Encephalon

Solar-powered process could decrease carbon dioxide to pre-industrial levels in 10 years

Interesting - however, how are those temparatures to be produced. I don't believe solar power with in the atmosphere will produce temparatures that high.... then there is the application, used to produce synthetic version of fossil fuels which produce more carbon dioxide...?

The problem with the not-fossil energy is not technology but finance: the subsidized gasoline and oil are way cheaper than any other alternative sources of energy.

The solution - to stop subsidizing of gas / oil which effectively raises prices - is suicidal for the North America politicians. G. Campbel in BC, Canada is one of very few who was brave enough to introduce carbon tax in BC, pretty moderate one. And now he is not even considered for the next election...

Ah, well rather than take sides I will just see how it plays out. Only time will tell.

There are many more technologies that are more plausable, in fact this is a new technology not even implemented yet. You are looking at ten to twenty years before it hits the mainstream.

Well, if it's 10 to 20 years out, then that's pretty damn timely, given the gravity of the threat and the closing of the window of opportunity. Do tell, what carbon sequestering technologies are being considered? I must be completely out of the loop on this one.

Rather than over extending myself, as this took a little of my time to do for you, I had my researchers look for this technology.

The some Japanese scientist have already discovered a similar technology. In 1994 it was publicized in a Popular Science magazine:

http://books.google.com/books?id=UaUGpW8M_KMC&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=popular+science+sciences+gets+the+CO2+out&source=bl&ots=AwqJcpCfIk&sig=ZEtfIayPf4qMDZy9826hAEeBbdU&hl=en&ei=ekhOTMmtFsn6nAemqI2GAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=popular%20science%20sciences%20gets%20the%20CO2%20out&f=false

The current technology, circa 1996, unpublished found that the same Japanese think tank had developed a way already to capture and contain carbon dioxide.

The carbon dioxide was treated and turned into oxygen using zeolite pebbles at first then silicon. The organism that eats it, blue green algae.

So this technology should already be in existence prior to the current date. In otherwords 16 years of unpublished advances if funding was not cut. So that makes me wonder the following:

Why wasnt it implemented sooner, or did no one care?

Why research and design, implement a technology that is new as opposed to tech that has already been developed by someone else?

Why CO2 only and not methane or other toxic gasses?

Why not a sustainable technology, instead of fighting the current tidal wave?

Also did funding get cut? Or wy are we not hearing about this tech after the 90s?

I noticed the difference with the STEP process, being a new technology, it seems to either generate Carbon or Carbon monoxide (as fuel)

It doesnt say what The carbon could be used for except for vague generalities, or the process for fuel with carbon monoxide which could be harmful. Did anyone mention what these processes were, or any details?

Also, the 750o heat definately would require a cooling system. Most places dont have liquid nitrogen just sitting around to cool something like this. Water would be the economical choice for cooling. At risk of further environmental damage, the ensuing heated water would also have to be cooled.

This is all based upon what you have said Blasto. Has anyone mentioned what company has decided to take all of this on? No proper businessman is going to just become the saviour of the world for nothing, or at least that is what I have learned.

Alternately if this was a joint business venture, a new corporation would be set up to accomodate this new venture. If so, and the results are true, then we should have a name of a company already. If so also, they are looking at staggering business losses, and the reason why is what I am getting to next.

When Carbon (potash) and Monoxide are formed there will also be other molecular by products that will not render pure Carbon or pure Carbon Monoxide. Such as Carbon sulfates and Hydrogen sulfates. Either way I am not hearing any details about this whole thing which seems to be sounding more like a farce.

I would like something to prove its existence.

Edited by Guest

:lol: Yes, let's invest in this - there seems to be a shortage of black holes down which to pour money lately...

right on, my point exactly. :lol:

thx for the lead to the really interesting stuff, though ;)

http://www.physorg.com/news198859600.html

I think Blasto seems to think you pointed it out... hence JoeBlast fan club. :huh:

Edited by Guest

I have all the respect in the world for Freeman Dyson, and have to admit that computer models are beyond my realm of expertise. I can make sense out of photographs that show glaciers disappearing and and sea ice retreating, and I have friends who spend their professional lives in the Arctic quantifying the northerly march of different flora and fauna.

But enough about this. How doth your lower dantien gurgle?

I have all the respect in the world for Freeman Dyson, and have to admit that computer models are beyond my realm of expertise. I can make sense out of photographs that show glaciers disappearing and and sea ice retreating, and I have friends who spend their professional lives in the Arctic quantifying the northerly march of different flora and fauna.

But enough about this. How doth your lower dantien gurgle?

did you watch the time lapse vids though? esp multi-year or decadal, you get to see it all ebb and flow, shrinking and returning. pretty cool :) glaciers are a little trickier though since it normally takes a couple hundred years for something that falls on top to calve down bottom, they're more subject to changing weather patterns.

too many times I've seen this:

gissarctichole.jpg?w=510&h=382

become this:

ghcn_giss_ersst_1200km_trnd0112_1880_2009.gif?w=510&h=301

and you see what their models do in the absence of data - coincidence?

gurgling? let me go eat some sausage and fried calamari, I'll tell ya later :lol:

Conceit knows no boundaries as does contrived information. Is contrived information coincidence? All it is is around and around and around we go. Where it stops people... :lol: