TheSongsofDistantEarth

Got Any Fiction Recommendations?

Not something of literary merit. I read some reviews that it sucks story-wise, but I'm interested in the subject at the time, and I was entertained.

Adventures of a Currency Trader.

Try the The Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud. Four books in all - The Amulet Of Samarkand , The Golem's Eye, Ptolemy's Gate and The Ring of Solomon.

Thanks Chang. I really enjoyed the trilogy (the description of "The other place" was quite interesting) Bartimaeus is clever and funny ... but I've not been able to start the ring of Solomon yet as while the ending was excellent and really couldn't have gone any other way ... but .... well .... :(

it's definitly worth reading though :)

Our free ebook for December is A. A. Attanasio’s “Last Legends of Earth.” The book is one of the few rated a full 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon and it was critically acclaimed by nearly every critic who reviewed it (please note this is a repeat of one of our 2010 offerings). The coupon code for December is 9991563 and will be good through the end of December. As usual, please to to www.PPickings.com to access the book

I REALLY like Last Legends. While I just finished reading Centuries I think Last Legends is the most enjoyable story, and I got it for free back in 2010 from PPickings

I haven't read this thread but I recently reread the Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazney, so if that hasn't been mentioned, I rather enjoyed that.

To say the least.

But really my fave was Lord of Light.

And I had a comic book adaption of "A Rose for Ecclesiastes", a short story he wrote.

In paperback.

I wonder what happened to that..

I bet its a fortune on amazon/ebay...

I might reread Julian May soon.

My brother is trying to get me to read Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, would you believe.

I never read Heinlein!

I did play Avalon Hill's wargame of Starship Troopers, now that was good.

Now I really am rambling on time for led zep etc im off bye

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Yeah thas right.

Whilst incarcerated in a mental hospital with some memory confusion, my brother brought me a book in which the opening scene the protagonist finds himself in exactly the same situation, which he extricates himself from with a mix of charm, deceit, cunning, and violent action.

I decided I would just do what the staff told me to.

It's not like I'm crazy or anything.

I have no doubt my brother was oblivious to the connection.

I didn't want to flabber his gast too much by pointing it out.

Nine Princes.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Foucault's Pendulum - Eco

A prayer for Owen Meany - Irving

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Foundation - Asimov

Job - Heinlein

Amber - Zelazny

Oh and don't forget Codex Seraphinianus by Serafini, although I doubt that you'd be able to read it.