Helder

Neurological switching - the tao way?

Hi,

I am not sure if any of you is familiar with the concept of neurological switching. It is a kind of a "scramble" of the energy system causing confusion, lack of coordination and other clumsinesses. It is usely attributed to reversed polarities in the brain, it is thought to be normal function of the organism but in extreme cases of tension or prolonged stress it can become ingrained and thus be quite disruptive (see here for example: http://integratedhealing.co.uk/what-we-do/issues-addressed/neurological-switching/). It is also linked usually with homolaterality, i.e. not crossing over energies from left to right side of the body.

There are various simple techniques out these to counter switchign that releive the symptoms for a while (http://parentkeys.org/wp-content/uploads/Switching_chart_and_references.pdf). I know I am frequently (or permanently?) switched because I have a very low stress threshold, I present many of the symptoms and when I do the techniques I feel imediate relief. This relief however does not last very long (switching, if ingrained, can be hard to reverse) and so I wanted to know: does taoism ever dealt with switching? I realise this is probably a very recent "epidemic" but how would a taoist deal with this? Are there specific techniques that could help with this over the long term?

I know there are not "quick fixes" in this but would love to know some simple techniques that if done over the long term will help re-balance the system and somehow it seems to me that particular qigong exercises could od the trick.

Thanks!

Hmmm. It sounds interesting. I clicked through on your link and found neurological switching, and it refers to "electro-magnetic polarity reversal within the brain". I am not aware of this the electromagnetic polarities within the brain under normal (healthy) or abnormal (reversal). Do you have any more information of the 'polarities' of the brain? If indeed it is an electromagnetic phenomenon, it must be able to be measured and assessed, and I don't believe this is any part of how modern medical science believes how the brain works.

Hi, thanks for your input.

Well, the "neurological switching" was something that came out of Applied Kineseology, so not really "medical science" per se. I believe it is real because (i) I felt it for many years without understanding it and (ii) the simple techniques designed to aliviate it work. I think you could be as skeptical with qigong - you cannot explain how it works from a modern medical perspective, yet it does.

I guess what they mean by "polarity reversal" is a kind of "switching off" of the brain. It is a kind of short circuity or shut-off due to stress/tension. An overload so to speak. Do you understand? They do muscle testing to test for this kind of things - it is weak if it's reversed and then it can become strong when corrected.

See this very very interesting example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIORgKOHMes

She does not mention switching or reversals but it is the same when she says the energy is "scrambled".

Hi there. Donna Eden talks about this and has some remedies for it.

Pretty simply, as far as I recall, they involve the figure 8. Drawing with hands, in various sizes and locations across one's mid line. Pretty much ad hoc, it's going to work.

Essentially, any circling that is balanced on each side, and crosses the centre line, will aid the cross over. So many qigong and tai chi moves do this as part of the system.

*right

*left

*harmonise by crossing centre

a very basic move.

Hi there. Donna Eden talks about this and has some remedies for it.

Pretty simply, as far as I recall, they involve the figure 8. Drawing with hands, in various sizes and locations across one's mid line. Pretty much ad hoc, it's going to work.

Essentially, any circling that is balanced on each side, and crosses the centre line, will aid the cross over. So many qigong and tai chi moves do this as part of the system.

*right

*left

*harmonise by crossing centre

a very basic move.

Hey, thanks a lot! I think this is it :lol:

I like Donna Eden's stuff, and I get what you are talking about, they are also known as the 'Brain Gym' exercises. But that site you referred us to is pretty imprecise in it's language and concepts. After all these years, I never have been able to really trust Applied Kinesiology though, because of the obvious operator error/suggestibility factor, and also the whole pseudo-scientific air about it ("electromagnetic polarity reversal" that isn't measurable). It somehow refers to subtle energies, but if they are electromagnetic, then they should be demonstrable and measurable. Anyone else have more information on A.K. that gives it more legitimacy, or is it still just a pseudo-scientific phenomenon that energy people cannot explain?

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Yes, maybe my choice of website wasn't the best - I did a quick search on the net and posted what appears to summarise the issue. I follow Donna Eden mostly also, although I pick up a few more techniques here and there. Thanks.

...I never have been able to really trust Applied Kinesiology though,...

Me either. Especially when one can sit in a room with someone else doing it and totally change the outcome. I guess it has it's merits, though, IF it helps someone.

Following Cat's suggestions above I went back to look in Donna's book (Energy Medicine) as I remember seeing there an illustration of figure 8s and thought that might help. I found it and was curious about the "aura weaving".

I did that and it works very well. Donna explains it (and demonstrates beautifully) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErIp2A_-2Ts

It does the things Cat mentioned: circular motions on both sides of the body and crosses the midline (3x actually). Plus it seems to expand the pulse of the aura. Well, I don't know about that as I don't see energy as Donna does but I can say I feel much better after that so I will do it often from now on! It is interesting as it is similar to Qigong in many ways.

I thought I'd write this as a suggestion that can help others with similar problems. The Wayne cook posture (also in Donna's book and video (link in my post above)) also helps me.