betwixter

Silencing the mind

Hi Betwixter,

I found that the best thing for me to do is get my body as comfortable as possible and close my eyes. Sure, the thoughts come running. But I try to just leave them alone to do their thing. Eventually they run out of gas and my mind becomes calm, sometimes absent.

Other time I might be outside and I just loose it and go into meditation. That's not too good if a person were walking the sidewalks of a busy street. This happens mostly when I am in the back yard at the fish ponds and I am doing something mechanical that doesn't require constant thinking or I am just sitting, listening to the waterfalls.

Peace & Love!

... listening to the waterfalls.

No wonder you are always 'peace and love'! :D

Very nice. Lucky you MH. Must be quite a challenge to still the mind for those who live right next to the busy rail lines. Any handy recommendations for folks there?

No wonder you are always 'peace and love'! :D

Yeah, I must admit that the waterfalls adds a lot to any effort to be one with nature.

Must be quite a challenge to still the mind for those who live right next to the busy rail lines.

Any handy recommendations for folks there?

Ear plugs?

Actually, what worked well for me when I was in school and needed to write a paper I would turn my music up load enough to over-ride all other noises, become one with the music, then concentrate on the paper. I would never remember what music was playing because my subconscious mind took over the listening so my conscious mind could work on the paper.

Yes, a busy rail line or airport would cause distraction to meditation. I have heard some people sasy that they become so accustomed to it that they rarely even notice the noise when one comes through.

Peace & Love!

Hiya

Just to be clear guys, this post wasn't for advice or suggestions for me, it was just to start a dialogue on what people that are members of this forum use personally to quiet their mind. I already have a particular routine that works well for me and have had good results with it. Sorry if there was confusion...this is my first 'topic' here on TaoBums.

Adios

Hehehe. Actually, I am just talking as if I know something. Your thread looked like a nice place for me to say something.

Don't expect too much advice from me. I've got all I can do with my life. Hehehe. And even if you did ask I would probably just say something like "Find what works for you."

And BTW, we go off topic fairly regularly around here so don't think that we're not paying attention to you, Okay?

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

Hola!

I would like to hear about the various techniques and methods that the members use or have used to facilitate the quieting of the mind, as that is such a central tenant in many traditions. You can also include any experiences that may have happened that caused a dramatic silencing of the mind...ie a 'permanent' shifting of awareness away from the mind brain which dramatically decreases 'undirected chatter' or the kundalini arousal which can also silence the critical mind as it reconciles many competing 'mental agendas'. Anyway, you get the point.

One method that I used a while back was inspired by the Castaneda's books in which one simply involves gazing at the horizon; but as I can't see the horizon where I live, I tried to just 'diffuse' my vision to take in the entire field while at the same time, trying to 'convince' myself that what I was seeing was actually my thought. This addition had the effect of tricking my mind to not 'think' internally, as 'how could I be thinking something else when I was already thinking...a type of cognitive dissonance I suppose. Well, it worked but had the added result of 'pushing' my awareness out of my body and blending it with the world's awareness...scared the living shit out of my poor delicate constitution as an immense primal fear arose and everything I saw and felt took on a feeling of immensity and awe. Well, to put it bluntly, my awareness ran back to its hidey hole pretty damn quick as it felt how far down the deep end of the pool goes. So now, I don't use awareness directly to 'force' my mind quiet, and one way I practice is generally just to let my mind drift while not injecting any additional energy into its line of thinking and let it quiet on its own...this way doesn't force awareness anywhere in particular or anywhere its not quite prepared for.

Looking forward to your posts.

Just lie down in shavasana, let your entire body relax. As your body relaxes your mind becomes pronounced...observe the thoughts....simply be. At one point the thoughts will slow down and you will find the gap between the thoughts...as time goes that too will expand...be in that gap. That is meditation

Copied from a friend's facebook page. Dwai and Rain and many others have read it already I would think.

"Awareness watching Awareness is the true meditation to re-establish the perception of the Eternal, Unchanging Witness within called the True Self. It can be done actively or passively. Those incapable of the active contemplation use the passive means of abandonment and relaxation where one begins to relax the body progressively, inch by inch, part by part, sometimes through intent and sometimes simply through a passive moment-to-moment observation. Once a state of deep relaxation is achieved, as a first step towards abandonment, the mind is pulled into the Spiritual Heart, which Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi called Hrid-Granthi. Then, the thoughts are abandoned and released - by ignoring smells, sights, sensations - of the body and its surroundings. With every successive degree of relaxation, abandonment is also progressed by letting all efforts drop. Thoughts, efforts, feelings are all let go like the peels of an onion falling away. Thoughts, efforts and feelings are abandoned, released and let go. When the superficials fall away, the ever-present Witness within presents itself and cessation is attained. Though slower and more indirect than the active approach of inquiry, this works for many.

In the more rapid and direct active approach, one simply looks within and observes the Observer. One becomes aware of Object A initially and then gradually aware of that which is aware of A. One then becomes aware of Object B and then becomes aware of that which is aware of B. One then understands that it is the same Awareness that makes one aware of A and B. The wise one then drops objects A and B as objects of awareness and rests simply in the pure-awareness which is Self-aware. Put in simple words, watch your awareness watching awareness. Shut down the thoughts that lead you to the object of observation but observe the observation itself, observe the one who observes, see the seer. Think not that Awareness is the mind, or thoughts therein. Awareness is the dynamic aspect of Chit or consciousness of the Eternal Witness and an easy and direct route to within.

As an auxiliary practice, one may wish to start by observing thoughts. Once the thoughts are being looked at, they become less chaotic, and begin to fade. When there is a state of no-thought, even if for a very short duration, ask yourself a question - Where is my Next Thought going to come from? Try to find an answer. At that moment, in the process of such contemplation, one easily makes acquaintance with the Pure Awareness and becomes aware of The Awareness. By repeating this as thoughts rise and fall, one is able to stay in the state of Pure Awareness."

Edited by Raymond Wolter

Hiya

Just to be clear guys, this post wasn't for advice or suggestions for me, it was just to start a dialogue on what people that are members of this forum use personally to quiet their mind. I already have a particular routine that works well for me and have had good results with it. Sorry if there was confusion...this is my first 'topic' here on TaoBums.

Adios

You did get what you asked for when you wrote, "I would like to hear about the various techniques and methods that the members use...". If you want to facilitate a dialouge then we would all very much like to hear about your experiences which will illicit more dialouge. What technique are you using now? Do you know why you were scared when blending your awareness (Do you remember what Don Juan said to Carlos when he saw his own body in dreaming?)? Have you tried what is written in the Castaneda books by putting something heavy on your belly button or using a short stick against your third eye while sitting (I think was mentioned in a Carlos magazine interview article)?

Thanks for sharing so far.

I yet have to find something as powerful and long lasting as Vipassana when it comes to silencing the monkey mind.

Try it.

Nothing special. Lately a combo of mantra and becoming the mantra, then an attempt to feel void instead of a body. I have found with whatever basic technique, what makes it really effective is the extent you can let go, open up, love, or be vulnerable, and of course really relax--doing this all the while pratising the technique.

I yet have to find something as powerful and long lasting as Vipassana when it comes to silencing the monkey mind.

Try it.

Have you ever tried a bottle of 100 proof Southern Comfort?

Peace & Love!

Thanks to everyone else for reading this topic and posting.

Hehehe. You're welcome.

Yes, I did read all of all your posts.

There are many here who are always more than willing to give advice. Don't let that bother you, Okay?

Peace & Love!

Have you ever tried a bottle of 100 proof Southern Comfort?

Peace & Love!

Neither interested in the illusion that drugs create nor damaging the liver and gallbladder wood.

Ayahuasca (and other psychoactive plants) used specifically for healing purposes is the only I'd approve. But again you need the permission of the plant, which is not always the case (bad trip). Vipassana, Qigong, IMA and Yoga are safer practices and equally effective but take a very long time. What am I doing again??? Talking over and over the same old stuff we all know about :)

What am I doing again??? Talking over and over the same old stuff we all know about :)

That's okay. Repetition is an excellent teacher.

I agree, drugs and alcohol are not the way to enlightenment. (Whatever enlightenment is.)

Peace & Love!

I've learned, though, that answering her comment with something like "No, I love it!" is not a wise response...

Hehehe. I actually felt that! I know exactly what you are saying. I was married three times.

But yes, we lern to tune out those things that annoy us.

Although they are noisy, I actually enjoy the tree frogs when they go into their mating season. It seems to me that each male has a different frequency voice and when they start calling the ladies it almost sounds like music. One will start off and the whole gang joins in and they keep going until one of them stops and then the others stop within 20 - 30 seconds.

The toads are a total aggravation! They are so darned loud!

The frogs are neat. Rarely make any noise. Only when it is time for sex. Well, sometimes to proclaim territory but that's not very often.

Luckily the fish don't make much noise. Hehehe.

Peace & Love!

Hiya,

Have you attended or heard of SN Goenka's Vipassana 10 day residential retreats? Apparently its free and they only rely on donations after the fact if you think you had benefited from the practice; how much it was worth to you basically.

Not only Goenka but all Buddhist monasteries and centers located in SE Asia, India and Sri Lanka.

I don't follow his system, but the Thai forest one: prostration + 50% walking meditation and 50% sitting meditation.

Go to Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia... as there are plenty of centers over there that provide this service.

Good luck.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Hiya,

Have you attended or heard of SN Goenka's Vipassana 10 day residential retreats? Apparently its free and they only rely on donations after the fact if you think you had benefited from the practice; how much it was worth to you basically.

I started with Goenka's retreat and have done about eight of them. Very very helpful. It is rather useless to compare Mahasi vs Thai Forest vs Goenka etc. You will hear stories of how one is watered down, how the other is the "real" deal etc. After having done all of them - they all are equally good and sincerely adhering to any one of them will take you a long way.

If you are not used to retreats and meditating at all, then Goenka can be quite a strain. Helps some and hurts others. So you may want to consider a smaller and milder retreat before a Goenka one or a Thai Forest one. Also, it is great if you can develop a good Shamata practice and get to the first Jhana and have a Tai chi or Yoga practice on the side before you take a serious retreat. That way, you will be able to derive maximum benefit from the retreat.

Edited by Raymond Wolter

My comment was directed to one post that seemed to be directing me to a particular brand of meditation instead of describing what he used...which was completely understandable, hence the clarification on my part as I thought maybe he misunderstood the intent of my inquiry. Did you even read my post? Your 'recommendation' to give an experience of mine and a technique I use now to initiate dialogue was quite ridiculous since if you had even glanced at my post, you will see that is exactly what I did. Ironically, you just barraged me with more questions and didn't even do what you accused me of not, mainly describing an experience and a method you practice yourself. Did I miss something?? I have no motivation to elaborate on my experience with various practices or my insight into them with someone who is not willing to contribute anything themselves. Did you just comment to have a pissing contest about our 'knowledge' of Carlos' literature? Your questions smack of insincerity since a number of them have nothing directly to do with the topic on hand, but seem more like a poor attempt to convince yourself that you have something to contribute..."hey, I read it in a magazine". Give it a rest.

Thanks to everyone else for reading this topic and posting.

Either I did not clearly elucidate my intention or you missunderstood or both.

Either way you have taken offense with self importance.

Either way enjoy your dialouge.

If you are not used to retreats and meditating at all, then Goenka can be quite a strain. Helps some and hurts others. So you may want to consider a smaller and milder retreat before a Goenka one or a Thai Forest one. Also, it is great if you can develop a good Shamata practice and get to the first Jhana and have a Tai chi or Yoga practice on the side before you take a serious retreat. That way, you will be able to derive maximum benefit from the retreat.

Good point. Not only Goenka, anything that requires +4h of daily meditation in which the number of hours will be added up progressively to the point where you basically end up meditating 20 hours a day for the last week or so. If you suffer from some sort of liver chi stagnation make sure you fix it prior attending or you won't be able to complete the retreat properly.

Edited by durkhrod chogori