mentalground0

mama-ing and meditation

i think anyone with kids can agree that meditation is essential for being a sane parent ;)

but i'm wondering if anyone has info on energy work while you still have an infant. not just finding the time and space to do it, but how it will affect the little one (LO).

i didn't do anything but some quiet sitting/contemplation while pregnant - anything else felt like it would have been too much for my LO growing inside me. and it turns out he's a fairly sensitive little guy so i guess i was right.

we're still nursing at eight months old and i've been feeling the old surges to practice, but i'm wondering if he'll get affected through mama milk or because he is carried by me most of the day.

there's not a lot of info in taoist texts about pregnancy and even less about breastfeeding. damn patriarchy ;):lol:

I used to walk around with my son with energy circulating and enhanced at the heart area singing stupid songs or surrounding him with heart energy and expanded feeling of love and energy as I put him to bed. I still do but much less intentional these days. He is a wonderful human being at twelve. I think he always has been too.

Bill

Oh and no tv

Edited by tumoessence

THe book Hidden dangers og yoga and meditation has a bit about the effect on your children. Primarily the adivce was to not be physically close to them when doing hardcore kundalini stuff etc. And that they also can get spacey of you do stillness type meditation for a long time wile the children are just near by. He said a bit more too but I can`t remember. There should be some traditional advice on this stuff in the Indian and Chineese traditions.

The book is by Del Pe

Edited by markern

i think anyone with kids can agree that meditation is essential for being a sane parent ;)

but i'm wondering if anyone has info on energy work while you still have an infant. not just finding the time and space to do it, but how it will affect the little one (LO).

i didn't do anything but some quiet sitting/contemplation while pregnant - anything else felt like it would have been too much for my LO growing inside me. and it turns out he's a fairly sensitive little guy so i guess i was right.

we're still nursing at eight months old and i've been feeling the old surges to practice, but i'm wondering if he'll get affected through mama milk or because he is carried by me most of the day.

there's not a lot of info in taoist texts about pregnancy and even less about breastfeeding. damn patriarchy ;):lol:

:) Lucky kid

I'd meditate around my kids, no energy work though. I remember my youngest would walk around me, sit in my lap, even put his fingers around my nose and squeeze. Quite a test of my calmness.

BTT, no children {unless you count my cats) so I can't help.

I think parents and children have an innate connection, which I've witnessed alot, not only in our case. Of course we read alot about that, still I preffer reffering only to what I experience.

For instance, my son can't go to sleep unless all my family is sleeping. If someone in the house is in another room still awake, he'll have a hard time going to sleep. He's two years old. When his mother has one of those days, he is also nervous and anxious.

When we practice and the Qi field of the house is balanced and clean, he is calm, relaxed and plays nicely.

I have the same experience re meditation. When I get into lotus he comes and climbs on me, playing with my nose and eyes. Of course, I can't resist much, I give it up and we start playing :lol:

:wub:

i think it depends what kind of energy work you are talking about.. what kind of practice do you do?

i know that most of the qigong i am currently learning can be safely practiced throughout pregnancy and beyond. in fact there was a pregnant woman at my recent retreat, and i was asking her about doing qigong, and she was telling how she felt the baby respond inside of her, she felt it was really positive. what a trip! i would love to experience that one day! lucky baby :)

Hmm...How do you undo what you have already done/become?

How do you not practice?

IMO, as long as you are present and grounded, shouldn't be an issue.

IMHO nothing wrong with doing red phoenix 1-2 or simple breathing (embryonic breathing, anapanasati, whatever :D ) but kl1-2-3 or rp3 I'd save for sufficiently alone time. I think if he's the sensitive type than even some loving-heart-center breathing would be just fine too, but I agree with the other folks, save the higher amperage for later!

I also think its a good idea to display a proper schedule of appropriate practices placed in what you'd consider an appropriate context for him - kids learn by mimicking, and seeing you quietly sit in the evening certainly isnt a bad thing - I'd also reiterate "lucky kid" if we're to assume that reincarnation is a given and we have at least a certain measure over where it all happens next - look at everything you've already learned and all that you have to share with him!

Edited by joeblast

I wish my mom would have practiced at the very least "mindfulness" as well as "loving kindness."

I think that might have changed a lot of things, for the better.

When your kid pulls your nose, it might just be to try to figure WTF you have growing out of your face. I think the reaction to what the kid does is very very important.

I don't have any but I think I remember being one :huh:

It seems to me as though energy practices per se, (like MCO, etc.) are not what a pregnant woman should be focused on at all. It is supremely important though, for her to take care of her inner state during the entire pregnancy, by meditating, thinking pure and lofty thoughts, listening to beautiful harmonious music, and providing conditions that will help the development of the new spirit. Avoiding conflict, unseemly and disharmonious conditions is very, very important.

Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov teaches just this very thing, in a book called 'Education Begins Before Birth". :)