Sign in to follow this  
NeiChuan

Pain at the base of neck

Yeah well basically during an asana last night I started to get a pain at the base of my neck, and I guess in my throat alittle. It wasn't to painful, but very noticable.

I did some meditating/breathwork, and it went away.

Its happened a few times so far.

Any ideas?

Yeah well basically during an asana last night I started to get a pain at the base of my neck, and I guess in my throat alittle. It wasn't to painful, but very noticable.

Any ideas?

I occasionally notice during extended sitting sessions that I begin to tighten up around my neck and shoulders in strange ways... in my own experience, such pain is just an indication that I need to relax those muscles and return to the proper, noble posture.

I occasionally notice during extended sitting sessions that I begin to tighten up around my neck and shoulders in strange ways... in my own experience, such pain is just an indication that I need to relax those muscles and return to the proper, noble posture.

Hm yeah I may have had my chest out a bit too much. Ya know trying to keep the back straight.

Hm yeah I may have had my chest out a bit too much. Ya know trying to keep the back straight.

I find imagining pulling up from the crown and down from the root helps to align my spine properly without resorting to anything too exotic to attain and maintain the proper position... But I've recently began reversing the internal,visual dynamic so that the crown is extending down(not passive, but driving down) through the body and through the root, deep into the earth.. and the root is spiraling up through my body and crown and into the heavens.. You become a "balanced" column of heaven and earth, as it were... I've found that maintaining this visual in the back of my mind has done wonders in terms of keeping me mindful, present, and in the noble posture, both in and out of meditation...

..If I visualize these two polarities intermingling and exchanging in a passive manner, then my body/spine begins to close in on itself.. so I think it's important to imagine a certain degree of power while this is happening so that the body extends through itself and doesn't cave in.

edit for re-emphasis on passive/active

Edited by balance.

Any ideas?

I have had this kind of pain and my teacher suggests chanting root sounds (like "mmmm"), stretching as long as possible to create vibrations that will open up channels and resolve the problem. That is provided it is a channel-blockage issue and not a bio-mechanical one...

Sign in to follow this