Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

Started to study Tai Chi on my own. Suggestions?

Listen to your body.

I've studied tai chi and qigong on my own since I started (mostly qigong nowadays), and I cannot stress this enough- your body has natural ways of moving, and it WANTS to move in those ways. If you get your mind out of the way, if you discard notions of how you "think" you should be moving, your body will take over and do what is naturally healthy for it.

Tai chi, from its very beginnings, was designed around the idea that a martial art should mix well with the way the body naturally wants to move and should cause as little conflict as possible. That said, most of the work is done for you- all the moves and whatnot are there, you just have to do them. The work that YOU have to do is listen to your body and adapt the moves to your body.

Now this doesn't mean break the rules and do some other crazy techniques to throw your body out of alignment. Just keep all the principles in mind, do the moves, listen to your body (this involves more of letting your body tell you what to do, rather than your mind telling your body what to do), and you will be fine.

(and please don't listen to anyone who says you can't do it on your own, that you will fail on your own, or some other horrible fate should you not train with a teacher!!!)

Here is a decent warm up sequence:

It's not the Fa Soong Gong that I teach but this will do. The first objective for beginners is to loosen the body (Soong) and create some internal coordination.

Enjoy your Taiji journey ;)

Listen to your body.

I've studied tai chi and qigong on my own since I started (mostly qigong nowadays), and I cannot stress this enough- your body has natural ways of moving, and it WANTS to move in those ways. If you get your mind out of the way, if you discard notions of how you "think" you should be moving, your body will take over and do what is naturally healthy for it.

Tai chi, from its very beginnings, was designed around the idea that a martial art should mix well with the way the body naturally wants to move and should cause as little conflict as possible. That said, most of the work is done for you- all the moves and whatnot are there, you just have to do them. The work that YOU have to do is listen to your body and adapt the moves to your body.

Now this doesn't mean break the rules and do some other crazy techniques to throw your body out of alignment. Just keep all the principles in mind, do the moves, listen to your body (this involves more of letting your body tell you what to do, rather than your mind telling your body what to do), and you will be fine.

(and please don't listen to anyone who says you can't do it on your own, that you will fail on your own, or some other horrible fate should you not train with a teacher!!!)

Thank you!

Here is a decent warm up sequence:

It's not the Fa Soong Gong that I teach but this will do. The first objective for beginners is to loosen the body (Soong) and create some internal coordination.

Enjoy your Taiji journey ;)

Thank you!

Listen to your body.

Funny you bring this up, I was debating if I should go with a teacher.

However, I have been doing it on my own for a few months and things have been working out pretty well so far.

Thanks again!

Funny you bring this up, I was debating if I should go with a teacher.

However, I have been doing it on my own for a few months and things have been working out pretty well so far.

Thanks again!

Eh, I mean, do the research on the teacher. I've always had high standards for any teacher I sought out. I've always had high standards for what I wanted to accomplish in the martial arts. There are a lot of teachers that really only know the surface level. They'll teach you the motions and.... really, there are plenty of great books and DVD's that will teach you just the movement, and those usually range between $20-$60, one time payment, whereas I've seen places that charge at least $50 for two classes a month that teach half of the material you'd get in a book. There are lots of great, very high level teachers that have put their teachings in print or DVD format, where you get form training + tips + insights + philosophy.

There's a LOT of really excellent material out in print. A lot more than people realize.

If the teacher is really good, spend some time and see what they have to offer. If it's just people going through the motions..... eh, you can save a lot of money just by doing it on your own.

never abandon the 'natural flow' sensibility as sloppy zhang described. that's the heart and soul of my movement practices, and believe it to be the crucible of what sets me apart from other teachers who have decades more experience. it simply cannot be emphasized enough.

that having been said,

there is only ONE video that i would recommend. it only goes through the first 17 movements of the yang form, but the way that it's broken down & the flow of the teacher is just amazing, if you ask me. if you already know that you're naturally talented with this kind of art, then everything you need to know, and by that i mean all the tweaks & adjustments which might not be immediately intuitive, is in this video.

I even ended up calling him to praise him directly for such a great video.

http://www.amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Connections-YMAA-Taijiquan/dp/B000JSDMNA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

my amazon review:

John Loupos has to be one of the best tai chi masters in the country. seriously.

read my other reviews. i don't pull punches when it comes to criticism. but this video is truly one of the best instructional DVD's out there. his explanations and corrections are better than any in-person instructor i've ever met. his movements are flawless, and yet not too rigid. he's very thorough and clear as he breaks down the first 17 movements of the yang long form.

i only wish that he would make a video of the ENTIRE long form. i have no doubt that it would be the best on the market.

people really need to find out about this guy. i'm a qigong instructor in california, and i'm thinking of traveling to the east coast to study with him for a while. he's that good!

never abandon the 'natural flow' sensibility as sloppy zhang described. that's the heart and soul of my movement practices, and believe it to be the crucible of what sets me apart from other teachers who have decades more experience. it simply cannot be emphasized enough.

that having been said,

there is only ONE video that i would recommend. it only goes through the first 17 movements of the yang form, but the way that it's broken down & the flow of the teacher is just amazing, if you ask me. if you already know that you're naturally talented with this kind of art, then everything you need to know, and by that i mean all the tweaks & adjustments which might not be immediately intuitive, is in this video.

I even ended up calling him to praise him directly for such a great video.

http://www.amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Connections-YMAA-Taijiquan/dp/B000JSDMNA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

my amazon review:

John Loupos has to be one of the best tai chi masters in the country. seriously.

read my other reviews. i don't pull punches when it comes to criticism. but this video is truly one of the best instructional DVD's out there. his explanations and corrections are better than any in-person instructor i've ever met. his movements are flawless, and yet not too rigid. he's very thorough and clear as he breaks down the first 17 movements of the yang long form.

i only wish that he would make a video of the ENTIRE long form. i have no doubt that it would be the best on the market.

people really need to find out about this guy. i'm a qigong instructor in california, and i'm thinking of traveling to the east coast to study with him for a while. he's that good!

Thank you!

Is there a link to that video?

Thank you!

Is there a link to that video?

:blink:

yeah, i posted the link just above my amazon review. i'll post it again in a hyperlink:

Tai Chi Connections

and just for the record,

i think i'm starting to develop a man-crush on sloppy zhang. :lol: it's crazy to me how aligned so many of our views and theories tend to be.

EDIT:

Youtube Intro

Edited by Hundun

:blink:

yeah, i posted the link just above my amazon review. i'll post it again in a hyperlink:

Tai Chi Connections

and just for the record,

i think i'm starting to develop a man-crush on sloppy zhang. :lol: it's crazy to me how aligned so many of our views and theories tend to be.

EDIT:

Youtube Intro

Lol!

Thank you!

Lol!

Thank you!

no prob. it's one of the 10 best instructional videos i own, and i own more than 100.

btw, if someone can properly post the youtube link, i would be grateful. ;)

and just for the record,

It's good to know my posts are being read! Thank you :)

Get a teacher.

Unless one is gifted in body movement - alignment etc. it is very difficult to learn properly on your own.

The thing about tai chi is that it feels good no matter how you are doing it.

This makes it difficult to know what you are doing.

There are subtleties which can only be transmitted by a teacher.

IMHO it is a waste of time.

If you insist on learning on your own have videos taken so you might be able to see what you look like.

I recommend videos from classical tai chi as well as Hundun's suggestion.

I have studied with some good teachers, but never got this info from anyone live. This is good stuff. Since you appreciate nei gong, I know you would like this.

Bill

Edited by tumoessence

Hi guys, I am also in the interest stage of deciding what to do with Tai chi. When it comes to practicing on your own I have a few questions.

First, The DVD that was recommended "Tai chi connections." It was said that there were only 17 forms is this a bad thing? Is more better is is less more?

Second, When you learn these forms, as the DVD is over 2 hours long. Do you just run through them...or as a previous Taobum said "go through the motions" or is there like a specific order that you go through each one with?

Third, How do you know when you are ready to learn new forms? Also since this is specifically taught by John Loupos. When you learn new forms that aren't available to be taught from him do you have to learn like a new style just to get in more forms?

Fourth, How well does Tai chi practice mix with sitting formal meditation...Will it accelerate us on a spiritual practice...Will it be a catalyst in mindfulness and purification?

Also a note...Shinzen Young (Science of Enlightenment author) Said that the moving meditations are great but the true barometer of Happiness indpendent of conditions is sitting meditation because if someone who was doing these movement based mediations were to do that and they get bored then they still are not happy independent of conditions. Do you guys agree?

thanks in advance...This thread seems very helpful

Hi guys, I am also in the interest stage of deciding what to do with Tai chi. When it comes to practicing on your own I have a few questions.

First, The DVD that was recommended "Tai chi connections." It was said that there were only 17 forms is this a bad thing? Is more better is is less more?

Second, When you learn these forms, as the DVD is over 2 hours long. Do you just run through them...or as a previous Taobum said "go through the motions" or is there like a specific order that you go through each one with?

Third, How do you know when you are ready to learn new forms? Also since this is specifically taught by John Loupos. When you learn new forms that aren't available to be taught from him do you have to learn like a new style just to get in more forms?

Fourth, How well does Tai chi practice mix with sitting formal meditation...Will it accelerate us on a spiritual practice...Will it be a catalyst in mindfulness and purification?

Also a note...Shinzen Young (Science of Enlightenment author) Said that the moving meditations are great but the true barometer of Happiness indpendent of conditions is sitting meditation because if someone who was doing these movement based mediations were to do that and they get bored then they still are not happy independent of conditions. Do you guys agree?

Some more reasons why one should have a teacher.

You are asking questions, however, you don't really know who the answers are coming from and the accuracy of the answers.

Online everyone is an expert.

Like in any other arts or science, the foundation is really important in taiji. Once you have gotten the foundation, you can move forward on your own. But in the beginning it is critical to have a good teacher.

If you start on your own, you'll have to re-learn the whole thing anyway unless you are VERY talented in body movements and coordination.

So many times I've watched new students coming to the class thinking 'what's so special in this taiji that I need a teacher' and who wouldn't be able to make even one simple step in a proper way.

# 1 I like longer forms for the immersion but for beginning, less is more. But in the longer sequences there is lots of repition and the more you do the easier it is to do learn.

#2 There will be a specific order and the sequence makes sense which your body learns to recognize.

#3 You must decide when you are ready. It doesn't matter that the moves are perfect. Over time the sense that your body gains about what the principles of tai chi are creates a feedback loop so that to some extent, tai chi can become self correcting. But this takes years, and develops when you can commit to this being a lifetime endeavor. This tai chi sense does translate to other forms, but usually in terms of what is taught as to what is"internal" from your first form. Unless the "internal" of something new supercedes the old.

#4 Moving meditation doesn't replace sitting. But you can learn a lot about sitting from the moving. "movement comes from stillness, and stillness comes from movement" if I am summarizing the quote correctly. After form practice I am very much inclined to just sit. I find the stillness is just there in a very organic and not forced way. I think it is a great catalyst.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I have a question too.

Hey guys, I've decided to learn Mandarin Chinese on my own. Not interested in going the "traditional" route by taking a class, or practicing with native speakers. Those are unnecessary because we live in modern times.

I do have a book with the principles of speaking Chinese. So I'm just going to dive in, and do what feels right.

Any tips?

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I have a question too.

Hey guys, I've decided to learn Mandarin Chinese on my own. Not interested in going the "traditional" route by taking a class, or practicing with native speakers. Those are unnecessary because we live in modern times.

I do have a book with the principles of speaking Chinese. So I'm just going to dive in, and do what feels right.

Any tips?

You would probably need a DVD that would show how to move the lips and the tongue while talking.

Sign in to follow this