Sign in to follow this  
DanC

Post Meditation and moods

I have been noticing that after my morning seated emptiness meditation I feel my mood isnt as

good as it was before I meditated, generally I feel really relaxed but I find that I am a little agro

with people sometimes. This bothers me as the entire point of my meditation is to be relaxed and

more tranquil after my meditation, anyone else experience this, I also do a self massage after my

meditation. Im thinking I may try a different meditation eg MCO, brain cleansing or inner colours or maybe

a moving form of Chi Kung instead and monitor how I feel afterwards.

Daniel

My understanding of it is quite limited but I remember Bodri saying how there are different stages you go through in emptiness meditation. For example, and I have been going through this myself last few days, when you practice regularly and do retention then alot of qi starts to come up and at first it's like it is very volitile. For example, someone says something at work that you generally would let slide by but you instead go off on them with all this qi and realize later it was probably unnessary.

My guess is as you continue with meditation(maybe might take years) you everntuially start to smooth out all the qi instead of it running wildly through your system opening up channels. When the qi is smoothed out and your channels are opened up then the jing transforms to qi and shen. atleast that's how I rememebr Bodri explains it.

Max or Plato might have more to say on that.

Also, I have written about it before but I get alot of benifit from Tao in a Bottle product from dragonherbs. it is a 'shen stabilizer' and if I am feeling to much qi or just generally moody it usually does the trick to help balance that out.

Edited by Cameron

Yogani is the shit!!!!

Reentry to the physical realm is what gets you out of kilter and a wee nap is the answer.

It's like babies when they are born, they are out of kilter for the first 4 months or so. Same thing. Kinda pisses you off that you aren't infinite anymore.

And that's why death is so much damn fun-- Japanese teenagers, INXS singers, Vikings, and other flatliners are way into it.

Ill add a 5 minute relax period after meditating so I can come back to reality, I must admit I really

did feel as though I had some Chi coursing through my body straight afterwards and I just felt a little

charged up and angry, it makes sense to take a while to come back to your senses once you have finished

such a tranquil and cleansing practice.

[quote name='DanC' date='Apr 14 2006, 01:54 PM' post='12854' ... it makes sense to take a while to come back to your senses once you have finished

such a tranquil and cleansing practice.

Ive just found this out for myself this morning.Today,for the first time,I added about 7 minutes of Yogani's spinal breathing to my usual morning Sit(felt it was time to add alchemical dabblings to my "contemplative" approach).Promptly stood up afterwards to go chat to a housemate,felt way more relaxed than usual,till I started talking,then suddenly got a headache!NEVER happened before!Transitions usually been smooth.Adding the spinal breathing certainly took me deeper,& that was my first attempt :blink: Should have taken some quiet time,the discomfort hung round a lot longer than necessary.But now I have some inkling of how potent this stuff will be,VERY encouraging :lol: Regards,Cloud.

Most zen pracititoners do walking meditation between rounds of sitting. You either walk very slowly(Soto) or very fast(Rinzai) around the room for a few minutes. Basically walking zazen.

Most zen pracititoners do walking meditation between rounds of sitting. You either walk very slowly(Soto) or very fast(Rinzai) around the room for a few minutes. Basically walking zazen.

Not experienced in any depth with walking zazen.Have only used it to maintain mindfulness between sits & it never took me as deep as Sitting.Does it have any particular effect on ones energy that would smooth transition? :) Regards,Cloud.

Maybe 5 minutes of stretching after meditating would do the job, just to open up the channels and to get

the Chi flowing into the limbs, follow that up with a full body massage to disperse any stagnent chi and spread chi through the entire body.

Two suggestions:

One, as people have said, do something straight after. I'd suggest a bit of flushy-downy movements.

Two, end the meditation at a stage where it's "easy". I don't know how it applies to emptiness meditation, as what I do is very body focussed, but the idea is to stop when you feel good, not when everything is painful and lumpy.

Alternatively, use the irritation as another chance to practice.

At least it suggests that your meditation is doing something.

Happy crucifiction time everyone.

I

Maybe 5 minutes of stretching after meditating would do the job, just to open up the channels and to get

the Chi flowing into the limbs, follow that up with a full body massage to disperse any stagnent chi and spread chi through the entire body.

There are various approaches to post meditation transition. Some qigong instructors say to rub your hands over each part of the body to "bring the chi to the surface" others say to hit your limbs and torso to wake the body back up. There are various approaches, shaking, streching, etc but the few minutes rest at the end works well for me. Its easy to tell when youve had enough and are ready to get up.

Not experienced in any depth with walking zazen.Have only used it to maintain mindfulness between sits & it never took me as deep as Sitting.Does it have any particular effect on ones energy that would smooth transition? :) Regards,Cloud.

I will practice walking meditation from Yiquan sometimes after standing mediitation. Cohen says it helps circulate qi. This would probably be especially important for monks who do zazen all day to keep circulation good.

IMO anything can be a doorway to samadhi or enlightenment it's not so much what you are doing but where the mind is at. I am no authority on the subject but that is my take on things at the moment.

Edited by Cameron

My experience is that the anger is an unintegrated part, that leaps up once I've stopped doing a focussed formal meditation. I include "emptiness" meditation as focused and formal, because none of us really know emptiness, so what we typically do is force some sense of emptiness upon ourselves!

My solution is to not try for emptiness, not try to drop things, but to smile and say "hi" to all things. I notice feelings and emotions in my body and smile to them and say hello.

The smile itself, though, can become a distorted energy, so I cycle through five smiles. The first thing I notice, I smile to with heart energy when "I" say hi, the next thing with earth energy, the next with metal, then water, then wood, then fire etc. as I go through the creation cycle.

Let's say there is some heavy feeling in my head, I smile fire to it as I also feel fire in my heart and I say a wam and loving "hi". Then, whatever I notice next, I smile to it with Earth energy, and at the same time allow the earth collection point in the LTT area pulse with earth energy and say a fair and music-making "hi". etc.

If I feel I don't like the process, or am rushing the process, I notice where that feeling is in me, and smile and say hi to it.

If I notice that everything I am noticing is in my head, then I add another cycle: first head, then torso, then legs/feet, then head etc.

After awhile, all of the energies are glowing, all parts of me are feeling acknowledged, and the process follows me as I leave the meditation and go to work etc.

Now, I have to go smile and say hi to the many parts of me that react to highway traffic!

I have been noticing that after my morning seated emptiness meditation I feel my mood isnt as

good as it was before I meditated, generally I feel really relaxed but I find that I am a little agro

with people sometimes.

Sometimes the result of meditation has been that my subtle body is more open, active, refined - and part of this is that it is more sensitive. Other peoples' vibe are then relative coarse, somewhat painful and annoying to be around, disrupt the energetics that were being cultivated through the meditation. Mystics tend to be reclusive.

Sign in to follow this