Sign in to follow this  
Magia

Freediving

Yeah, in another thread I mentioned this story:

here

I saw it on tv when it aired, the woman was describing how she breathed, it sounded a lot like the Daoist breathing that I've seen taught everywhere, and she mentioned that if you just relaxed, at the beginning your lungs will start convulsing a little, but after you relax past it you reached a calm state where you can hold you breath for a long time. She uses it to swim in the ocean for long periods of time and has set a few records for free diving.

is this real?, then is he a fish? :P

No, it is not real. Unless this guy's lungs and sinus cavities are filled with water, his eardrums would have been blown out without equalizing the pressure.

Freedivers hold their breath for so long by hyperventilating, then forcing more air into the lungs by using the tongue as a bellows. Being deeply relaxed burns less oxygen. Then they must resist the pain and panic reaction when the carbon dioxide builds in the system. Convulsions are next. Surfacing is the most dangerous part of the dive when the compressed carbon dioxide is released into the brain and causes blackout. Very dangerous sport.

If you try this without strict supervision by those who know, you deserve to be taken out of the gene pool.

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

Sign in to follow this