Stumbling Taoist

Tom Bombadil My Favorite Taoist

Admittedly I am not an expert on Taoism, hence my forum name. But what I have read about Taoist masters,seems to fit in with the J.R.R.Tolkien Lord of the Rings character Tom Bombadil. Here's why:

1. Tom is happy and carefree. He lives in the moment.

2. Tom is not a materialist. He has a simple house,simple clothes, and does not desire gold or trinkets.

3. Tom loves nature. He cares for his forest and the creatures in it.

4. Tom has no desire for power. When sees the One Ring he laughs at it, though he surely knows its potential.

5. Finally, Tom is an immortal ... literally. OK, I understand actual physical immortality is not the goal of most Taoists, but Tom has it, along with the joyous attitude of Taoist immortals.

Good call.

The LOTR movies unfortunately left out Tom Bombadil (and a lot of other characters and sub-plots).

My favourite book of all time. Tolkien was a genius.

I dont know about anybody else but I am shooting for physical immortality. I see it as a necessary step towards full ascension and I love Tom Bombadil too.

I dont know about anybody else but I am shooting for physical immortality. I see it as a necessary step towards full ascension and I love Tom Bombadil too.

Forever is a very long time, and according to the current ideas on the development of the Universe, most of that time would be pretty boring. I'd settle for a couple hundred years, in good health of course. :D

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!

Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

Good post!

I haven't figured out if another well known figure, Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean films, is a Daoist or not. There's some ambiguity as to whether he plans it all out, or lives totally in the moment.

But I'm sure he transcends both of those dualities anyway :P