RiverSnake

Inception Movie Review

I don't want to spoil the movie so i'll just say this: this move is like none you have ever seen before...is is very intense and well worth seeing.

-Enjoy :)

Definitively, it belongs to the off topic section.

Anyway, saw it last night. Good film but it owes a lot to The Matrix and they could have got rid of the underlying "love story" which is so typical of commercial movies. 7.5/10.

If you like top sci fi watch Blade Runner and 2001: A Spacey Odyssey if you haven't. The first one is my fave movie of all time.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

If you like top sci fi watch Blade Runner and 2001: A Spacey Odyssey if you haven't. The first one is my fave movie of all time.

Got to second that recommendation for Blade Runner,

bladerunner-origami-unicorn.jpg

stands the test of time and is as good as the book. 2001 is a bit slow paced these days but it's a classic.

Looking forward to Inception, so good to see no spoilers posted :)

Riped off from Wiki

Initially, Nolan wrote an 80-page treatment about dream-stealers.[11] Originally, Nolan had envisioned Inception as a horror film,[11] but eventually wrote it as a heist film even though he found that "traditionally [they] are very deliberately superficial in emotional terms."[28] Upon revisiting his script, he decided that basing it in that genre did not work because the story "relies so heavily on the idea of the interior state, the idea of dream and memory. I realized I needed to raise the emotional stakes."[28] Nolan worked on the script for nine to ten years.[8] When he first started thinking about making the film, Nolan was influenced by "that era of movies where you had The Matrix, you had Dark City, you had The Thirteenth Floor and, to a certain extent, you had Memento, too. They were based in the principles that the world around you might not be real."

Dark City is EXCELLENT as was The Thirteenth Floor (an under-rated movie IMHO) But they all forgot

eXistenZ

Now that was one seriously good movie.

I'm the only person that I know of who didn't enjoy Inception.

Maybe the movie's theme of trying to implant an idea was used in the production of the movie. :lol:

I'm reading some reviews on IMDB, and while some negative ones are not so well-founded, there really seem to be good reasons not to like the movie. What I find funny: One reviewer mentioned that the script for the movie was in work for a decade. Wasn't that the same that was said of Avatar? Maybe that's the code for having had an idea ten years ago and rediscovered it 9,5 years later for a movie.

There's a really weird trend going on in the movie business that's worth observing.

I didn't see the movie, but from my experiences with movies like 'Star Trek 11' I've learned a lot about positive reviews. ;)

I guess the problem is just that super-nasty psycho-marketing-trickery is just all over the place now.

Edited by Hardyg

I thought it was good...but it could have been great if about 30-40 minutes of redundant material was trimmed.

As an avid lucid dreamer, I had high hopes for this one and was hoping they would spend more time on the nuances of the dream and being conscious in such, then on Mr. Di Caprio's longing for his lost love and how it impacted the ability of his 'crew' to penetrate the targets mind.

What you're looking for cannot be found in mainstream movies. I would suggest "Waking Life"

Guest paul walter

I don't want to spoil the movie so i'll just say this: this move is like none you have ever seen before...is is very intense and well worth seeing.

-Enjoy :)

Citizen Kane with Guns would be my estimation. Mr Christopher "that's a very loud and busy soundtrack" Nolan seems to be becoming quite the thinking persons blockbuster maker. As all the noise and the missed oppurtunities to make it truly mind-expanding fade (after two hours at the minute) I'm reminded of the big daddy of all these types of films. It's called Mirror (Zerkalo,1975) , a Russian film by Andrei Tarkovski dealing with just this theme but more fleshed out, more personal, more universal. A screening of it literaly seemed to rewire my brain one night (as it did for a friend who saw it once too) and make the entire world seem like a dream reality. The Nolan flick even has what seems like a reference to it.

I thought it was entertaining but nothing about it really blew me away. It was a fun movie, but nothing about any of the ideas it presented really made me think "whoa". I was kind of bummed when he tells her things can only be constructed to look normal. I was hoping for cooler trippy-er cities and environments. I kinda joked it was their excuse to be lazier about creativity in that regard and special effects.

I did really like the layers they built up and tracking them somewhat at the same time :-)

eXistenZ...a 2 hour metaphor for anal sex,come to think of it most things belched forth from the dehumanizing cesspool of the Holy-Wood "priest class" are metaphors for anal sex and veiled references of pedophilia with little scraps of thought provoking art thrown in here and there.

have a nice day

Definitively, it belongs to the off topic section.

I don't agree. I saw some spiritual concepts throughout the movie.

One of the sub plots of this multi faceted movie had you wondering if life was just a dream and when you got killed in that dream, you simply woke up. It was their meditation type training that allowed them to control their realities.

"I once dreamed I wad a butterfly. When I awoke, I did not know if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming I was a man."

- Chuang Tzu

As a movie I really really liked it. Also I got something meaningful from one particular part of the story, pretty overwhelming even..

Well worth it.

Guest paul walter

Thanks for the recommendation-I'll check it out!

Also,

Mirror,1975

Lost Highway, 1997

Mulholland Drive, 2001

Meshes of the Afternoon, 1943

The Sacrifice,1987

oh, and Inland Empire,2007

Edited by paul walter

I just had to mention this--

I LOVE 'Bladerunner', and think it is one of the best movies of all time. So much depth, and detail. They hardly make em like that anymore. Also, 'Waking life' is superb. '2001: A Space Odyssey' was good. Basically, all the films mentioned in the thread are great. You all have great taste in film, IMO.

I LOVE 'Bladerunner', and think it is one of the best movies of all time. So much depth, and detail.

And an owl. :D

Also, 'Waking life' is superb.

Yeah, enjoyed that one. They say they re-drew all of the pictures, but it looks so detailed in many scenes that I had the suspicion they used a computer-based special effect filter. At least I think the same could have been accomplished that way.

I'm the only person that I know of who didn't enjoy Inception.

You're not the only one: I thought it a wasted opportunity. It was effectively just a action flick involving three levels. yes I guess it would be too much to expect American mainstream movies to deal with philosophical issues, but I thought the idea (as identified by Di Carprio) that altering a person's dreams/mind will affect their entire being (or words to that effect) was screaming out for exploration.

Personal pick to continue to the theme is "The Wickerman" but the original (not the Nicholas Cage travesty): psychedelic folk music, pagan sacrifice and (most of all) Christopher Lee. I still can't get that film out of my mind.

Personal pick to continue to the theme is "The Wickerman" but the original (not the Nicholas Cage travesty): psychedelic folk music, pagan sacrifice and (most of all) Christopher Lee. I still can't get that film out of my mind.

Yeah, the money machine is in high gear, using old, popular names to fool people into wasting their money.

By the way, there's another remake with Nicholas Cage where I found the original to be more remarkable: Gone in 60 Seconds.

The original is >1,5 hours long, and the second half of it is ONE car chase! B)

Here's a one-picture-teaser. ;)

Edited by Hardyg

I am now quite convinced that David Lynch is a lazy director. You know, there's a market for everything, and when you produce a heap of senseless scenes and throw them together into a movie, the cluelessness of people will make them develop theories, and this is a marketing principle: People will talk and think about the movie without end, making you popular. It's the same with modern art where the painter, when asked about the meaning, says that everyone sees a different meaning in it, and it begins to shine through that indeed many people see a meaning in it, except for the painter himself. ;) And David Lynch WAS a painter!

Oh by the way... along these lines ... do you know The Postmodernism Generator? :lol:

Castaneda would be proud.

I've seen some shamanic movies, but this one beats them. I wonder when will they make a movie based on CC's books. With modern cinema skills, and a good director, it will surely be a BLAST.

That being said, the film isn't for idiots. It's filled with huge tips. You also need the background to 'catch' them, and more than that, to use them.

Edited by Little1

What you're looking for cannot be found in mainstream movies. I would suggest "Waking Life"

One of my all time fav's. Not as deep in the same sense, but still really good for my money, "Equilibrium 2002." Really good commentary on the "Hold it Down" emotional repression... "stay cool" culture of today. Also, some really great martial arts editing with a new creative martial arts with the use of a gun "shoot out" kata's. Though everyone has listed many of my all time fav's, this wasn't listed so I thought I'd put it up. :)

Edited by Vajrahridaya