Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Taoist Philosophy

That's very applicable to all kinds of ambitious action isn't it Marblehead.

It's very true too, really sacrificing for something that actually won't bring much actual internal benefit except a bolstering of the ego. When all that happens is a person causes themselves pain in some way.

Sometimes, like you said, being sagely is simply knowing what and what isn't worth striving/sacrificing for.

Sometimes, like you said, being sagely is simply knowing what is and what isn't worth striving/sacrificing for.

Yeah, I think it was thoughts like this that led me to my statement: "Everything matters but nothing matters."

In my more senior years (hehehe. I ain't gonna say 'old age') I find that the most important things in my life are those things that bring me inner peace and contentment.

To have a million dollars would be nice but if one hundred dollars satisfies my needs then the excess doesn't really matter, does it? Same thing with most, if not all, things in life.

Peace & Love!

I think that being at peace with once's own life and finding tranquility within one's own head are building blocks of contentment. (I also find that most people don't learn this until later in life, if at all...)

Yeah. And you know what? It only took about fifty years of living to realize that. Hehehe.

When I look back over my earlier life I can see that the knowledge of this was always there. I just didn't realize it. Why do some things take so long to learn? Ha! I have no idea. The Way of Tao is not always understandable through reason and logic.

Of course, I am comfortable in my retirement so I do have an advantage over some.

But life will go on with or without me so I am going to hang in there as long as I can because I don't want to miss out on anything.

Peace & Love!

Wonderful, Marblehead! Thank you! (Nice timing too, BTW.)

I think that being at peace with one's own life and finding tranquility within one's own head are building blocks of contentment. (I also find that most people don't learn this until later in life, if at all...)

Yep absolutely ... I second the above .....

Reminds me of Lao Tzu's: "Those who are content are rich."

And as you said Marblehead, contentment can be achieved with next to nothing (basics only) and I once heard of a millionaire who had horrid health problems .... so no guarantee of contentment through that.

If one can achieve contentment given their personal situation, then they are truly rich!! And the Tao is a big help in that direction.

have a good one!!

Apparently in another thread it was noted that we followers of "Taoism" tend not to debate much so.........

With things;

Some go forward, others follow.

Some blow hot while others blow cold.

Some are firm and strong, others submissive and weak.

Some rise up while others fall down.

Therefore the Sage rejects the extreme,

The excessive, and the extravagant.

I agree

frat_boy.jpg

(in an extravagant fashion :lol:)

I agree

(in an extravagant fashion :lol:)

Hehehe. Yeah, that was extravagant but thanks for the input.

I get that way on occasion but there really is a purpose for it when I do so. But then I have never considered myself a sage so I don't need to be held accountable for those times. Hehehe.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this