Sign in to follow this  
beoman

see white flickering after meditating

Sometimes, after I meditate for ~15 minutes, when I lie down and close my eyes I see pretty high frequency white flickering light. It flickers maybe 3-4 times/second. It's not very intensely bright, but definitely noticeable. Does anyone experience this / know what it is?

This has happened both when I meditated in Burmese and in Half-Lotus. I wasn't doing any qigong exercises or anything like that, but was just sitting (either that or counting breaths).

Sometimes, after I meditate for ~15 minutes, when I lie down and close my eyes I see pretty high frequency white flickering light. It flickers maybe 3-4 times/second. It's not very intensely bright, but definitely noticeable. Does anyone experience this / know what it is?

This has happened both when I meditated in Burmese and in Half-Lotus. I wasn't doing any qigong exercises or anything like that, but was just sitting (either that or counting breaths).

Yes, I've experienced this. You are seeing basically the sub-moments of your mind and seeing how your mind illumines each moment before it's perceived by the senses.

I dont think its such a big deal. Perhaps just an accelerated qiflow somehow disrupting the optical system. No fourth banana or whatever super holy state.

yeah that's just the chi in the brain activating the visual cortex. It's when you start seeing light with your eyes open that you're then transmitting the shen energy out of the pineal gland. Still if you're seeing lights internally that's an excellent sign of building up the chi energy.

What is Daniel Ingram's stance on the Rainbow Body?

Does he believe it is possible?

Don't know... since he is purely Theravadin Vipassana practitioner (and now also an Actualism ( http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/ ) practitioner) rather than Dzogchen, I don't think Rainbow Body is his goal. But I think he would be at least open minded about it.

But personally, I think it is definitely possible and not merely a belief since many have done it in the past and today, not once or a few times but on many occasions, with many eye witnesses and proof.

Check out Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's books, if you haven't. And good to receive his teachings... while he's still around (he's aging and I think the teaching role will gradually be transferred to his son).

Edited by xabir2005

I dont think its such a big deal. Perhaps just an accelerated qiflow somehow disrupting the optical system. No fourth banana or whatever super holy state.

4th nana (and the rest of the progression of nanas) is a very well documented state even in the ancient texts, a lot of practitioners have experienced the same thing - perceiving the arising and passing of phenomena and the bright lights, bliss, energetic phenomena, OBEs, lucid dreaming and meditating in dreams etc and other related A&P phenomena (the phenomena itself varies and what I listed are just some of my experiences - but usually bright lights will occur).

I myself have experienced this several times both in and outside of meditation and even while lucid dreaming and meditating in dreams, so I am very familiar with this experience.

There is little doubt that what beoman experienced was in fact the A&P.

p.s. A&P is not 'super holy' in the sense that it is not yet even the first stage of enlightenment or sotapanna - but the A&P will lead to the dark nights (5th~10th nana), and if you continue practicing/investigating vipassana further it can be followed by equanimity (11th nana), then fruition/nirvana - which means you then attain the first stage of enlightenment, sotapanna/stream-entry.

When I first described my experience to Daniel more than 2 years ago, here's what he replied:

"...I agree, those all sound very A&P. Those experiences by their nature do not sustain, they move on to what is next. As to what to do then, most people need retreats to get things strong enough to get to stream entry, but there are a few rare people that do it without retreats. Each time you cross the A&P you have a shot at stream entry, which will then fade until it arises again, either spontaneously or through practice. In the meantime, some version of the Dark Night/Dukkha Ñanas always follow the A&P like thunder follows lightening, like smoke follows fire. Each person is different in terms of how that will manifest, but some aspect of its perspective will be there.

What is it that you are trying to get out of this? What do you want to do?..."

A more detailed description of the A&P can be found at http://web.mac.com/danielmingram/iWeb/Daniel%20Ingram%27s%20Dharma%20Blog/The%20Blook/F46A4E80-C4FF-43C3-B6FF-5708E9E4CA15.html

Edited by xabir2005

hmm i'll take a look at the A&P thing. i don't think it was that, though, because really the only out of the ordinary thing was the strobing lights. and they're not particularly bright. Bliss - maybe. i had moments when I felt very good and felt i could see things very clearly =). But that also happened before, without the lights. lucid dreams i also have once in a while, but like my regular dreams, they're not very vivid, and i can barely control anything.

next time it happens i'll try thinking of it as chi and as sub-moments and see if i can gain any insight that way.

hmm i'll take a look at the A&P thing. i don't think it was that, though, because really the only out of the ordinary thing was the strobing lights. and they're not particularly bright. Bliss - maybe. i had moments when I felt very good and felt i could see things very clearly =). But that also happened before, without the lights. lucid dreams i also have once in a while, but like my regular dreams, they're not very vivid, and i can barely control anything.

next time it happens i'll try thinking of it as chi and as sub-moments and see if i can gain any insight that way.

In my understanding, what you described is very clear description of A&P. I also had many moments of bliss without bright lights (what exactly manifests will not be the same every time). Anyway this experience isn't that uncommon.

Anyway hope this helps, by Kenneth Folk (another dharma teacher who is one of Daniel's best friends)

http://kennethfolkdharma.wetpaint.com/page/The+Idiot%27s+Guide+to+Dharma+Diagnosis

The Idiot’s Guide to Diagnosing the 16 Insight Knowledges

One of the questions that yogis ask most often is “Where am I on the Theravada Progess of Insight map?” This is a legitimate question and there can be real benefit in knowing the answer. If you are able to align your own experience with the traditional descriptions of insight it helps you to have faith that this practice works, which in turn can motivate you to practice more. Furthermore, your teacher may suggest different practices depending on how far along you are in the process.

Below is a simple guide, designed to be “idiot-proof.” It only includes the most obvious landmarks along the way. Familiarize yourself with these diagnostic criteria and use them to place yourself on the map.

Case Study # 1:

Report: “My meditation used to be good, but now there’s nothing but solid pain when I sit. I sometimes feel nauseous and I want to leave the retreat."

Diagnosis: 3rd ñana, Knowledge of the Three Characteristics.

“But I also have all kinds of cool insights about this and that.”

Doesn’t matter. If you have persistent solid pain, you’re in the 3rd ñana.

Case Study # 2:

Report: “I had this incredible energy coursing through my body, tingled all over, saw white lights, and had unitive experiences.”

Diagnosis: 4th ñana, Knowledge of the Arising and Passing Away of Phenomena.

“But I had it while on drugs (or in a dream). I never even meditated.”

Doesn’t matter. 4th ñana. Have a nice day.

“But it was so real. I saw God. I know it was enlightenment.”

No, it was the 4th ñana.

Case Study # 3:

Report: “At some time in the past, I had white lights, unitive experiences and delightful tingles. Now my meditation sucks and I hate everything.”

Diagnosis: Dukkha ñanas 6-10, aka Dark Night of the Soul.

“But I feel super enlightened.”

Doesn’t matter. Dukkha ñanas. Thanks for asking.

Case Study # 4:

Report: I went through the 3rd, 4th, and dukkha ñanas (as described above) and now I feel fine every time I sit.

Diagnosis: 11th ñana, Knowledge of Equanimity.

“But I’m not having any insights.”

Right. Knowledge of Equanimity.

Case Study # 5:

Report: I went through the 3rd, 4th, dukkha ñanas, and Equanimity ñana, (as described above), and then one day I was just sitting (or standing, or walking), there was a little blip, and I knew that something was different. It was as though a weight had lifted from me. I felt light and wanted to laugh for a couple of days. After that, my practice was noticeably different than anything that had gone before.

Diagnosis: 14th and 15th ñana, Path and Fruition (1st Path).

“But it was no big deal. More like an anticlimax. But it’s clear that some cycle was completed.”

Exactly. Path and Fruition.

Kenneth Folk

Edited by xabir2005

Actually, what it does is it turns the physical karmas into a continuous condition of offering that is closer to this dimension. Most enlightened beings go into the higher energy dimensions which are harder for us dense, Earth bound people to connect to. But, enlightened beings who attain the rainbow body remain closer to Earth and are able to be revealed to us Earth bound beings much easier. So, it is a great and compassionate attainment. According to Buddhism, you have to be a high level Bodhisattva to connect to a Buddha on the Sambhogakaya level, but because a Buddha who turns his Nirmanakaya or physical emination of Buddha wisdom into the enlightened radiances of the physical elements in order to connect more easily with us, it is considered the highest level ability for an enlightened being to manifest compassion.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

(he's aging and I think the teaching role will gradually be transferred to his son).

Which is very interesting to see how he's developing. I'm finding more connection with him which is good. Even though I dread the day that ChNNR leaves us. But, in that good dread, so maybe dread is the wrong word, but more like... a deep sense of love miss.

His son though is going to develop into an incredible Master over the years and that is exciting for me as the responsability will get passed on and I think he will do very well with it.

heh that's awesome. very pithy! the book you linked looks very promising. i'm going to give it a good read. thanks for sharing!

I did have an experience closer to that. it was while on drugs, though, so i felt maybe it did not matter. but since your quote directly mentions it...

i had just read about tai chi qigong, how the energy courses through your body, warms your blood, warms your bones, etc. i got quite high (although off very little, albeit potent, stuff) and felt what must have been what they were describing. i could feel my spine warming from the base all the way to the top of my head. this happened 2 or 3 times, each time getting warmer. i could feel lots of energy coursing through my body. the book i read said to imagine energy at your qi cavities as 3 inches in diameter when inhaling, shrinking to 1/2 inch when exhaling, and i could easily feel this phenomenon. also even though my eyes closed i felt that my vision was brightening.

well, it was a lot of fun, but I thought not to put too much stake in experiences while not sober. i'll read about these nanas in any case and see if i am moving along this map

note this happened after the strobing effect. (actually just yesterday). the strobing effect was from a few days ago, and a few weeks before that

In my understanding, what you described is very clear description of A&P.

Reading the book, I dont think I went through the 1st 3 nanas..

First three nanas tend to be less mind-blowing and noticeable than the 4th even if they did occur. It is usually the 4th that make a big impression in people's mind and sets them on a spiritual search (if they do not have prior spiritual training - like a spontaneous A&P which happened to many including Daniel).

Which is very interesting to see how he's developing. I'm finding more connection with him which is good. Even though I dread the day that ChNNR leaves us. But, in that good dread, so maybe dread is the wrong word, but more like... a deep sense of love miss.

His son though is going to develop into an incredible Master over the years and that is exciting for me as the responsability will get passed on and I think he will do very well with it.

Agree... :)

Sign in to follow this