adept

Daoist Secret of the Six Healing Sounds

Dao Chang Lu Tzu Chueh – Daoist Secret of the Six Healing Sounds.Six Healing Sounds.

1) Ho = Heart.
2) Hu = Spleen.
3) Szu (i.e. ssss) = Lungs.
4) Hsu (i.e. xu) = Liver.
5) His (i.e. hissss) = Stomuch.
6) Ch’ui (i.e. chu-way) = Kidneys.

This exercise is performed in a seated position, with natural breathing throughout. Clean, fresh qi, or ‘vital energy’ is breathed into each of the six organs, and old qi is breathed out. The ancient text advises that one faces east – the direction where all things begin. The window should be open, but draughts should be avoided. The exercise should be performed between midnight and midday, the positive yang – but anytime can be beneficial. For best results however, between midnight and midday is preferred.

With the thumb and finger of the right hand, rub all the fingers of the left hand. With the thumb and finger of the left hand, rub all the fingers of the right hand. Massage the face, nose and eyes by gently rubbing with the fingers of both hands, including the ear area. Place the palms over the ears, with the fingers resting on the back of the head. With the index fingers tap 6 or 36 times on the back of the neck.

Knock the teetn together 6 or 36 times. Move the tongue around the mouth 6 or 36 times, making and retaining saliva in the mouth. Swallow the saliva in three gulps and imagine in your Mind’s Eye, the saliva as a ball of qi energy travelling down to beneath the navel.

You are now ready to perform the breaths. Breath in fully through the nose, and then exhale making the elongated sound of ‘ho’. As you do so, you will feel as if negative energy is leaving the heart area, and being replaced by positive energy. Perform the sound 6 or 36 times, depending upon requirement. It is exactly the same for the other 5 sounds. The sound maybe loud or gentle. When the exercise is completed, remain seated for a few minutes breathing in and out the nose. You may then go about your day.

This exercise was developed by Daoist immortals who lived in the hills of ancient China. They were used to keep the Mind and body fit when in seclusion, particularly if that seclusion was harsh, with cold weather and lack of food. Results maybe expect more or less straightaway. The organs are cleaned and invigorated.

Lineage: Daoist Master Chao Pi Ch’en (born 1860).
Charles Luk (Lu Kuan Yu) studied and presents this masters works in his book ‘Taoist Yoga’ – translated from the Chinese. Luk also translates important Daoist texts is his The Secret of Chinese Meditation.
Richard Hunn (Wen Shu) preserved and passed on Luk’s teachings to Shi Da Dao (Heng Yu).

Edited by adept
  • Like 1

I've always thought the heart was haaaAAAhhh. Its presented that way in the Healing Tao system, as well as a few other Chinese presentations. It also connects to some Kabalic sacred sound system I work with.

For the liver I'm used to SShhhhhhhhhh. Sometimes, particularly translating the Chinese spellings are strange, but the sound is actually the same. Or maybe its like the Animal Frolicking series of chi gung exercises where different systems are an animal or two apart.

Michael

No Zen stuff anymore?

Well, a lot of Chinese Zen (Ch'an) practitioners also used Daoist methods to keep the body fit, strong and healthy, which obviously helped in their meditation.

When we remove the 'labels', there just IS.

I've always thought the heart was haaaAAAhhh. Its presented that way in the Healing Tao system, as well as a few other Chinese presentations. It also connects to some Kabalic sacred sound system I work with.

For the liver I'm used to SShhhhhhhhhh. Sometimes, particularly translating the Chinese spellings are strange, but the sound is actually the same. Or maybe its like the Animal Frolicking series of chi gung exercises where different systems are an animal or two apart.

Michael

There are different ways of pronouncing the sounds, I'm just highlighting one method.

There are others here.

There are different ways of pronouncing the sounds, I'm just highlighting one method.

There are others here.

Thanks Adept, I study sacred sounds and that's a nice comparison of contemporary master's use of them.

We had a post on the Pangu qi gong form and there was a writer who had good experience with 3 different master's teachings who could compare and contrast very well. Great learning tool.

Michael