Owledge

Ridcule of energy practice

While doing standing and sitting energy practices in the park, it now has occured many times that people who see it will react in a way that I can only colloquially describe as lame: They will act in the usual ignorant ridiculing manner and laugh and say "Om!".

I guess this shows the massive influence of mass media (style of depiction in movies for example). But of course the ridicule of what one does not understand is a universal behavior. I just found it interesting how uniformous the reactions are.

Also telling is that especially children and teenagers - while sometimes at first acting a bit like I mentioned above - will often come to me and directly ask me about what I'm doing. I see this as the adult world not yet having influenced them so much with that kind of distance to other human beings, suppression of curiosity and ignorance.

I guess in the east this phenomenon of ridiculing energy practices is almost non-existent, right? Assuming that this theme is deeply ingrained in eastern culture. (I'm sure they have other things to ridicule.) Or did you ever experience similar reactions in Asia - perhaps by people that might be very western-oriented?

How about your experiences in other countries, including western ones? Any difference there? I'm curious about reports of all kinds concerning the abovementioned situation.

Edited by Hardyg

IME people are far less bold about ridiculing a group of people, than a solitary individual.

Also, the people who visit the park in the early morning, are less inclined to talking trash than visitors at other times of the day.

I remember when yoga first got taught at my old gym. I was one of the first students as all the "macho" guys were too leery of it as some sort of "sexual pretzel" class to ever step in. Now, yoga is thoroughly mainstream here many years later...

Anyhow, that's one reason why I do all my qigong privately at home here.

Hardyg,

I've had good reactions; such as one individual who asked if he could just watch, and afte I finished my form asked me what I was practicing and where I learned it. Or the times I've even suprised those who thought I wouldn't know such a thing as Tai Chi, and exclaimed in a suprised manner.

Even a friend of mine with no knowledge or interest in this sort of thing, a weight lifter, saw me practicing and told a senior Petty Officer that he thought it was inspiring that I would continue to practice even in our conditions, even if he did think that it was strange.

Other times, while meditating I have had a person or two exlaim that they thought it was wierd, or that I was for practicing it. My own sister used to tell my mother that I was speaking with the devil or somesuch. :rolleyes:

and also as a courtesy to my wife, who is concerned about townsfolk thinking I'm weird and it reflecting on her (despite the fact that others do similar activities at the local park every day and the town actually has a tai chi class at the senior center at that same park!)

Well, I'd say that's a fear that cries for being dissolved, especially since - considering the circumstances - it seems to be powerful (meaning it manifests with a high sensitivity).

Tell your wife "Oh please! I mean, c'mon!" :lol:

Edited by Hardyg

When I'm doing a form in the park I'll usually do it in a secluded corner. Even then I'll have my 'back' to the main road.

Michael

While doing standing and sitting energy practices in the park, it now has occured many times that people who see it will react in a way that I can only colloquially describe as lame: They will act in the usual ignorant ridiculing manner and laugh and say "Om!".

I guess this shows the massive influence of mass media (style of depiction in movies for example). But of course the ridicule of what one does not understand is a universal behavior. I just found it interesting how uniformous the reactions are.

Also telling is that especially children and teenagers - while sometimes at first acting a bit like I mentioned above - will often come to me and directly ask me about what I'm doing. I see this as the adult world not yet having influenced them so much with that kind of distance to other human beings, suppression of curiosity and ignorance.

I guess in the east this phenomenon of ridiculing energy practices is almost non-existent, right? Assuming that this theme is deeply ingrained in eastern culture. (I'm sure they have other things to ridicule.) Or did you ever experience similar reactions in Asia - perhaps by people that might be very western-oriented?

How about your experiences in other countries, including western ones? Any difference there? I'm curious about reports of all kinds concerning the abovementioned situation.

my friend and I were practicing tai chi in front of his apartment building and a bunch of kids were playing. They were very curious about what we were doing, but we were deep in our forms to explain...suddenly it started raining pine cones.

When we stopped, we pulled our Swords out of the scabbards and there was the sound of many feet scurrying away...

:)

My impression in the US Midwest is that people are less expressive even if they do find the practice funny or weird. I think there is enough popular media coverage of alternative health and fitness systems that people don't react too much...

I'd say that I'm training combat styles in slowmo because it's more effective in terms of helping the body assimilate. But then again I wouldn't want anyone to fight me right there and then, so maybe I'd invent something else as an excuse. Whatever works?

the vatos in the neighborhood where i used to live would refer to me a Mr. Miyagi. the first week i was there, there would be chuckles, even a little mockery. whatevs. :rolleyes:

after a while they got used to my presence there, and they started showing me respect. Mr. Miyagi became a term of endearment.

and i'm talking serious, hard-core gang members. in the park early because money doesn't wait.

it's just something that people (mostly boys) tend to do. testing the waters. but it was my park, too, and i don't scare very easily. that first week, after my practice, i would make it a point to walk by their picnic table, or i would stand by the court and watch them play basketball for a little while before heading home. little things like smile and nod when someone made a good shot, or laugh a little when someone bricked a 3. just to send a soft message that i'm cool, but i wouldn't be intimidated by their antics or their numbers, but always showing them respect. and in showing respect AND strength, i got respect back in return, without the need for confrontation.

after that it was more likely for me to hear things in the background like "chill out, homes, Mr. Miyagi's doing his thing over there." and "that fool is deep, son. you can tell." LOL! :lol:

people change when given the opportunity. those encounters in the beginning were excellent opportunities for me to practice what i know.

admittedly, i'm a big black guy, and i kind of have a flare for the bold & brazen but that doesn't automatically get me free passes in a mexican neighborhood, if you know what i mean. but as committed practitioners, we should be more aware than ordinary people of our power to create the spaces we need, altering the incompatible energies by our influence, rather than being overly influenced by them.

these days i live in a much nicer neighborhood, with a really nice park around the corner, and i actually practice less often in this park than i did in my old neighborhood. i actually miss the hood. but whatevs. :rolleyes:

They will act in the usual ignorant ridiculing manner and laugh and say "Om!".

Well at least their spirits are being raised by laughing, and they are saying a nice mantra. :)

I think the effect all depends on where your mind is. Anyone can just tell when a person is fumbling with a practice, versus when they're flowing with it. During zhan zhuang for instance, it's easy for the attention to go all over the place. But if it's kept focused within the lower dantien, then there's no place energetically for onlookers to latch onto.

They might not even notice you're there! :ninja:

It's similar to the idea of manifestation. If you are feeling worried that onlookers will ridicule you, then guess what is going to happen.

Hundun, I loved your Mr Miyagi experience. :)

I'd say your view on the power of manifestation is a bit too general, like the perception thing. People need to have a sense for subtlety and connect to it, or it will not be used even if it's there. Not 'anyone can just tell', proven by the massive differences in reaction of people when in the presence of a powerful master.

The number of people seen, the age, the clothes, and many other mundane factors surely have by far the greatest influence on the type of the onlooker's reaction. Apart from internal factors like the person's character of course.

Edited by Hardyg

I don't want to sound harsh, but to me adopting rituals and practices from a completely different culture or religion like taoism or buddhism is kinda ridiculous. I understand this is a taoist forum, but it's very open minded. The Dalai Lama said something to that extent too. Now, i consider myself a Buddhist above all, but i could never feel confortable with such cultural barrier, repeating mantras in another language, praying in another language, burning incience, adopting a perfect meditation posture and many other things (buddhist or not).

I do understand that QiGong and TaiChi involves physical work that needs to be followed in a certain way, i'm just opening another debate i guess.

I was practicing Tai Chi in front of a church hall last week and the kids across the road were mimicking the weird postures and laughing :lol: They had picked up a relatively decent approximation of single whip by the time I finished :D

I don't want to sound harsh, but to me adopting rituals and practices from a completely different culture or religion like taoism or buddhism is kinda ridiculous. I understand this is a taoist forum, but it's very open minded. The Dalai Lama said something to that extent too. Now, i consider myself a Buddhist above all, but i could never feel confortable with such cultural barrier, repeating mantras in another language, praying in another language, burning incience, adopting a perfect meditation posture and many other things (buddhist or not).

I do understand that QiGong and TaiChi involves physical work that needs to be followed in a certain way, i'm just opening another debate i guess.

:lol: :lol:

you should be a little more artful and specific when stating things like this. first, YES YOU DO want to sound harsh! so accept that and move on. i mean, it's perfectly fine with me. ;)

second, by making such an overly general statement, you immediately become ridiculous yourself when you state that you consider yourself a buddhist.

aside from those things, you're just really unclear. the neighborhood i grew up in is a completely different culture than what most people on this forum grew up with. so what does that mean for my options as someone who wants to grow?

and burning incense? perfect meditation posture? what are you talking about??? :lol:

there IS a point about cultural appropriation that you COULD make, but you're definitely not making it right now.

i would recommend more focus and clarity in the point that you're really trying to make. cuz what you just wrote is ALL over the place.

you might even consider starting a new thread on cultural appropriation, IF that's even what you're getting at. i'm still not completely sure.

EDIT:

hmm. have i done it again? too harsh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Hundun

Short version is that I have decided that temporary relative domestic tranquility for myself and for my 16 year old son is more valuable than the victory of doing my tai chi at the park at her expense. Her path & mine are somewhat different, you see.

hehe I get accused of doing "Weird Hippy sh!t" but (usually) in a loving manner. Although a few electrical appliances broke recently and she asked me if I had increased my practices :ninja:

...Also telling is that especially children and teenagers - while sometimes at first acting a bit like I mentioned above - will often come to me and directly ask me about what I'm doing...

Lol, dependent origination playing again.

It happens to me all the time. The younglings are more receptive to "real knowledge". Adults are already prey to their minds and the social order.

Don't worry my friend, is like casting pearls before swine. Consider yourself having good karma and feel compassion and understanding of the suffering the unawakened experience every moment of their lives.

Keep practicing as steady and robust as the growth of an oak.

:)

This commentary seems somewhat off-topic... or are you suggesting the ridicule is a form of cultural critique? :lol:

By the way, the Dalai Lama said people should stick to their religion (= belief system) (because none is more right than another, just stay with what works for you). He didn't mean that we shouldn't exchange aspects of culture in general.

Personally I think his remark was specially designed to deal with the question asked to him whether people should become buddhists, thus a kind of diplomatic defense against inciting religious resentment towards buddhists.

hehe I get accused of doing "Weird Hippy sh!t" but (usually) in a loving manner. Although a few electrical appliances broke recently and she asked me if I had increased my practices :ninja:

I'm trying to imagine your loved one hugging you with a smile while speaking the words "weird Hippy shit". :lol:

Don't worry my friend, is like casting pearls before swine. Consider yourself having good karma and feel compassion and understanding of the suffering the unawakened experience every moment of their lives.

Good karma, bad karma... like's it's a kind of bank account. Karma applies to me, what more can I dare to say?

I don't mind the pearls. Got a sufficient supply for the occuring encounters, and new ones grow. Who knows where destiny will carry those pearls to?

I'd say being unawakened doesn't automatically mean suffering, because many live a very happy, ignorant life. (Then again, to define awakenness is a tricky thing.) I'd say what causes suffering is the moving along the path, the aspiration for being more in the future than now. One can greatly reduce the suffering by standing still ... or at least postpone it.

(But I'm not so sure about this myself, just a thought. Maybe for another thread.)

Edited by Hardyg

I need to find that specific quote from the Dalai Lama, but i most definitely sure he meant the following of customs, rituals, and others as problematic and a waste of time for the practitioner.

Anyway my intention was not to insult you with my opinions but i think i failed, hehe. English is not my primary language so sometimes things get lost in traslation. As for considering myself a Buddhist and not being compatible with what i said, i don't particulary agree with that. You see i'm a big fan of greek philosophy and i don't wear exotic robes or sandals. I consider Buddha the most important master of our times, his teachings are amazing, i have faith in all of them, but i understand that the historical and cultural context is very different from mine. This and the fact that i don't believe in organized religion pretty much sums it up.

Of course i completely agree this whole debate is off-topic, it just something i always found funny, western people reciting/praying in a obscure foreign language (this doesn't happen in Catholicism for example) and so on.

Of course i completely agree this whole debate is off-topic, it just something i always found funny, western people reciting/praying in a obscure foreign language (this doesn't happen in Catholicism for example) and so on.

Except the preachers, right? They speak them in latin?

Don't dismiss the use of foreign language in rituals. Something is always different from doing it in your own language. There might be effects that are desired. And this could be more significant with rituals, if you believe in the principle of charging something with belief-energy.

I don't want to go too far off-topic, but this is an interesting thing in superstition. There are billions of chinese people on this planet, and if all of them solemnly believe it brings bad luck to arrange your table utensils the wrong way, their collective belief over maybe centuries might bring you bad luck if you do so. Would be ironic, because they would be acting malevolent towards you. (Like it happens so often on the basis of strong belief, though usually in a less subtle way.)

It wouldnt be my way if they didnt laugh when they first see or hear it. ;)

...said the standup comedian. :lol:

Edited by Hardyg