Spirit Ape

Who still does Kunlun?

Interesting to see who on TTB's has kept up with there Kunlun training I know Scotty does anyone else only trains Kunlun?

Was just wondering since its been very non kunlun here for a while now!!!

Ape

^ ROFL

Alright a Kunlun thread, it HAS been a while :D

I rarely do the practice, but I still recommend the book to people. I also know several 'bums have Kunlun as their "core" practice, but they can name themselves if they want.

It was certainly valuable for me. I was having difficulty meditation for more than 20 min, Kunlun fixed that.

Just the book (they didn't make it to Australia) Got a few tips from Chris now and then, practiced for ~ a year. It was good.

If you are really bored and want a long read my Kunlun experience, mixed in with my life :lol:, is documented in the link in my .sig

Haha, what timing. I just started doing sum kunlun a few hours ago. It was REALLY sporadic and strong. I caught a nap afterwards and woke up feeling EXCELLENT. I'm thinking of maybe restarting kunlun for awhile and see where it brings me. I learned it months ago but stopped because I was questioning a few controversial aspects of it.

Does anyone know if it can be mixed with practices that fill your lower dan tien? I know they said don't mix it with stuff that moves chi around and meditation afterwards focuses on storing the energy in the lower dan tien so i would think the two may work together, but I have no idea. Anyone know?

Does anyone know if it can be mixed with practices that fill your lower dan tien? I know they said don't mix it with stuff that moves chi around and meditation afterwards focuses on storing the energy in the lower dan tien so i would think the two may work together, but I have no idea. Anyone know?

From a reputable source:

yes, the practices are quite compatible, but don't do them the same day.

Did you happen to find just working the first exercise beneficial in and of itself?

Yes, just the level 1 practice, with the 20 min closing down afterwards (important)

Not sure how "wired" you are, but Chris strongly recommended that I didn't practice high. Personally I save that for "recreation" not "practicing" Otherwise as long as you are doing the closing down position it's relatively safe.

By relatively I mean that choosing to do a practice like this means you want to "change something" in your life. There are always pains associated with change. If you want thing to stay the same and nothing to happen, don't do Kunlun :lol: Also I barly scratched the surface of what the practice offers there are MANY here who "went deeper"/ "let go more" than I did.

Re: Mixing. like Max said in the book, try Kunlun for 2 weeks, if you like it just do Kunlun. It's not that you can't do other practices, but if they turn out incompatible then you could have difficulties fixing yourself. And I don't have the experience to recommend what would be a safe mix. (Edit: so go with Taomeow's advice)

I still use it, occasionally. I've even shown it to several friends (though I've renamed it "yin~yang mudra": more descriptive and doesn't lead back to that school.. and it's simple enough to easily draw). It's a good method.

Just the wide awake and can't sleep type of wired :D

Oh ok... err... hope you get some sleep :blush:

Mr_Mackey.jpg

I still do kunlun, but not every day...the time requirement isnt an issue, seems like a lot of time but I usually just go at night and it winds up taking up the first couple hours I'd normally sleep, but that's no big deal because it seems to charge you up enough that the "missing sleep" is merely a different form of rejuvenation. I always start out with embryonic breathing or some form of anapanasati (depending on my mood I'll regulate in different fashions, but the more profound is inhaling and exhaling right at the ni wan and all the rest just does what its been trained to, so that's what I ideally go for, but in reality at times progress will be made more quickly in a different fashion.) That's a great way to "set the mood" as it were, as the opening meditation in the...old...book...told ya - I never got around to buying the new book, but I'd surmise it has a similar way to get ready. Actually, doing the standing practices first are great, they help increase (solidify?) the potential (i.e. amplitude) for the spontaneous practice.

Betwxtr, the kl1-2-3 in the book are good exercises but they're honestly supercharged by the combination with the red phoenix practice, part of the efficacy of what Max teaches. So just doing what's in the book is similar as Jenny Lamb's method of teaching yi gong. (Although not exactly the same...I've never taken Jenny's class, her methods are more focused towards health and balance, whereas Max's methods have another aim in their combination.) There's people taught to give the transmissions all over, so depending where you are, that's the easiest way to get "the missing piece" of Max's practices.

I'll second Taomeow's relation on keeping the practices separate by at least a day - the latest practice I learned from Max carried that warning "not to run two trains on the same track at the same time," i.e. a water direction and a fire direction - another reason why closedown is so important along with doing enough of the standing practices to ground yourself well.

Interesting to see who on TTB's has kept up with there Kunlun training I know Scotty does anyone else only trains Kunlun?

Was just wondering since its been very non kunlun here for a while now!!!

Ape

I have yet to find out what Kunlun actually is so any interest previously had has waned.

How is your book/dvd coming along?

Just the book (they didn't make it to Australia) Got a few tips from Chris now and then, practiced for ~ a year. It was good.

If you are really bored and want a long read my Kunlun experience, mixed in with my life :lol:, is documented in the link in my .sig

Hey Mal, they're here this weekend doing level one in melbourne... Email martin if interested.

[email protected]

I think kunlun/yi gong is a very beneficial practice, it really adds a layer of depth to my other qigong and meditation practices. Seeing the form in the formless and the formless in the form helps bring me closer (still a ways to go...haha) to the wuji state. I think eventually the formless/spontaneous practice can be all that one needs but a solid foundation in qigong and daoist wisdom traditions is very helpful before one can leave all forms behind. Maybe many never get to that point, and its not a point for all, but developing awareness, training the mind, and developing intuitive knowledge are the biggest benefits of the practice for me.

Other practices in kunlun system are also quite good and powerful; individually I could recommend all of them. The only downside from my perspective is too many practices - better to pick one practice and do it daily, learn from it, rather than sampling from the buffet table of spiritual practices.

Also for me I like to see an emphasis on body-mind-spirit all in balance - to that end I think it is important for practitioners have or work to build a solid foundation in qigong practice, theory, and history before putting all their eggs in the enlightenment/attainment basket. I think many will find this basket isn't as important/appealing to them as it once seemed.

Oh yes about mixing practices - the spontaneous practice helps build awareness and intuition and will make it clear to most what practices are compatible and which are not - for me it blends very well with internal martial arts, qigong, and many meditations, daoist and buddhist. Red Phoenix seems a little more picky about what you mix it with. I stick with he spontaneous practice for myself, although I am always open to learning about other energy practices to help gain perspective and insight on my own practice.

Wait I thought Kunlun was "Nei Gong" not qigong?

Btw has anyone heard of any others who have attained the fabled "Golden Dragon Body"? I'm still not quite sure what to think of it, whether it's true/legit or whether it's just hype. ANyone have insights on this? thx

-Astral

Yup, still practice it. :)

I think kunlun/yi gong is a very beneficial practice,

Yi Gong and Kunlun are two different paths.

Kunlun uses the forms practiced in Yi Gong, but goes about it slightly differently, and adds distinct additional practices that make it very different overall.

Grouping these two individual practices together confuses matters.

Kunlun uses the forms practiced in Yi Gong, but goes about it slightly differently

Would you please elaborate on this?

Yup, still practice it. :)

Yi Gong and Kunlun are two different paths.

Kunlun uses the forms practiced in Yi Gong, but goes about it slightly differently, and adds distinct additional practices that make it very different overall.

Grouping these two individual practices together confuses matters.

Yes, different paths, different systems.

But for the spontaneous practice, I see it as the same practice, whether you call it Yi Gong Level 1 or Kunlun level 1. While Max's approach and Jenny's overall approach are different, they both teach the same thing when introducing the spontaneous practice - every person's practice is different, every individual will take a different approach and experience different result, some people start holding the ball a little different, but its all the same. Max's facilitators are encouraged to teach to their own style while maintaining the essence of the practice - so learning Kunlun I, II, or III from 2 different facilitators will often be far more different than learning the spontaneous practice from Max or Jenny - at least this was my experience. In any event that is what is so appealing about the practice - that it takes on it's own life for each individual, truly becoming their own personal practice. With every person it is different but still the same practice. What is confusing for some is clear for others. For some the kunlun/yi gong connection is confusing, for others understanding where the practice comes from is informative. Everyone is different, I can only refer to the practice in the ways that I have experienced it.

From a reputable source:

yes, the practices are quite compatible, but don't do them the same day.

Separating by a day, or even part of a day is ok, though more aggressive dan tien qi gong (qi packing)is best not to mix at all. Many practices can be done together - all kunlun practices close with dan tien breathing, golden flower fills all the dan tien, all can be done together. You get into trouble when doing packing/compressing or conscious circulating, but other methods are ok.

Was thinking about the practice while taking a chemistry test. When I learned it it was called spontaneous. In chemistry a spontaneous process is a natural process that occurs on its own.

Than something happened and now it's called Yi-gong instead of spontaneous. Which makes me wonder about the ways of heaven and al-Khem-ry.

Would you please elaborate on this?

The difference is in how the energy behaves during the spontaneous practice as a result of the additional practices within Kunlun - most notably Red Phoenix; as well as the lineage transmission.

the spontaneous practice, I see it as the same practice, whether you call it Yi Gong Level 1 or Kunlun level 1

I agree. I just want to clarify that Kunlun is not just the spontaneous practice...

Writing 'kunlun/yi gong' gives the impression that these are pretty much the same system, when they're clearly not. That's all I wanted to point out for the sake of clarity - especially for those unfamiliar with either of these practices :)

I agree. I just want to clarify that Kunlun is not just the spontaneous practice...

Writing 'kunlun/yi gong' gives the impression that these are pretty much the same system, when they're clearly not. That's all I wanted to point out for the sake of clarity - especially for those unfamiliar with either of these practices :)

I hear you.

the spontaneous practice, I see it as the same practice, whether you call it Yi Gong Level 1 or Kunlun level 1

I personally see it as different, because of the way it was taught to me. The only similarity is that the hands are in roughly the same place.