effilang

Two sexy Iron Palm breaks

This thread needs a new title.

Those blocks were looking kind of flat, and this is supposed to be a "sexy" thread.

:P

I've always been impressed by those who can break the bottom brick/concrete slab and leave the one on top untouched. However, I have to say I was really impressed with the first break as I've never seen it done in such a manner. It looked very effortless and the break seemed extremely clean.

Great work and I'd like to see more!

Edited by donjitsu2

I've always been impressed by those who can break the bottom brick/concrete slab and leave the one on top untouched. However, I have to say I was really impressed with the first break as I've never seen it done in such a manner. It looked very effortless and the break seemed extremely clean.

Great work and I'd like to see more!

This is accomplished by chi -internal energy. He demonstrated marvelous use of his chi right here. Hard breakers or people who train with pure muscular force and pure mental strain usually have a hard time doing this. If anything they can break top to bottom but seldom select breaks within a stack.

This is quite similar to what we do in Kalimasada where we train to pop out the bottom of a glass bottle with a slap. You see it is so hard to break it with pure muscular force -the bottle is made of more solid material than the flesh of one's hand. But add a little chi and presto -bottom pops right out. My friend who lifts 250lbs on the bench press near broke his hand trying to do it. but if you gots the "juice" then its no biggie. its not your muscle -it's your chi! My teacher tells me of an elderly woman in Indonesia breaking an iron bar over her knee who is about a year senior than me in training. Amazing stuff really.

This thread needs a new title.

Those blocks were looking kind of flat, and this is supposed to be a "sexy" thread.

:P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As Bruce Lee said in Enter The Dragon- "Boards don't hit back"

I've never seen the point of breaking objects. It doesn't prove a thing.

Kids break stuff in TKD classes all the time.

I've never seen the point of breaking objects. It doesn't prove a thing.

Kids break stuff in TKD classes all the time.

TKD kids do selective board breaking all the time?

TKD kids do selective board breaking all the time?

I hate to rain on a very sexy thread.... actually, never mind. I'd make the thread even sexier by getting it wet ;)

There's a lot of trickery and tomfoolery that goes along with this breaking business. The stuff this guy was breaking was stuff that I broke in my karate class when I was 12. TWELVE. I remember it was for a belt test, and my teacher was like, "all right, time to break stuff". And I was like, "I can't do that!" I had very little leg strength. Barely any surface conditioning. And the thing was a freakin' cinder block slab.

But it was set up in just the right way, that as long as I hit it and followed through, I'd break it. Easily. I thought I was awesome. Then my mom did the same thing at home :( then my dad explained how it all worked :(

The point is, "selective board breaking"? Hm, I dunno. Especially the way that the second video was set up (I mean those blocks looked like they were barely on the support blocks).

So, yeah, breaks are cool. Yeah, they're flashy. Yeah, it's a neat idea to channel your chi through stuff and hit only a certain target, while leaving the stuff around it unharmed.

Is it going on in the video? Are there really people who can do it? Is there a simple trick behind it? Is it really qi power? Can people pull off a demonstration without making me suspicious of it within the first second?

Questions, questions.

I hope you all wet now. Even if it's just a little :)

And now it's time for the rain cloud to depart, please continue with your parade!

Breaking is important to test your technique and hands or feet at the same time helps to focus your mind!

Some like it some dont, just like forms vs formless....

Breaking is important to test your technique and hands or feet at the same time helps to focus your mind!

Some like it some dont, just like forms vs formless....

There's a difference between breaking for training and breaking for show.

Using tricks to help breaking during training is only going to cheat yourself. Quality over flashiness is better. It helps you see where you are in various attributes, and what you need to work on to get better. That's all well and good.

Breaking for show.... well that's when you get into a tricky area. Because the show break isn't meant for you. It's meant for other people. So there's pressure to make it cool and there's pressure to make sure it goes smoothly. You don't want to look like an idiot by failing a break in front of a bunch of people, which might make them not want to train your art (possibly under your instruction). And when that happens, most people are very tempted to cut corners. It's very easy to make a set up that is easy for you. It's easy to use some stage tricks.

I remain skeptical of breaking for showmanship because of the different motivations and the other factors which come into the equation over various other forms of breaking.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

D00d

If you are going to put up a title like that

then put on a nice looking lady with revealing

clothes doing the iron palm breaks.

Neither do heavy bags, Mook Jongs, or grappling dummies - but they are still useful training tools if you use them correctly. I don't think anyone is going to get rid of the above mentioned tools simply because they "don't hit back".

Breaking can have its place in a fighters routine so long as its purpose is clearly understood: Breaking is for teaching the correct method of focusing and delivering striking power. Nothing more, nothing less. It acts as an indicator of one's ability to properly deliver a strike. Are there better ways to achieve this? Sure. However, there aren't any other methods that can ALSO produce the same sort of psychological satisfaction the practitioner recieves from putting their fist through concrete. I've found this "psychological satisfaction" helps to positively reinforce one's training. It isn't for everyone but, again, that doesn't make it a useless practice.

FYI -

Train Hard,

Josh Skinner

Edited by donjitsu2