RiverSnake

Silence is Golden...So shut up

I found this excerpt from Daniel Reid's Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing: Guarding the Three Treasures. Thought it was interesting. Enjoy

"In some Asian traditions, such as the Tibetan, energy is often referred to as speach. That's because speech expends a tremendous amount of breath and energy, and unless ot comes out in the form of mantras, chants, or prayers, speech is usually undisciplined, uneven, and often unnecessary. The 'motor mouth' syndrome which seems to infect many people in crowded urban environments exhausts energy reserves and can actually lower resistance and impair immunity.

As the Tao master and martial artist Chang San-feng said 600 years ago: 'Forget about words and your energy won't scatter.' The Taoist adept and writer Liu I-ming agrees: 'When the mouth speaks, energy scatters.' 'Unless you have something important to say, it's always best to keep your lips buttoned because idle gossip and marathon monologues are like leaking tyres: they permit you energy to escape and leave you flat. Silence is an effective way to conserve energy for more important internal uses.

An ancient Chinese adage says: 'Disease comes through the mouth; disaster come out through the mouth.' The first is obvious: open mouths invite germs, dust, and airborne toxins to enter our own personal systems. The second cause refers to the fact that we often create our own personal disasters by talking too much and too carelessly, thereby offending others, revealing things about ourselves that would be better kep secret, making bad impressions on people, and so forth.

So choose your words careful, speak softly, and don't say anymore than necessary."

-So the next time some one tells you to shut say "thank you". :D

-Peace

Two quotes from Chuang Tzu

Once you and I have started arguing, if you win and I lose, then are you really right and am I really wrong? If I win and you lose, then am I really right and are you really wrong? Is one of us right and the other wrong? Or are both of us right and both of us wrong?... Whom shall we get to set us right?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits; when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find someone who‟s forgotten the words so I can have a word with him?

I found this excerpt from Daniel Reid's Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing: Guarding the Three Treasures. Thought it was interesting. Enjoy

"In some Asian traditions, such as the Tibetan, energy is often referred to as speach. That's because speech expends a tremendous amount of breath and energy, and unless ot comes out in the form of mantras, chants, or prayers, speech is usually undisciplined, uneven, and often unnecessary. The 'motor mouth' syndrome which seems to infect many people in crowded urban environments exhausts energy reserves and can actually lower resistance and impair immunity.

As the Tao master and martial artist Chang San-feng said 600 years ago: 'Forget about words and your energy won't scatter.' The Taoist adept and writer Liu I-ming agrees: 'When the mouth speaks, energy scatters.' 'Unless you have something important to say, it's always best to keep your lips buttoned because idle gossip and marathon monologues are like leaking tyres: they permit you energy to escape and leave you flat. Silence is an effective way to conserve energy for more important internal uses.

An ancient Chinese adage says: 'Disease comes through the mouth; disaster come out through the mouth.' The first is obvious: open mouths invite germs, dust, and airborne toxins to enter our own personal systems. The second cause refers to the fact that we often create our own personal disasters by talking too much and too carelessly, thereby offending others, revealing things about ourselves that would be better kep secret, making bad impressions on people, and so forth.

So choose your words careful, speak softly, and don't say anymore than necessary."

-So the next time some one tells you to shut say "thank you". :D

-Peace

Shut the fuck up. You should have taken your own advice before you even opened a thread.

Hmmm...I vote true/not true. For someone like Meher Baba, very true. But not everyone can reach that level of discipline. For some, talking is a form of bridging the heart and head and to speak the truth makes them shine. Maya Angelou comes to mind. Even small amounts of idle chatter can decrease inhibitions in many...break the ice. Of course, it can be corrupted, like anything else. And vocalizing can create an energy leak for some. Context is important. Like the study years ago showing a 40% decrease in secretory IGA in subjects that cuss, leading to immune deficiencies. Cultural/organism environment specific. Some would have the opposite reaction or no effect at all, depending on how they are wired. Anyways...

IMO the eyes create a greater energy leak for most than the mouth. I challenge anyone here, to stop all reading for one month (except for traffic signs) and see if you don't look and feel a year younger. Younger, feel better, and slightly dumber. (J/K about the dumber part, the rest is true though, honest) :)

But then when we look to nature we see that there are time when the winds are silent and there are other times when they blow with great fierceness and othertimes they are soft and gentle.

While silence may be golden a well-spoken statement of truth can be the most important thing we will ever hear.

So rave on, dear friends. But as with all things we do, we should not over-do it. Just enough is generally enough.

Peace & Love!

Replace thoughtful words with thoughtless action

Yes. The perfect state, IMO. But how many of us have attained this state? I know I haven't.

Peace & Love!

Yes. The perfect state, IMO. But how many of us have attained this state? I know I haven't.

Peace & Love!

My dog has had this state from birth.

My dog has had this state from birth.

Good belly laugh. One of my cats is the same way. (The other one is just weird.)

Peace & Love!

I imagine that silence pertains to shutting of influx of information (like the internet), as well as posting a lot of commentary on the internet.

Nice thread - laughter is the best conversation stopper...

To silence another, first be silent yourself. ~Latin Proverb

Yes, silence is golden. But oftentimes it is a sign of indecision. Say something, even if it is wrong.

Peace & Love!

Meh. How many of our words are good things we say to each other? How many of our words are good things we say to ourselves?

Silence is golden because it cuts through the BS. But becoming silent ain't easy, IMO (--sees own rhetoric and laughs and cries a little---)

"One of the lessons of history is that

nothing is often a good thing to do and

always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

post-51155-127993707607_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the smile Swami-ji

Edited by 3bob