SAMANTABHADRA

Capoeira Angola

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I play capoeira angola, which is the slower style of capoeira. I don't hesitate to say that I haven't found another regimen of training that integrates the whole body in such a profound way. Lots of stretching of the tendons and muscles involved, flexibility of the spine is promoted and increased, super core strength is generated, and the whole body is integrated into a singular whole - something I think is a goal of many taoist practices. Lots of time spent upside down as well, in handstands and headstands and things of that nature - reversing polarities and whatnot.

Also, aside from training, there is the actual game/ritual of the 'roda' (pronounced 'hoda') in which the game is played. It is a circle of people, playing berimbaus (a stringed instrument which appears deceptively simple to play), different kinds of drums and bells, and singing. The songs are generally led by one person, who introduces a chorus and then leads the group in call-and-response singing, mixed with improvised choruses.

The roda has a boatload of energy - I find the music of capoeira particularly powerful for practicing any kind of bodywork.

Just to let ya'll know, if you're doing the physical taoist practices, trying to improve core strength or whatnot (I know Trunk suggests Pilates) this is another option which is very challenging, and fun.

And you play with other people, so it's more like a game than training by yourself.

Ch-check it out :D

Years ago, before I had ever heard of Capoeira, I say a beautiful intricate display of talent at a San Diego healing arts festival. Really impressive stuff. You mentioned bodywork- Is there an energetic healing aspect to the art or any of the arts of Brazil? I wonder if BJJ masters of old had a hidden energy component.

Man this is a beautiful post

Been trying to perfect my ginga, came upon capoeira thru Afro-Cuban percussion and arts

The Nestor Capoeira books are an excellent history lesson

Like all the arts, if I would get off line and video-book land and practice, my comments might have some value.

Axe' Axe'

Lovely.

Hey Guys,

Very cool stuff - I gotta say, I never fail to be impressed by the agility expressed by older players, very inspiring, this is how I would like to age - I took a class with Nestor Capoeira years back and I was amazed at his agility, he was in his late 60's at the time - my first teacher, Elias Fonseca (Capoeira Quilombo San Diego) was still doing flips in his 40's - I've also been amazed at the liberating and cleansing effect from the combo of music and rhythm, the axe from a good roda has been quite healing to me.

Salud,

Rene'