Dear Tao Bums,

I have been reading a book on Mantras and had some questions on how and if they work.

1. Has someone here had any experiences with Mantras?

a. If yes, are they mostly about calming, feeling some energy and the likes?

b. Or more like vision of a deity, Kundalini, healing etc.?

2. Are there Taoist Mantras? What are their applications? Are they similar to Hindu mantras i.e. invoke the energies of deities/archetypes?

3. What is the Buddhist view on Mantras? I guess then it would have to be Theravada and Vajrayana considered separately?

Theravada - Mantras here, like Buddho are mainly Shamata practices and nothing more I guess. Breath, Kasina, mantra all have similar goals.

Vajrayana - Have more to do with energy work, similar to Hindu mantras in the sense they invoke deities/buddhas/archetypes. Used for more than Shamata like earning virtues (how does chanting mantra earn virtue, not sure!), healing, escaping dangers etc. - So, mantras in Hinduism and Tibetan Buddhism are more than just points of concentration and are seeds of power which can accomplish what may seem extraordinary and transform reality.

So what is the TTB take on mantras? Simply ways to calm the mind or get into deeper states like TM/Mahesh Yogi taught (or the Theravada way). Or is there more to them as in seeds of power, connection to deities/archetypes etc.?

Thanks to all in advance.

Are there any particularly effective examples of this or similar mantras on YouTube or cds?

(this one just for the ambience - i have the CD - usually just for relaxing prior to formal practices) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDUdT5z_CBU&feature=related

Traditional Tibetan format: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJX0S3m1om0&feature=related

...and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFgoExfegQ&feature=related

This mode works the pranas:

I use this during meditation classes:

Edited by CowTao

1. Has someone here had any experiences with Mantras?

a. If yes, are they mostly about calming, feeling some energy and the likes?

Endless experiences, including what you just said... deep calming and "WOW" energy stuff. Sometimes I repeat "Om Mani Padme Hum" while in the dream state in layers very fast. Sometimes filled with light. Sometimes I would see mantras in my dreams done in graffiti lettering. LOL! I used to do graffiti as a youth. I have lots of experiences of mantra, energy and visions through mantra. It's very good to give oneself over to awakened mantra.

b. Or more like vision of a deity, Kundalini, healing etc.?

Yes... always! Due to going deep into mantra one can always call on it's power at any time in life.

3. What is the Buddhist view on Mantras? I guess then it would have to be Theravada and Vajrayana considered separately?

Mantras are reflective of the meaning. You focus on the meaning during repetition and you have it blessed by an awakened person in a particular lineage and it will carry that beings intention and you will feel it if you really connect to the lineage through your good karmas. You can always make good karmas through focus, even if you don't feel it at first, but you give yourself over to it understanding that you will feel something good eventually through focus. You always get what you focus on. Mantras hone the mind, bring it into focus on a particular intention.

There are plenty of mundane mantras, both positive and negative that people repeat deep within and you will find these out through repeating a mantra blessed by awakened lineage. Through this your own subconscious blocks will come to your awareness.

Theravada - Mantras here, like Buddho are mainly Shamata practices and nothing more I guess. Breath, Kasina, mantra all have similar goals.

Vajrayana - Have more to do with energy work, similar to Hindu mantras in the sense they invoke deities/buddhas/archetypes. Used for more than Shamata like earning virtues (how does chanting mantra earn virtue, not sure!), healing, escaping dangers etc. - So, mantras in Hinduism and Tibetan Buddhism are more than just points of concentration and are seeds of power which can accomplish what may seem extraordinary and transform reality.

Yup! :D

So what is the TTB take on mantras? Simply ways to calm the mind or get into deeper states like TM/Mahesh Yogi taught (or the Theravada way). Or is there more to them as in seeds of power, connection to deities/archetypes etc.?

Thanks to all in advance.

Yes, more to them like seeds of power and connection to deities... yes, yes. Very much so. Om Ah Hum Vajraguru Padma Siddhi Hum!

:D