.S. government works with the U.S. Ad Council to make a public service announcement having Shrek promote 1 hour of exercise a day!! Yeah to work off ONE Snickers candy bar promoted by Shrek I think that's something like 6 laps running around a football field.

The US Surgeon General was CENSORED so he couldn't talk about obesity!! Dr. Carmona -- he says 2 out of 3 Americans are overweight or obese. 61% of active U.S. military are overweight. $71 Billion a year is the cost of obesity in the U.S.

Yeah that doc is a few years old -- now there's the "Farm to School" initiative in the U.S. which is making the school lunches a bit better:

http://www.farmtoschool.org/

Edited by drewhempel

http://www.disinfo.com/2010/08/the-fattest-states-in-the-nation/

Here's their documentary on American obesity -- "Killer at Large"

http://www.zshare.net/video/65661713fe0e387e/

How dare you even bring up this subject. You've created an unprecedented risk for a slippery slope. The moment you begin to even question the wisdom of impugning American culture, the most privileged in human history, you invite criticisms that could disrupt the entire natural order. It is our birthright to consume resources above and beyond our survival needs at the expense of other cultures for it is only by sheer priviledge, comfort and natural advantage that we acquire the elbow room to give birth to loftier ambitions. Sure, a few forests get scorched off the face of the earth, but you can't build mountains without a few volcanoes.

I trust you will be more restrained in your unfounded criticisms in the future and practice the obedience that is expected of you.

How dare you even bring up this subject. You've created an unprecedented risk for a slippery slope. The moment you begin to even question the wisdom of impugning American culture, the most privileged in human history, you invite criticisms that could disrupt the entire natural order. It is our birthright to consume resources above and beyond our survival needs at the expense of other cultures for it is only by sheer priviledge, comfort and natural advantage that we acquire the elbow room to give birth to loftier ambitions. Sure, a few forests get scorched off the face of the earth, but you can't build mountains without a few volcanoes.

I trust you will be more restrained in your unfounded criticisms in the future and practice the obedience that is expected of you.

Let's not forget the U.S. special forces training and supporting the genocide in Rwanda.... oops! Wayne Madsen did the expose on that one...

But this is the best expose on the obesity epidemic -- how corn syrup and even sugar which is half fructose is a total poison -- you get all the nitty gritty science details:

Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin. Series: UCSF Mini Medical School for the Public [7/2009] [Health and Medicine] [show ID: 16717]

It's in everything -- bread, peanut butter. Fruit juice is just as bad in terms of the sugar...

I call corn syrup "crack for kids." But hey I'm a crackhead for corn syrup! haha. Lustig again -- I guess he goes off on someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lR-iZcONVc&feature=related

The American Heart Association now recommends that you keep added sugars to less than 5% of your calorie intake. That's about 25 grams or 6 teaspoons per day for an average-sized adult.

Yeah I read that sugar should be only 14 grams a day which equals about 5 plums....

Here Dr. Lustig emphasizes sugar -- not carb restriction.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/2112/dr-robert-lustig-episode/

More on the vagus nerve connection to sugar -- I gotta hear this!!

Edited by drewhempel

Oh JFC, it gets even better!! Have you heard about Coca-Cola's new problems with VitaminWater? They're being sued because they spend millions on an ad campaign touting the health benefits of the product, and now in court, the nutritive properties of VitaminWater have actually changed. They now argue that the suit should be thrown.

"At oral argument defendants suggested that no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage or was composed only of vitamins and water because the sweet taste of vitaminwater puts consumers on notice that the product contains sugar."

In other words, Coca-Cola's lawyers told the court vitaminwater drinkers are stupid if they actually believe Coca-Cola's health claims about vitaminwater.

Full article here

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2010/08/05/vitaminwater-is-healthy-except-in-court

Oh JFC, it gets even better!! Have you heard about Coca-Cola's new problems with VitaminWater? They're being sued because they spend millions on an ad campaign touting the health benefits of the product, and now in court, the nutritive properties of VitaminWater have actually changed. They now argue that the suit should be thrown.

"At oral argument defendants suggested that no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage or was composed only of vitamins and water because the sweet taste of vitaminwater puts consumers on notice that the product contains sugar."

In other words, Coca-Cola's lawyers told the court vitaminwater drinkers are stupid if they actually believe Coca-Cola's health claims about vitaminwater.

Full article here

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2010/08/05/vitaminwater-is-healthy-except-in-court

That's twisted -- I did this amazing expose on Coca-Cola to get a boycott against their vending machine contract at the University of Minnesota. Then the students from India took up the campaign a few years later - why? Coca Cola is destroying the water supply in India -- Coca cola should be banned from selling "bottled" water:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/asia/july-dec08/waterwars_11-17.html

And in a proactive move, more than 7,000 people, mostly women, turned out to protest a proposed Coca-Cola factory in Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu. Residents are justifiably worried that Coca Cola's operations in the area would lead to scarcity of water and contamination of water. We carry an article from Frontline.

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=7508

Dr. Lustig says he's an "obesitologist!!"

On February 25 a complaint was filed in the New York Supreme Court against the The Coca-Cola Company alleging that they knew about and sought to cover up human rights abuses in Guatemala. While that trial gets started, the company's controversial practices in India continue involving the over-exploitation of limited water resources and the contamination of groundwater supplies.

http://scienceblogs.com/primatediaries/2010/03/coca-cola_in_india_good_till_t.php

"over-insulinized".... another Dr. Lustig term.

Edited by drewhempel

Yeah so basically with corn syrup and fructose there is no activation of the hormone leptin and insulin BLOCKS the leptin signal. So the being "over-insulinized" from fructose causes the glucose to be stored as fat but ALSO causes increased appetite -- so you're on a positive feedback cycle that causes both increased hunger, and decreased physical exercise -- because your brain thinks you're starving even though you're getting fat!!

Then fructose POISONS the mitochondria!!

This is just like Madeline L'engle's first book in her trilogy where the secret of the world's problem was a destruction of the mitochondria.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/dr-robert-lustig-from-sugar-the-bitter-truth-explains-why-he-doesnt-believe-in-the-low-carb-lifestyle/8164

Edited by drewhempel

ROTFLMAO that's priceless :) Can't they go back to making it with cocane and kola?

(Children's food advertising disgusts me. "Part of a healthy diet" is the one you hear a lot here (unfortunately without the bolds)

In other countries you don't always see this as much due to more healthier, locally grown food.

I saw very few obese people under the age of 40 in Russia. According to the people I stayed with, there actually aren't that many gyms either. I also didn't see ANYONE jogging, even when visiting a large park.

Russia is one of the most toxic places in the world, what are you talking about?

drew, then this should make sense too?

Have you seen General Mills' new cereal ad? o_O

Wow those are great finds! thanks. Yeah one of my friends from my neighborhood and high school -- he edits t.v. ads for the big Fortune 500 companies in Minneapolis -- which includes General Mills. I saw one of his food ads online....

It's really twisted but advertising is 100% tax deductible which means all those slick ads are paid by the public (since it's just less tax base in the projected government budget)....

Yeah and then the American Beverage Association successfully stops any tax on corn syrup drinks!!

Minnesota has Cargill as well which is this evil beast -- the largest private company in the world next to Koch oil refinery.... Cargill gets huge tax subsidizes and then Cargill destroys local farm food around the world -- in 100 countries -- by dumping U.S. grain at around 1/9 the local prices, so the local farmers are driven out of business. Then those countries are made dependent on U.S. grain -- and voila! You got yourself an empire -- any profits made from the donated Cargill grain are often required to buy U.S. weapons!! Food for guns!! Cargill is destroying the Amazon by having huge soy elevators -- saying we'll buy as much as you grow! Cargill is destroying the orangutan habitat in Indonesia and Malaysia by doing the same with palm oil. Cargill relies on children slavery in West Africa to buy cheap chocolate for the U.S....

Hey this 11 minute video is a great "cliff notes" summary of Dr. Robert Lustig's 1 1/2 hr lecture....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXCvduiAbs&feature=player_embedded

Edited by drewhempel

Russia is one of the most toxic places in the world, what are you talking about?

In terms of the locally grown food I was referring to other countries in general.

Russia does have a lot of problems with pollution but the aforementioned public transportation combined with greater amounts of walking does curb obesity when compared to the US.

Edited by Enishi

In terms of the locally grown food I was referring to other countries in general.

Russia does have a lot of problems with pollution but the aforementioned public transportation combined with greater amounts of walking does curb obesity when compared to the US.

No doubt -- I got Dr. Lustig in this podcast interview with Sean Croxton

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/undergroundwellness/2010/05/14/the-bitter-truth-about-sugar-and-fructose

Dr. Lustig goes into the Coca Cola Conspiracy (hiding high salt with high sugar) -- double whammy addiction because salt makes you thirsty!!

Dr. Lustig then says how the food industry is literally making a killing on corn syrup fructose -- HUGE profits since it's legal addiction.

If you dosed your food with morphine -- could you choose to quit? Dr. Lustig asks.....

Now he's going into the Corn Refinery Association actually going to the medical conferences to promote corn syrup!

Edited by drewhempel

People believe that if they have a 'higher' life in a 'higher' culture, they will be more happy.

Happiness doesn't show on X-ray.

The obesity problem is a sign that those countries have TOO much.

An average meal of an obese family would feed a third world country family for a couple of days, and in some cases, weeks.

Karma...

Edited by Little1

People believe that if they have a 'higher' life in a 'higher' culture, they will be more happy.

Happiness doesn't show on X-ray.

The obesity problem is a sign that those countries have TOO much.

An average meal of an obese family would feed a third world country family for a couple of days, and in some cases, weeks.

Karma...

Right -- I'm just now watching this amazing documentary on child slavery -- a boy in Ghana was just bought by a fisherman for $25 which is 2 months salary for a teacher....

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/child-slavery-with-rageh-omaar/

Yet corn syrup fructose is very deceptive -- it actually causes STARVATION!! Why? Because the fructose doesn't get processed for the body -- but instead goes the liver and gets turned into fat. Yet at the same fructose "reduces leptin production" so that the body is STILL HUNGRY -- which it is since it didn't get to use the calories for the muscles.... http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/5

Both fat and fructose consumption usually results in low leptin concentrations which, in turn, leads to overeating in populations consuming energy from these particular macronutrients. An adipocyte hormone, adiponectin, also plays an important role in lipid homeostasis and insulin action [61]. The insulin sensitizer agonist, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma, stimulates adiponectin production and adiponectin is in fact thought to be part of this agonist's mechanism lowering circulating fatty acids and increasing fat oxidation. The net effect is to decrease liver TG and increase insulin sensitivity [62]. Chronic fructose consumption reduces adiponectin responses, contributing to insulin resistance [63].
Edited by drewhempel

I've spent hundreds of hours studying nutrition and it really boils down to 2 things.

1-refined carbs (cereals,pasta,bread,sugar,flour)for obesity,auto-immune,diabetes,eczema,gout and other metabolic diseases of civilization

2- "vegetable" oil (canola,peanut,corn,cottonseed,sunflower,safflower) for heart disease,stroke and inflammatory conditions. these were actually used for paints before then of WW2 when they decided they could feed them to people for great profits after demonizing butter(lower profit margin on butter)

pesticides and sickly factory animals aren't helping either.

Conventional big AG is all based on industry of war and oil refining by-products...petro chemical nitrates for bombs became ferts and mustard gas ect became pesticide.

Then what they have left over after that goes into your shampoo,detergents and household products as well as food dye and cosmetics.

www.localharvest.org

Food really isn't the culprit behind the obesity rate, it's just lack of exercise. If you want to argue about health and how HFCS is poison or whatever, that's another subject.

Food really isn't the culprit behind the obesity rate, it's just lack of exercise. If you want to argue about health and how HFCS is poison or whatever, that's another subject.

HFCS is the secret reason for the obesity epidemic -- and it's actually quite fascinating. So HFCS doesn't activate the leptin so you're still hungry and then HFCS gets turned straight into fat so your body does get the nutrition for the muscles and you're starving.

HFCS was promoted as a safe source of glucose for diabetics because HFCS doesn't increase insulin like glucose -- but HFCS goes straight to the liver, turns into fat and then the fat does activate the insulin. So HFCS is the secret reason for the diabetes epidemic.

HFCS also increases the uric acid, thereby causing hypertension -- so HFCS is the secret reason for the high blood pressure epidemic.

HFCS also increases heart disease from the bad fat spikes.

HFCS is in almost all processed food -- or there's refined sugar which is also half fructose -- but HFCS is cheaper so the amount of sugar added as HFCS has vastly increased since the 1970s.

HFCS truly is the "crack" of synthetic food additives -- you're right Mantis -- it can't be called food as HFCS kills the mitochondria and is carcinogenic. It's poison -- and addictive.

Time to watch SICKO -- the Michael Moore documentary on healthcare in the U.S.

http://freedocumentaries.org/teatro.php?filmID=133&lan=en&size=big

Edited by drewhempel

HFCS is the secret reason for the obesity epidemic -- and it's actually quite fascinating. So HFCS doesn't activate the leptin so you're still hungry and then HFCS gets turned straight into fat so your body does get the nutrition for the muscles and you're starving.

HFCS was promoted as a safe source of glucose for diabetics because HFCS doesn't increase insulin like glucose -- but HFCS goes straight to the liver, turns into fat and then the fat does activate the insulin. So HFCS is the secret reason for the diabetes epidemic.

HFCS also increases the uric acid, thereby causing hypertension -- so HFCS is the secret reason for the high blood pressure epidemic.

HFCS also increases heart disease from the bad fat spikes.

HFCS is in almost all processed food -- or there's refined sugar which is also half fructose -- but HFCS is cheaper so the amount of sugar added as HFCS has vastly increased since the 1970s.

HFCS truly is the "crack" of synthetic food additives -- you're right Mantis -- it can't be called food as HFCS kills the mitochondria and is carcinogenic. It's poison -- and addictive.

Time to watch SICKO -- the Michael Moore documentary on healthcare in the U.S.

http://freedocumentaries.org/teatro.php?filmID=133&lan=en&size=big

Really? So what about the other 73.3% of the US population? HFCS is in everything so why isn't everyone fat?

Really? So what about the other 73.3% of the US population? HFCS is in everything so why isn't everyone fat?

Yeah this thread is kind of long -- so I'll just repost what I posted already near the beginning:

The US Surgeon General was CENSORED so he couldn't talk about obesity!! Dr. Carmona -- he says 2 out of 3 Americans are overweight or obese.

That's from the documentary on obesity in the U.S. I posted.

http://www.zshare.net/video/65661713fe0e387e/

Killer At Large!

It's a great documentary -- only an hour I think.

I'm half way through Michael Moore's SICKO -- which is 2 hours long -- excellent documentary! He goes to Canada, Great Britain, and France so far.

Anyway so 66% of people in the U.S. are FAT -- either obese or overweight.

So that leaves 33.3% instead of 73.3% which is more than twice as many people not fat.

1/3 of people in the U.S. are not fat. Congratulations if that includes you! haha.

Mantis -- again the secret to HFCS, as Dr. Lustig explains, is that biochemistry controls physical behavior!!

So if you're on HFCS which about everyone is -- if you do the typical U.S. amount of HFCS -- then the brain doesn't get the leptin activated and so the body thinks it's continually hungry, causing people to be fat. Also since the HFCS just turns into fat then the body is starved of nutrition -- and so the body doesn't feel like exercising.

So yes if a person exercises a lot then they can drink gatorade without worrying about getting a huge dose of HFCS -- but if a person isn't already way into exercise then their brain chemistry, due to the lack of leptin, will cause the person to be more and more hungry from the HFCS -- and from the increased fat and decreased nutrients the person will be increasingly tired, therefore will exercise less and less.

The result: Way over 50% of people in the U.S. are fat -- two thirds are fat.

That's why HFCS is so fascinating -- because it destroys the "calories in, calories out" linear analysis which people assume about food and exercise, etc.

HFCS is a NON-LINEAR positive feedback synthetic additive -- a positive feedback cycle that gets worse and worse leading to the diabetes epidemic, the high blood pressure epidemic, the heart disease epidemic, and the cancer epidemic!!

1-refined carbs (cereals,pasta,bread,sugar,flour)

Agreed (and just look at what siste on top of our "Food piramid" :rolleyes:)

Interested in any opinions on brown rice. Personally I feel white rice fits into the "bad" refined carbs category, but not really sure if that would extend to include unprocessed rice. At worst it's probably a healthier option.

I cook my own meals when I have time to try and get healthier food than what is commercially prepared. But I use a lot of pre-made sauces and packet flavorings in stews and stir fries (basically because it's quick and cheap) so may not be getting the best benefits.....

Basically, mal, it's time to become a breatharian. :lol:

:D could be a good short term answer. Long term I guess I need to invest in some spices and make it through the experimental food phase.

re: Hospital food, we use to be in the basement right beside the kitchen (and the morgue) Hospital catering always struck me as a particularity thankless job. The patients are sick, hence being in hospital, so most of them don't eat much. Those that want to eat, well the food is mass produce to a budget, so it's not particularity tasty. So the kitchen staff spend their time making food, delivering and collecting it, and then basically throwing most of it out :(

Agreed (and just look at what siste on top of our "Food piramid" :rolleyes:)

Interested in any opinions on brown rice. Personally I feel white rice fits into the "bad" refined carbs category, but not really sure if that would extend to include unprocessed rice. At worst it's probably a healthier option.

I cook my own meals when I have time to try and get healthier food than what is commercially prepared. But I use a lot of pre-made sauces and packet flavorings in stews and stir fries (basically because it's quick and cheap) so may not be getting the best benefits.....

Dr. Robert Lustig points out the food pyramid put out by the USDA is directly controlled by the food industry. I had no idea there was a new "set" of food pyramids -- 12 of them -- as revealed in that documentary on obesity in the U.S.....

And, of course, nutrition is not a patented drug so there's no incentive for doctors to plug it. Sure drugs work wonders but wrong prescriptions are the 3 leading cause of death in the U.S. Meanwhile nothing like fresh garlic as the miracle anti-viral, anti-biotic, along with great energizer. Of course you need a ton of fresh greens to go with it.

There's a lot of monks in Thailand and Burma, etc. with constipation from eating too much white rice -- plus they're not sitting in full lotus!

Master Suma Chinghai promotes brown rice but she also promotes being breatharian.

Because of my third eye situation I have no choice but to be on an ascetic diet -- the modified bigu diet -- but for me to do that I also would have to meditate all the time. Unfortunately the culture I live in doesn't promote meditation nor understand it. I like the jing energy I get from food but it's an impure source of jing energy. haha.

Sign in to follow this