DalTheJigsaw123

Russian maths genius rejects $1m prize

Russian reclusive maths genius Grigory Perelman did not appear in Paris on Tuesday 22nd June to collect his $1m prize for solving a problem that has puzzled scientists for more than a century.

[link to www.telegraph.co.uk]

Video

Edited by LeonBasin

Russian reclusive maths genius Grigory Perelman did not appear in Paris on Tuesday 22nd June to collect his $1m prize for solving a problem that has puzzled scientists for more than a century.

[link to www.telegraph.co.uk]

Video

How very Taoist of Mr. Perleman.

"When wealth and honours lead to arrogancy, this brings its evil on itself. When the work is done, and one's name is becoming distinguished, to withdraw into obscurity is the way of Heaven."

Hopefully, now that he has definitively rejected both the Fields Medal and the Clay Institute prize he will be left in peace.

There are also 'less spiritual' reasons for rejecting prizes. For example, the Nobel and the Pulitzer prizes in my view only serve to wash clean the name of the initiator. Why should it be perverted to give hell-bent-on-war Obama the Nobel Peace Prize when Nobel produced explosives for the arms industry?

And Pulitzer waged a newspaper war with a competitor, both of them using lies and with that causing or at least helping to cause a war.(!)

You see a pattern there?

There are also 'less spiritual' reasons for rejecting prizes. For example, the Nobel and the Pulitzer prizes in my view only serve to wash clean the name of the initiator. Why should it be perverted to give hell-bent-on-war Obama the Nobel Peace Prize when Nobel produced explosives for the arms industry?

And Pulitzer waged a newspaper war with a competitor, both of them using lies and with that causing or at least helping to cause a war.(!)

You see a pattern there?

I sure do!